sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 3, 2020 7:32 pm  #1

Spring Ratings

This one's a bit off with tuning down 27% in A25-54 from the winter book, and that's with March barely affected. May is down 38% from February.

Here's your 25-54

CBC Radio One   12.8
 98.1 CHFI   11.2
 boom 97.3   10.7
 Q107   9.0
 CHUM 104.5   6.5
 680 News   5.7
 999 Virgin Radio   5.1
 KiSS 92.5    4.8
 News Talk 1010    4.2
 INDIE 88.1   4.0
 Z 1035   3.3
 102.1 The Edge   3.0
 CBC Music   2.7
 Classical 96.3 FM   1.9
 JAZZ.FM91   1.7
 GNR 640   1.5
 FLOW 93-5   1.3
 Energy 95-3   1.0
 Sportsnet 590 The FAN   .9
 Jewel 88 5   .9
 G98.7  Groove   .7
 ZoomerRadio    .6
 TSN 1050   .5
 ICI Musique   .4
 106.5 Elmnt FM   .0

Last edited by RadioAaron (June 3, 2020 7:45 pm)

June 3, 2020 7:46 pm  #2

Re: Spring Ratings

It's amazing to see CFNY so high.

June 3, 2020 8:00 pm  #3

It's amazing to me that GNR 640 continues to rate so low, especially in the middle of a pandemic. You might think there would be a higher tune in simply by virtue of being in the middle of an emergency and they're providing sometimes hour-by-hour info on it. They've never come close to 'RB in all these years and their numbers are always close to the bottom. 

Don't get me wrong - I really like some of the changes they've put in since the rebrand with Global and I'd hate to see them disappear - although what else they might even consider on AM is beyond me. But how long can they continue with an expensive format that, if you believe the numbers, relatively few tune in to?

The sports stations are showing the results of having no games as expected and as for ELMNT and its 0.0 (for the second book in a row) you could hire a hall and have more listeners. Wow. How much lower can you go than zero?

June 3, 2020 8:09 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

It's amazing to me that GNR 640 continues to rate so low, especially in the middle of a pandemic.

Speculation mixed with a bit of observation on my part, but I think awareness of the station's existence is quite low, especially after re-branding it. Bell at least occasionally spends on marketing for 1010.

June 3, 2020 8:18 pm  #5

Maybe. Corus spends nothing on promoting it, so that could be a factor. That's a shame because some of the content is actually pretty good, much better than in the old days. They've really upped their game since the Corus takeover IMHO. Too bad so few seem to have noticed.  

June 3, 2020 8:51 pm  #6

I don,t think the numbers are a true reflection of the audience 640 actually has. Their signal reach is massive and I would wager there are many vehicle radios in the hinterlands tuned to 640 AM. They are my go to when I don't have music on. I spend 12 + plus hours a day in a tow truck in the Southern Georgian Bay area. 

June 3, 2020 9:07 pm  #7

Interesting that Indie 88 beat CFNY 25-54, and CBC Music is closing in on NY. Too bad 640 doesn't do better, guess their audience is mostly 55+ like Zoomer Radio. 

Q107 had a good book, maybe being Toronto's "Rock Station" is paying off. It's not like there is a lot of rock on the radio any more.  

So Aaron, who has the number one morning show?  Any big changes? 

Radio has really taken a big hit during the pandemic revenue and ratings wise.  Let's hope the real numbers come back later in the year and this doesn't become the new normal.

June 3, 2020 9:13 pm  #8

paterson1 wrote:

CBC, and it's not even close, with a 20 share.  Looks like people are getting their info in the morning, then switching to music at home as they go about their day.

#1 commercial in the morning is Boom with an 11 share. Huge drops in the mornings at the CHRs, which happened in every market, which makes sense as younger people have been more likely to be out of their work or school routines.

June 3, 2020 9:17 pm  #9

David Bray has the charts here

June 3, 2020 9:25 pm  #10

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

CBC, and it's not even close, with a 20 share.

Question and it's not meant to be snarky. CBC Radio 1 wins mornings in just about every major market in Canada, from B.C. to the east coast. Would they do as well if they carried commercials? Or if there weren't so much taxpayer money going to them that they couldn't afford the kind of production staff most private stations can't equal? I've often wondered about that.

I listen to CBC's Toronto morning drive show here on occasion. I find it very dull and way too politically correct for my taste. Obviously, the majority doesn't agree with that assessment. But I just don't get its enduring popularity here and across the nation. 

June 3, 2020 11:47 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Question and it's not meant to be snarky. CBC Radio 1 wins mornings in just about every major market in Canada, from B.C. to the east coast. Would they do as well if they carried commercials? Or if there weren't so much taxpayer money going to them that they couldn't afford the kind of production staff most private stations can't equal? I've often wondered about that.

I listen to CBC's Toronto morning drive show here on occasion. I find it very dull and way too politically correct for my taste. Obviously, the majority doesn't agree with that assessment. But I just don't get its enduring popularity here and across the nation. 

An important point to temper this - I posted share of hours tuned. CBC has a loyal audience, many of whom listen to nothing else, and often listen to the entire show. If we go by raw numbers of who bothers to tune in in the first place (CUME) their morning show falls to #8.

Last edited by RadioAaron (June 3, 2020 11:48 pm)

June 4, 2020 7:13 am  #12

RadioAaron wrote:

#1 commercial in the morning is Boom with an 11 share.

But is that for content or personality? Stu Jeffries has been on vacation for a few weeks now. 
Drew (I think that is his name?) has been filling in.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 4, 2020 8:17 am  #13

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

#1 commercial in the morning is Boom with an 11 share.

But is that for content or personality? Stu Jeffries has been on vacation for a few weeks now. 
Drew (I think that is his name?) has been filling in.

Stu was on vacation AFTER the spring ratings were over (May 24th).

What I often wonder about the ratings that are post on here is why people continue to measure/post 12+ numbers? Buyers buy A25-54, not 12+. Stations target A25-54, not 12+. Side note: listening patterns have been seriously disrupted during Covid and overall Cume is down for everyone. I have several beliefs why some of the numbers are what they are: Comfort Food for the ears - people in times of stress/worry find comfort in the things they "know" and are "familiar with" ie: Older music they grew up with. Also, as a species we can only take so much when it comes to dire times - we have breaking points where it's information overload, which would explain larger numbers at the start of Covid for the News and talk stations but after a while... society is "okay... I need a break" and escape to avenues where they aren't inundated with information/bad news. They need hope and distraction. Classic Hits, Classic Rock and other stations that play slightly older music provide that. My thoughts. Stay well my friends. 

June 4, 2020 10:57 am  #14

Q107 ahead of CHUM?  Im impressed.   

June 4, 2020 11:29 am  #15

markow202 wrote:

Not surprising. CHUM was going after the female audience, something CHFI already has a lock.

June 4, 2020 11:44 am  #16

I guess this rating is a bit of an anomaly since listening patterns  aren't as they normally would be, with so many people not working, going to school etc.  This has impacted the number of people tuning in. The next rating period will be influenced again, hopefully by a lesser extent.

Same with the weekly TV ratings here and in the US, the numbers are  low and viewer habits have really changed since the start of the pandemic.  Actually it could be worse for conventional TV since people have  been watching streaming services even more and binge watching series more than ever over the past three months. 

Last weeks Numeris top ten highest rated shows in Canada had 4 out of the 10 most popular as news broadcasts and all from CTV.  In fact 9 of the top 30 shows were news. Just isn't a lot of original new programming on right now for network television. And with very few productions actually shooting, schedules and new programming will be off for quite a while yet.

Last edited by paterson1 (June 4, 2020 11:45 am)

June 4, 2020 2:25 pm  #17

Tickle Trunk wrote:

markow202 wrote:

Not surprising. CHUM was going after the female audience, something CHFI already has a lock.

I thought CHUM FM was always female driven? 

June 4, 2020 2:29 pm  #18

Radiowiz wrote:

Tickle Trunk wrote:

markow202 wrote:

More so since the refreshed from chumfm to simply chum.

The entire Waters family is rolling over in her grave.⚰️🧟‍♂️

June 5, 2020 2:50 am  #19

Tickle Trunk wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Tickle Trunk wrote:

More so since the refreshed from chumfm to simply chum.

The entire Waters family is rolling over in her grave.⚰️🧟‍♂️

I miss the days when CHUM-FM was a man's radio station...playing Culture Club and Duran Duran. 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

June 5, 2020 4:11 am  #20

Paul Jeffries wrote:

I miss the days when CHUM-FM was a man's radio station...playing Culture Club and Duran Duran. 
PJ

Yeah. The Lost 80's Lunch was great back in the day.

June 5, 2020 10:47 am  #21

Radiowiz wrote:

Paul Jeffries wrote:

PJ

Yeah. The Lost 80's Lunch was great back in the day.

They will play a slight hint of 80s now with their "back in the day brunch" sundays but thats about it.  

Sadly they depleted anything pre-1995 when they switched to their new "branding" now.  

June 5, 2020 9:09 pm  #22

grilled.cheese wrote:

I remember when CHUM used to be at 1331 Yonge St

And, kids, there was a time CHUM-FM was known for playing freakish hippy music and later was the first home in the GTA for Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and the like. They are also a rare case of a station that evolved its format without changing its name. 

June 6, 2020 2:37 am  #23

kevjo wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

And, kids, there was a time CHUM-FM was known for playing freakish hippy music and later was the first home in the GTA for Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and the like. They are also a rare case of a station that evolved its format without changing its name. 

Not to mention classical music before that.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

June 6, 2020 6:29 am  #24

kevjo wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

Classic ad 1984:

1050 4 years earlier:

in 2020, CHUM FM has to be careful not to be too much like Virgin Radio...

Last edited by Radiowiz (June 6, 2020 6:30 am)

June 7, 2020 9:08 pm  #25

How does Elmnt 106.5 survive with close to zero listeners? Every book I've seen has them at 0.0.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

June 7, 2020 9:39 pm  #26

Dale Patterson wrote:

How does Elmnt 106.5 survive with close to zero listeners? Every book I've seen has them at 0.0.

Are they paying for the Numeris tone to be active?

Last edited by Radiowiz (June 7, 2020 9:42 pm)

June 7, 2020 10:10 pm  #27

Radiowiz wrote:

Paying?! No, it should be free. Whether a station wants it or not. Now that would be a hole in none. 🏌️🙊

June 8, 2020 5:55 pm  #28

RadioActive wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario- CBC does well in the ratings and some people complain they have an unfair advantage over private broadcasters (because they put money into programming instead of into investors' pockets?). If they do poorly then (the same?) people complain that it's a waste of tax money. 

Interesting to compare the current Toronto ratings with the Dunford ratings from 25 years ago posted in another thread - in that book CBC was middle of the pack. CBC's budget now is smaller, I suspect, than it was then at least when you account for inflation yet they're doing much better in the ratings. Perhaps they just have a better product now, particularly in morning and afternoon drive?

Frankly, I find morning private radio rather dull. Either it's music I'm not interested in hearing or it's talk that tends to be more sensational and superficial and not particularly informed or in-depth - a lot of opinion without much in the way of actual information.

Last edited by Hansa (June 8, 2020 5:58 pm)

June 8, 2020 6:01 pm  #29

Yes, the numbers only represent stations that are paying to be there.

For example, in Vancouver, Praise 106 is sitting at a 3 or 4 share depending how you massage things, and they're in Lynden, WA.  I asked David before posting the stuff to make sure it wasn't a typo.

Radiowiz wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

June 11, 2020 5:21 pm  #30

Another look at the national numbers from Steve Faguy's Fagstein blog:

https://blog.fagstein.com/2020/06/11/radio-ratings-spring-2020/

Last edited by Media Observer (June 11, 2020 5:24 pm)