sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 25, 2020 11:20 am  #1

Over Rogers Objections, CRTC Approves New Oldies Stn. For North Bay

There will be a new voice coming to North Bay’s FM dial, although it may sound a lot like an old one. The CRTC has approved an application by Vista Radio for a new FM outlet that will operate at 90.5, with just under 49.000 watts – and will boast an oldies format.

Rogers already owns three stations in the city (Vista currently operates the other one) and complained in an intervention that the city is too small for a yet another new operation, that it’s already suffering from a lack of ad sales, that it’s not sustainable etc., etc. etc. ad nauseam.

The CRTC didn’t buy it, rebuking Rogers’ attempt to stifle competition by noting its previous studies showed there was room for a new radio voice. And then it added this:

“…the Commission notes that Rogers’ profit before interest and tax margin remains healthy and higher than both the national and provincial averages. Rogers also accounts for the majority of the market’s commercial radio revenues share.”

“…given Roger’s dominant position in the market with respect to the number of stations as well as revenue share, it is in a strong position to withstand competition from a new station by Vista.”

Nice to see the CRTC saw through the straw man arguments from a company that simply did not want more competition. The new station is expected to be up and running by May 25, 2022.

CRTC Decision

May 25, 2020 12:46 pm  #2

Re: Over Rogers Objections, CRTC Approves New Oldies Stn. For North Bay

It will be interesting to see if this actually launches anytime soon. With the advertising pie having substantially shrunk over the past two months, and the recovery likely to be slow, it might be hard to justify the startup costs.

May 25, 2020 8:55 pm  #3

Fuck Rogers

On a lighter note I just might polish up my resume

May 25, 2020 11:41 pm  #4

unclefester wrote:

Fuck Rogers 

I'd really rather not...

May 27, 2020 4:30 pm  #5

Now here's a newspaper story you rarely see these days - it's about radio and call letters.

My favourite part - Rogers was using the heritage letters, but gave them back to get a new start. Now their competition, who they tried to stop from getting the newcomer in the first place, will be taking them for their own.

New radio station reaches back in North Bay history for iconic call letters