sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 3, 2020 6:44 am  #1

Lord Black weighs in on CBC

nationalpost.com/opinion

C. Black doesn't "connect" with some on SOWNY so best that those with high blood pressure issues ignore this

Last edited by Ms. C. (May 3, 2020 6:48 am)

May 3, 2020 9:20 pm  #2

Re: Lord Black weighs in on CBC

Why does the entire media industry fawn over this crook?  His every musing is covered like he's Christ risen from the dead.  I don't have to go far to get a white male senior citizen's opinion of the CBC.  I don't need his too.

May 3, 2020 9:33 pm  #3

Prod Guy wrote:

Why does the entire media industry fawn over this crook?  His every musing is covered like he's Christ risen from the dead.  I don't have to go far to get a white male senior citizen's opinion of the CBC.  I don't need his too.

Amen, and Amen.

May 3, 2020 11:09 pm  #4

If you look up arrogant, haughty, conceited, self-important, egotistic, full of oneself, overbearing, pompous,  swaggering, boastful, blustering, patronizing, condescending, disdainful, contemptuous, vain, immodest, lofty, lordly, snobbish, snobby, overweening, supercilious, smug, pretentious, scornful, mocking, sneering, scoffing, hoity-toity, high and mighty, uppity, snooty, stuck-up or snotty in the dictionary, you get Conrad Black. 

I don't particularly like the man.

May 3, 2020 11:21 pm  #5

g121 wrote:

If you look up arrogant, haughty, conceited, self-important, egotistic, full of oneself, overbearing, pompous,  swaggering, boastful, blustering, patronizing, condescending, disdainful, contemptuous, vain, immodest, lofty, lordly, snobbish, snobby, overweening, supercilious, smug, pretentious, scornful, mocking, sneering, scoffing, hoity-toity, high and mighty, uppity, snooty, stuck-up or snotty in the dictionary, you get Conrad Black. 

All true, but it also describes many in our media and Canadians as well.  Or I guess in Conrad's case, former Canadians.

Last edited by paterson1 (May 3, 2020 11:23 pm)

May 4, 2020 8:31 am  #6

g121 wrote:

How do you really feel about the man?  I sense that you are kind of sitting on the fence here....

Are you actually a former Dominion store employee who had your pension raided by the good Lord?

Last edited by Glen Warren (May 4, 2020 8:31 am)

May 4, 2020 10:21 am  #7

I'm not sure why anyone would think a convicted fraudster is worth listening to, particularly when so much of what he writes is self-interested eg his shameless shilling for and apologetics on behalf of Trump which was in no way connected, I'm sure, with Black trying - successfully in the end - to get him to give him a pardon.  

May 4, 2020 11:04 am  #8

g121 wrote:

Conrad once described himself as.."somewhat loquacious."  Guess we could add that to the list as well.

May 4, 2020 11:49 am  #9

He's the archetypal 'idiot's idea of a smart man'.

May 5, 2020 10:24 am  #10

Hansa wrote:

I'm not sure why anyone would think a convicted fraudster is worth listening to, particularly when so much of what he writes is self-interested eg his shameless shilling for and apologetics on behalf of Trump which was in no way connected, I'm sure, with Black trying - successfully in the end - to get him to give him a pardon.  

Anyone pardoned by the tRumpster is dead to me...

May 6, 2020 6:49 pm  #11

+5 for Dial Twister !

May 8, 2020 4:47 pm  #12

Ms. C. wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

In my opinion, I enjoy his opinion. 

Coming up. shortly

Dozens wait with intense focus.

May 9, 2020 1:24 am  #13

Now if a comedian (or actor) was to make a movie about the life and times of Conrad Black instead of Rob Ford...

Last edited by betaylored (May 9, 2020 1:25 am)

May 9, 2020 9:24 am  #14

If Conrad Black marries Concetta Franconero, his name might become CONNIE FRANCIS

May 9, 2020 11:40 am  #15

Kilgore wrote:

If Conrad Black marries Concetta Franconero, his name might become CONNIE FRANCIS

And if they later divorced such (hypothetical) matrimonial union, this would make him an, wait for it... 

an ex con.

May 9, 2020 11:45 am  #16

Ms. C. wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

In my opinion, I enjoy his opinion. 

Coming up. shortly

From Conrad's lips to God's ear...
“For all its corruption and vulgarity, the political system is working,” he (Black) said (in 2016). “Donald is going to be a damned good president."

With insight like the above, I won't be betting the farm on Lord Black's reading of the tea leaves... 
https://www.tvo.org/article/conrad-black-thinks-donald-trump-is-going-to-be-a-damned-good-president

Last edited by Dial Twister (May 10, 2020 9:54 am)

May 9, 2020 3:57 pm  #17

Does he still have a chat show on MosesVisionTV? What does Moses see in him? Or do you think Black is giving Moses some money in exchange for airtime? 

May 15, 2020 3:33 pm  #18

I wish either CBC, CTV or Global would have Conrad on as a pundit once in a while.  Years ago he was  regularly on CBC but I haven't seen him on for quite a while.  The networks always seem to use the same people and should mix it up. All of them are lacking with commentators from the conservative side of the spectrum.  I do give CBC points however for using Stockwell Day on CBC News Network.  He was an unlikely choice but in fact he is a good commentator.  On the other side Tom Mulcair has been excellent for CTV in my opinion. And it also shows how the NDP blew it bouncing him as leader of the party.

May 15, 2020 4:55 pm  #19

paterson1 wrote:

I wish either CBC, CTV or Global would have Conrad on as a pundit once in a while.  Years ago he was  regularly on CBC but I haven't seen him on for quite a while.  The networks always seem to use the same people and should mix it up. All of them are lacking with commentators from the conservative side of the spectrum.  I do give CBC points however for using Stockwell Day on CBC News Network.  He was an unlikely choice but in fact he is a good commentator.  On the other side Tom Mulcair has been excellent for CTV in my opinion. And it also shows how the NDP blew it bouncing him as leader of the party.

From what I heard, the Conservative Party blew it not recruiting Mulcair as a candidate when they had a chance before he joined the NDP.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tom-mulcair-s-tory-talks-why-the-story-s-back-again-and-who-benefits-1.3133761

Last edited by 6079 Smith W (May 15, 2020 4:57 pm)

May 15, 2020 9:50 pm  #20

Also, the comments on this thread are an insightful window on the narcissists of the Big Yellow Board, while  unfortunately adding nothing to any kind of educated assessment of Lord Black. Spare us your petty spite folks, it rings very hollow when weighed against his published record.

May 15, 2020 10:18 pm  #21

6079 Smith W wrote:

Also, the comments on this thread are an insightful window on the narcissists of the Big Yellow Board, while  unfortunately adding nothing to any kind of educated assessment of Lord Black. Spare us your petty spite folks, it rings very hollow when weighed against his published record.

Well in my case, not an assessment, just an opinion.   Also, it is pretty hard to recruit someone who doesn't want to join.

Last edited by paterson1 (May 15, 2020 10:26 pm)

May 16, 2020 1:43 am  #22

6079 Smith W wrote:

Published record or criminal record?

May 16, 2020 1:58 pm  #23

Prod Guy wrote:

6079 Smith W wrote:

Published record or criminal record?

Case in point.

May 16, 2020 8:13 pm  #24

6079 Smith W wrote:

Conrad Black: Trump is nailing it (but the mainstream media would never tell you that)
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/conrad-black-trump-is-nailing-it-but-the-mainstream-media-would-never-tell-you-that?video_autoplay=true

Trump nailing it ?!?!  That's some damn fine BS gaslighting.

Black's an idiot, con man or criminal.  Pick one, pick them all, doesn't matter.  That's the assessment. 

May 17, 2020 5:37 am  #25

Charlie wrote:

Who would you rather listen to, Lord Black or Kelly Cutrara?  Be honest.

Apples or oranges, chalk or grilled.cheese, Molson or Corona . . . 

May 18, 2020 11:57 am  #26

In 2001...Black renounced his Canadian citizenship, remaining a United Kingdom citizen, which allowed him to accept the peerage (Baron Black of Crossharbour) without further controversy.

In 2007, he was convicted on four counts of fraud in U.S. District Court in Chicago. While two of the criminal fraud charges were dropped on appeal, a conviction for felony fraud and obstruction of justice were upheld in 2010 and he was re-sentenced to 42 months in prison and a fine of $125,000. In 2018, Black wrote a flattering biography of Donald Trump. In 2019, Trump granted him a full presidential pardon. (That alone should disqualify him from anything but membership in tRump's Grifter Club).

The Governor General of Canada, David Johnston, announced Black's removal from the Order of Canada and his expulsion from the Queen's Privy Council for Canada in January 2014.

Oh, and lets not forget his cavalier, money-grabbing treatment of Dominion Store pensioners. These character faults tell us everything we need to know about this former-Canadian huckster. His opinions may entertain the easily-entertained, but I try to avoid hearing from this ex-con, former-Canadian (now musing about re-applying when the coast is clear) miscreant whenever possible.

May 18, 2020 5:24 pm  #27

All the negatives about Black are mostly true. And yes he defends Mr. Trump since the prez sprung him from jail a bit early. If Black outlives Trump no doubt we will hear what he really thinks of the 45th US president or if his words of support are just a part of a "gentleman's deal" with Trump.  At some point we will find out. 

In my humble opinion, Black should be heard and and seen from time to time on our media, and on a national basis.  Why? Because hate him or love him he gets a response.

Look at this little post and all the reaction and views.  Go on the National Post site where he and Rex Murphy normally get the most response and comments from their articles..  I still miss Rex on the National. I love the way he is critical of his old employer but still doesn't totally trash them either. Hhhmm..I wonder if Rex leaving The National in June 2017 had any impact on their ratings or was it all Peter?

I like the way that Black and Murphy actually say something.  So many of our regular "pundits" on CBC, CTV, Global are so predictable and don't really say much.

All three networks will have have someone sort of from the left, sort of from the right, and someone else sort of in the middle.  Really riveting broadcasting? NOT. Some pundits also seem to have weak qualifications, or only a mouthpiece for an industry or union, and a few not well suited for television or radio..

Black's opinions are not boring. I love the way he challenges Canada, Canadians, our government and society to stop being so second rate and mediocre. If you read his columns it is obvious he does love his country, but he is tired of the way many Canadians seem to be so disengaged, complain endlessly and tend to sleepwalk their way through life. Initially a supporter of Trudeau, now he is one of his biggest critics. 

Our somewhat lazy, boring, second rate, news media needs more people on air like Conrad Black, not less.  And not only from the right but left and squishy middle as well.  People who at times say unpopular things, make others justify their biases and get the viewer or listener fired up or applauding the discussion. 

The pundits I see on TV and on radio now often sound uninterested and some haven't said anything new or interesting in the past decade.   I don't mean shout fests, infotainment news, or extreme polarization, but commentators who question norms and attitudes and stand by what they believe, and can justify and clearly articulate their opinions with facts. People that make you think, and force you to reevaluate your own positions and biases, and at least consider another point of view.  

When Conrad owned Southam years ago, for over a year the newspaper where I was working ran a weekly Saturday editorial from his wife, Barbara Amiel.  In fact we had no choice, all of the papers ran her column.  Guess what happened?

From the first week, her editorials generated many local letters to the editor (initially mostly negative but not all).  In fact she was the only columnist that provoked regular discussion every single week.  And not only that, when calling on advertising customers, I was astounded how many advertisers would comment on Amiels articles.

After many, many years, people on the street were talking about the paper again.  As Austin Powers would say, we got our mojo back.  Even on local talk radio, callers would comment on Amiel's opinion pieces. 

Within a few months it was obvious Barbara Amiel's editorials had become a must read every Saturday in our paper. I always made sure I was up to date on her content since at some point her name and her opinions would likely come up in conversation.

So if only for this, someone like Conrad should be sought out by media, and not ignored. The challenge would be to find Black's opposite to challenge him in debate and make him justify his viewpoint.  Then the viewer/listener is a more engaged and informed citizen. 

Who knows, politics and our news media might even become interesting and even fun again. 

Last edited by paterson1 (May 18, 2020 5:28 pm)

May 18, 2020 5:58 pm  #28

paterson1 wrote:

Guess what happened?

According to some, she used her skills to soften his hardness.

June 26, 2020 5:54 pm  #29

Has anyone noticed that Lord Black's Friday pronouncements seem to have disappeared from 640's airwaves? Second week in a row that he hasn't been on in his old Friday 4:30 slot. No mention of his absence. Has he gone the way of Sue-Ann Levy? 

June 28, 2020 4:12 pm  #30

RadioActive wrote:

Has anyone noticed that Lord Black's Friday pronouncements seem to have disappeared from 640's airwaves?

No, but apparently someone in charge at the station had a moment of clarity.