sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 6, 2020 5:11 pm  #1

Singer Adele, rocking the mini-skirt for her 32nd birthday

This photo-op of Adele, stepping out to give thanks to medical front line workers and talk it up with fans (from a distance), has sparked a lot of eye balls, she seems a bit trimmer and showing off some legs...in a black mini-skirt.

She's honouring here 32nd birthday and encouraging us to laugh, love and live.

Here is more on the pop diva...rocking the "mini"...

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/2020/05/06/adeles-instagram-birthday-picture-creates-stir-highlights-coronavirus-heroes.html

P.S. When her hit song (Rolling in the Deep) came out 5-6 years ago I loved it...but boy did radio ever over-do it and after about the 6th week, I began to scream "Turn it off", I mean I couldn't tolerate it anymore and the only other song that had that effect on me was Seasons in the Sun, by Terry Jacks and that was Cancon too!

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (May 6, 2020 5:12 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

May 6, 2020 6:46 pm  #2

Re: Singer Adele, rocking the mini-skirt for her 32nd birthday

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

... I mean I couldn't tolerate it anymore and the only other song that had that effect on me was Seasons in the Sun, by Terry Jacks and that was Cancon too!

LOL .. are you the brother I didn't know I had?

Seasons in the Sun, by Terry Jacks is one the most cringe worthy, nails on a chalkboard, nausea inducing songs ever recorded.  Sometimes When We Touch by Dan Hill is a distant 2nd.  

May 6, 2020 7:12 pm  #3

g121 wrote:

... one the most cringe worthy, nails on a chalkboard, nausea inducing songs ever recorded. 

Well, don't forget the 1976 diddy "Shannon" by Henry Gross....  

May 6, 2020 10:21 pm  #4

And, how about "Last Song" by Edward Bear. (also cancon)

May 6, 2020 10:21 pm  #5

And, how about "Last Song" by Edward Bear. (also cancon)

May 6, 2020 11:12 pm  #6

Okay, next weekend the most Cringe Worthy songs...I have a few...

1) I started a joke-The BeeGee's
2) At 17- Janis Ian
3) Fast Cars- Tracy Chapman
4) Alone again naturally- Gilbert Sullivan

If those songs don't make you snuggle up close to a Covid patient without a mask, then I just don't know what others will... (dark humour here...)

Cheers all! 

May 6, 2020 11:46 pm  #7

All the "hates" all the time..just a few that make me change the station 

Afternoon Delight- Starlight Vocal Band
Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast- Wayne Newton
Summer Girl- Craig Ruhnke
Last Kiss-Pearl Jam (dreadful cover) 
Cocaine- Eric Clapton 
Party All The Time- Eddie Murphy
Makin It Work-Doug and the Slugs
Big Yellow Taxi-Counting Crows (dreadful cover)
All 4 One- I Swear (oh I'll swear alright..)

Last edited by paterson1 (May 6, 2020 11:59 pm)

May 7, 2020 5:27 am  #8

Yes yes! yes!! to all the cringe worthy songs you've named so far, and I will add "We Built This City" by Starship, or as I used to call it, "We Built This Sh*tty" and a dishonorable mention must go to Simple Minds "Don't You Forget About Me" they're one of my favorite bands, but I played that song to. death.

3 more:
Katrina and the Waves "Walking On Sunshine"
The Icicle Works "Birds Fly (Whisper to a Scream)"
and Luba "Everytime I See Your Picture"

Last edited by betaylored (May 7, 2020 5:37 am)

May 7, 2020 7:01 am  #9

Seasons in the Sun - Terry Jacks
Sugar, Sugar - Archies
Love Me, Love Me, Love - Frank Mills
Sometimes When We Touch - Dan Hill
You Won't See Me - Anne Murray

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

May 7, 2020 7:21 am  #10

Hey paterson1: I noticed you have Cocaine by Eric Clapton on your list of dreadful songs. How do you feel about the original J.J. Cale version from the Troubador album? Personally, I prefer it to the Clapton version. Same with After Midnight.

May 7, 2020 9:38 am  #11

Many of the songs listed were HUGE hits. In some cases, the dislike is simply from radio overplay. Would people feel differently if the song peaked at #31 instead of rocketing to the top ten. Several, I still like [Walking On Sunshine] Others, I have loathed since they were originally released [Seasons In The Sun, The Last Song]                              Here are three songs that have the nails on a blackboard effect on me. 1. Loving You-Minnie Ripperton 2. Honey-Bobby Goldsboro 3. Snowbird-Anne Murray. 

May 7, 2020 12:51 pm  #12

mace wrote:

Hey paterson1: I noticed you have Cocaine by Eric Clapton on your list of dreadful songs. How do you feel about the original J.J. Cale version from the Troubador album? Personally, I prefer it to the Clapton version. Same with After Midnight.

I don't like either version. Long, boring, depressing song that is so repetitive. Hated when I had to play it over and over on the radio.
Like Eric Clapton alright, but hated the song Cocaine right from the first time I heard it.

Other's on the "hate list" (this is more fun than the songs I really like!)

KOKOMO- Beach Boys
Here I Am- Air Supply
Ace of Base- I Saw the Signs
Bruno Mars- 24K Magic
Terry Jacks- Hey Country Girl
Rupert Holmes- Escape
One Night in Bangkok- Murray Head
Pass the Dutchie-  Musical Youth
Inner Ninja- Classified
I'm a Sailor- Mel Deacon

May 7, 2020 3:16 pm  #13

Having My Baby - Paul Anka, the instant birth control song

May 7, 2020 6:46 pm  #14

Oh, here's one that is interesting that I almost forgot. 
I've Never Been to Me- Charlene

What makes this song doubly terrible is the fact it was released in 1977 and was a minor hit (we played it in Thunder Bay) and then it was re-released in 1982 and became a major hit, so we were subjected to this awful song all over again! 

Another of note around 1977 would be
Got to Keep the Dogs Away- Thor (he should have stuck with body building)

And speaking of dogs..
Who Let the Dogs Out- Baha Men (a fun song if you are a six year old)

And finally something slightly more current but still bottom of the heap for me...
Can't Stop the Feeling- Justin Timberlake (where's the barf bag??)

May 7, 2020 6:51 pm  #15

Think our girl Adele discovered Keto!!! Looking great!

May 7, 2020 8:45 pm  #16

paterson1 wrote:

What makes this song doubly terrible is the fact it was released in 1977 and was a minor hit (we played it in Thunder Bay) and then it was re-released in 1982 and became a major hit, so we were subjected to this awful song all over again! 

And speaking of dogs..

And finally something slightly more current but still bottom of the heap for me...

I have to admit that I like some of the lame-o stuff you hate .....lol.  My mom loved that Charlene track, but what worsened it in 1982, was that they added that spoken portion during the instrumental break.  CHSC played the non-spoken version in 1982 (which I guess was the same version released in 1977)

Bruno Mars' "24K Magic" is excellent.  It reminds me of 80s R&B.  Not sure what it is you hate about that one.  Murray Head - I'm sorry but I really liked that one, and I agree that "Escape" was a tad overrated but I like Rupert Holmes' "Him".  And I admit that I like it most because I can imagine visiting someone's house and they have it playing on the 8-track player, while they play cards at the table, with a half-empty ashtray..  Pure Nostalgia!  Don't I just nauseate you guys?  LOL

I agree with you on Eric Clapton's "After Midnight", but I do agree that JJ Cale's version is VERY good.  I never knew that he also performed Cocaine.  Hmmm!

@betaylored singled out the Icicle Works?  Really?  That's a great song.  I'm shocked!

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

May 7, 2020 11:24 pm  #17

J.J. Cale wrote both Cocaine and After Midnight.

May 8, 2020 2:38 pm  #18

Jody my friend, that is the beauty of music.  It is so personal and varied.  If you bring 20 people into a room, music is the one thing that you will never get 100% agreement on. There will always be songs that some people really like and others in the same group not like.  Even though there won't be agreement on what is a good or bad song, for the individual, you are always 100% correct on which songs are good or bad to your ears!

By the way, when I would say "hate" it was for comedic purposes.  I actually hate very few things in this world. 

But then again....There is Bryan Adams and Tina Turner- It's Only Love (they sound like two cats with sore throats!!! and the video, please don't even go there...).

I like both the Eric Clapton and JJ Cale's version of After Midnight.  It was Cocaine, which I have heard many bands do over the years and have never liked any version of the song.  I am sure it is one of Eric's most popular numbers in concert, likely one he would do in an encore...

Last edited by paterson1 (May 8, 2020 3:12 pm)

May 8, 2020 3:12 pm  #19

paterson1 wrote:

Jody my friend, that is the beauty of music.  It is so personal and varied.  If you bring 20 people into a room, music it is the one thing that you will never get 100% agreement on. .....
By the way, when I would say "hate" it was for comedic purposes.  I actually hate very few things in this world. 

But then again....There is Bryan Adams and Tina Turner- It's Only Love (they sound like two cats with sore throats!!! and the video, please don't even go there...).

Absolutely get you.  No misunderstanding of the word "hate" at all.  All in fun, I get it completely.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

May 8, 2020 4:19 pm  #20

Instead of "hate" perhaps "dislike immensely" would be more appropriate. 

May 8, 2020 4:58 pm  #21

Paperlace contributed not one but two toxic "hits" Billy Don't Be A Hero, and The Night Chicago Died.
Even The Beatles were not immune.  The Ballad of Rocky Raccoon.

May 8, 2020 7:50 pm  #22

Hey Newsguy1, I don't want to be picky, but Billy don't be a hero was sung by Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods...it was a hit back in the day, but alas Josh Donaldson, out hit him, thank God!

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (May 8, 2020 7:52 pm)

May 8, 2020 8:02 pm  #23

"Billy Don't Be A Hero" was actually done by both Paper Lace (in the U.K.) and Bo Donaldson (in North America.)

I always loved it when DJs would introduce the song as "the story of a man who ran off to become a sandwich."

May 9, 2020 1:04 am  #24

Jody Thornton wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

And speaking of dogs..

I have to admit that I like some of the lame-o stuff you hate .....lol.  My mom loved that Charlene track, but what worsened it in 1982, was that they added that spoken portion during the instrumental break.  CHSC played the non-spoken version in 1982 (which I guess was the same version released in 1977)

Bruno Mars' "24K Magic" is excellent.  It reminds me of 80s R&B.  Not sure what it is you hate about that one.  Murray Head - I'm sorry but I really liked that one, and I agree that "Escape" was a tad overrated but I like Rupert Holmes' "Him".  And I admit that I like it most because I can imagine visiting someone's house and they have it playing on the 8-track player, while they play cards at the table, with a half-empty ashtray..  Pure Nostalgia!  Don't I just nauseate you guys?  LOL

I agree with you on Eric Clapton's "After Midnight", but I do agree that JJ Cale's version is VERY good.  I never knew that he also performed Cocaine.  Hmmm!

@betaylored singled out the Icicle Works?  Really?  That's a great song.  I'm shocked!

The Icicle Works tune is not exactly a terrible song Jody, but I do cringe, it brings back traumatic memories of being on a crowded dance floor and trying to figure out how to bop to it without looking like a flying flamingo choking on a large fish.

I do like to cringe-enjoy a number of the songs mentioned, in that "they're so bad they're good" way, kind of like watching the 80's movie gem "Rhinestone" with Sylvester Stallone and Dolly Parton. If you've run out of things to watch during the pandemic, I highly recommend it, it's an inexpensive little movie that's a hoot.

I enjoy it on Newstalk 1010 when Robert Turner plays a bit of Soft Cell's "Tainted Love" every now and then during "Moore In The Morning" to bug John who has always been very vocal about how much he loathes that song.

Last edited by betaylored (May 9, 2020 1:06 am)

May 9, 2020 6:00 pm  #25

betaylored wrote:

Jody Thornton wrote:

I enjoy it on Newstalk 1010 when Robert Turner plays a bit of Soft Cell's "Tainted Love" every now and then during "Moore In The Morning" to bug John who has always been very vocal about how much he loathes that song.

JJ Cale's a gem.  After Midnight, Clyde, Crazy Mama, Cocaine, Call Me the Breeze .. so many great tunes .. such understated, simple elegance .. we saw him at the Humanities Theatre at University of Waterloo; a fine show.

Robert Turner's a blast; a great sense of humour & delivery style .. a perfect foil to John Moore.

May 9, 2020 8:27 pm  #26

In addition to "Tainted Love" John Moore also immensely dislikes "Seasons In The Sun" I agree with the latter, but not the former.