sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 2, 2020 5:47 pm  #1

Have A Good VPN? You May Be Able To Take Advantage Of This Freebie

It's a rarity when a U.S. pay cable network like HBO gives away anything for free. But thanks to all the COVID-19 stay-at-homes, the American network has announced it plans to give some 500 hours of its biggest shows away, beginning on April 3rd.

It's not clear how long hits like "Veep," "Silicon Valley" "The Sopranos," "The Wire" and docu-dramas like "McMillions," along with selected movies, will be available. Every story I've been able to find on this only says it will be for a "limited time." The complete list is at the link below. 

So if your VPN works and can reach HBONow.com, this is your chance to take advantage of it. Of course Bell won't be too happy if you do. Their Crave service owns the rights to most of the big HBO shows in Canada.

HBO To Stream 500 Hours Of Free Programming, Including Full Seasons Of ‘Veep’, ‘The Wire’, ‘Silicon Valley’

April 3, 2020 5:51 pm  #2

Re: Have A Good VPN? You May Be Able To Take Advantage Of This Freebie

Just tried it and it works perfectly! Lots to choose from - I just wish I knew how long we had until it's over. 

April 3, 2020 7:11 pm  #3

I tried it using the Opera browser's built-in VPN, and after forcing it to be seen as being in "the Americas" I was able to access the site. But, because HBO wants credit card info, so's they can charge after-the-fact of the free trial period.

I declined and therefore do not know if it would actually have worked.

April 3, 2020 7:14 pm  #4

I went to HBOgo.com and wasn't asked for any info. I then saw a menu of shows on the home page under the words "free" and I picked an episode of Veep - which played after an HBO promo. That said, I've found the Opera VPN doesn't always work too well. 

April 3, 2020 7:23 pm  #5

A number of VPNs offer a free trial - with limited amounts of MB you can use per month.

If you want to try and see if one works for you, check out TunnelBear.com and choose the free option. 

April 3, 2020 9:10 pm  #6

it worked for me - no credit card needed.

April 3, 2020 9:56 pm  #7

I use expressvpn. Worked perfectly. I watched the first six episodes of The Sopranos. Still love that theme song. A little freaky seeing the twin towers in the opening credits.

April 3, 2020 10:07 pm  #8

there are a couple of weaker free vpns that work as add ons to firefox or chrome.  i find they work about 50% of the time.  for awhile i was getting the bbc and channel4 sites.bbc got smart.
problem is that every time my firefox updates, it doesn't recognize the add on unless it's been updated at the same time.
do not use ghost vpn.  the leaks are not worth it for the free version.

April 3, 2020 10:10 pm  #9

i also have a question about paid vpns.  they protect the computer or device accessing content, but what about my bell router?  wouldn't that IP still be visible? 
When I asked Nord, they said i had to modify my router so that all devices would be invisible to make their product fully effective.

April 3, 2020 10:19 pm  #10

I am with Rogers. Not being a tech guy, how does one "modify" their router? One thing I have learned, if I want to use my Sonos box, the VPN must be turned off.

April 3, 2020 10:44 pm  #11

splunge wrote:

i also have a question about paid vpns.  they protect the computer or device accessing content, but what about my bell router?  wouldn't that IP still be visible? 
When I asked Nord, they said i had to modify my router so that all devices would be invisible to make their product fully effective.

This is correct.  If you activate VPN on your router, all devices connected to the router will use the VPNs IP address, not your ISPs IP address.  You can verify yourself by activating the router VPN then on your internet session, go to a site like whatismyipaddress.com to show what IP address the internet sees for you.

mace wrote:

I am with Rogers. Not being a tech guy, how does one "modify" their router? One thing I have learned, if I want to use my Sonos box, the VPN must be turned off.

I've got an Asus RT-AC86U router.  Adding a VPN to the router is easy peasy.
Grab the .OVPN file from your VPN vendor.  Upload the .OVPN file into your Router VPN Client and add your VPN ID & password.  You're now good-to-go.  All traffic from any device connected to your router now uses the VPN IP address, not your ISP IP address.

I'm currently using stock Asus RT-AC86U router firmware as it meets my current need.  If you need to get more fancy, like run a single device (by MAC address) thru your WAN (ie. your ISPs IP address) and the rest of the router devices thru the VPNs IP address, you can load Merlin software onto your Asus router (Merlin is an enhanced version of Asus router firmware).   Merlin website is https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/ .

You can add multiple VPN profiles .. say 1 for Toronto, 1 for New York & 1 for London, England to meet your geo-location needs.

Last edited by g121 (April 3, 2020 10:54 pm)

April 26, 2020 3:16 pm  #12

Haven't taken advantage of the VPN-aided HBO freebie in the U.S.? Your time is running out.

HBO’s Free Streaming Binge-a-Thon Expires This Week