sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 20, 2020 11:01 pm  #1

Bell Blacking Out Sports Reruns. Reruns!!

Yes I know it is hard to believe but sadly true.

Flipping through the Bell sports channels today & on TSN2 a game featuring my favourite NHL team!!

But....wait....what's this I read??

"This game is not available in your area".

A 4 year old rerun can't be shown in my area? Really??

So the tv screen carries that notice for "my area" for the 60 minutes or 90 minutes it takes to run the program everywhere else on a channel i pay for

Does this make any sense to anyone?  Is there any logic to what Bell is doing here?

Or are they as I have always suspected a bunch of sick fucking bastards?

Last edited by unclefester (April 21, 2020 6:28 pm)

April 21, 2020 11:37 am  #2

Re: Bell Blacking Out Sports Reruns. Reruns!!

Rogers wouldn't be imposing the blackout... that would be Bell which owns and operates TSN.

Last edited by zed (April 21, 2020 11:38 am)

April 21, 2020 12:15 pm  #3

unclefester wrote:

Is there any logic to what Rogers is doing here?

It's not Rogers, it's Bell doing the blocking. 
I'm not sure if this helps or not, but there is a shortage of reruns to cover.
Maybe Bell is going to air that same rerun here later on but did not want viewers to see it twice. 
(securing more interest in viewership)
https://www.torontomike.com/2020/04/running_out_of_sports_reruns.html

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 21, 2020 2:16 pm  #4

Instead of reruns of old games, why not air scripted programming? Last month, I read about a Taiwanese sports channel replacing their cancelled games with a basketball animated series from Japan. That show was dubbed in English, in Toronto, no less. I'm not sure Bell or Rogers would go for that and there aren't tonnes of modern sports dramas, but it's an angle that wouldn't result in mindboggling rerun blackouts.

April 21, 2020 6:29 pm  #5

Bell it is 

Same bullshit 

April 23, 2020 12:15 am  #6

It's not Bell or Rogers doing the blackout.  It's the NHL.  The league always determines blackouts, never the broadcaster. 

=16pxRegional blackouts are a mandate of the NHL, designed to cultivate and protect a team’s home market. Every team in the NHL has a number of “regional” games–which are sold by the team to a regional broadcaster and are available only to those in a team’s broadcast region–and “national” games, which are available for anyone to watch from coast-to-coast.

https://nhllive.com/en/support-game-availability

Last edited by Prod Guy (April 23, 2020 12:18 am)

April 23, 2020 12:32 am  #7

Prod Guy wrote:

It's not Bell or Rogers doing the blackout.  It's the NHL.  The league always determines blackouts, never the broadcaster. 

That information is false. NHL is only responsible for blocking live content.
"Encore presentation" does not apply. 

April 23, 2020 12:46 am  #8

Retaw wrote:

Instead of reruns of old games, why not air scripted programming? Last month, I read about a Taiwanese sports channel replacing their cancelled games with a basketball animated series from Japan. That show was dubbed in English, in Toronto, no less. I'm not sure Bell or Rogers would go for that and there aren't tonnes of modern sports dramas, but it's an angle that wouldn't result in mindboggling rerun blackouts.

the TSN/Sportsnet licences don't allow for much scripted programming.  that's why they haven't adopted the all "Slapshot" format already.  they are required to produce a specific amount of live or live to tape content each day, mostly CanCon.  Sry, I haven't looked up the CRTC licence details, but that's why they aren't carrying movies or other tv series.  Maybe they should buy the rights to Takeshi's Castle or American Gladiators.... something just to kill time and almost sports-ish?

April 23, 2020 12:53 am  #9

Radiowiz wrote:

Prod Guy wrote:

It's my understanding that rogers has the right via their NHL agreement to dole out regional rights in Canada.  So TSN only has the rights to broadcast  Leafs games to TSN4 (Ontario region) for example, and they are obligated to block Leaf broadcasts to their other markets. 

This could be part of the contract that includes legacy games?  i dunno, just a hypothesis.

April 23, 2020 1:01 am  #10

Radiowiz wrote:

Prod Guy wrote:

So someone at TSN decided to intentionally broadcast three hours of dead air to the majority of country on one its feeds in prime time?  Interesting theory.  Sportsnet Pacific is forced to blackout the replay of a 4 pm game when it airs again at 7 all the time.  

April 23, 2020 12:01 pm  #11

Prod Guy wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Prod Guy wrote:

So someone at TSN decided to intentionally broadcast three hours of dead air to the majority of country on one its feeds in prime time?  Interesting theory.  Sportsnet Pacific is forced to blackout the replay of a 4 pm game when it airs again at 7 all the time.  

They have the right through "written consent" to air any "encore" hockey game of choice.  There may have been some reason for not releasing the permission.

However, at the end of the day, when all is said and done, those broadcasts are the property of the NHL and they can have final say...but I doubt they'd prevent the airing of "encore presentations" given the current situation.
(game pending)