sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 22, 2020 3:55 pm  #1

John Moore Slags His Former All Night Lead In On Air

It’s not often you hear a morning man dissing a show that used to proceed him, but that’s what happened on Wednesday morning. I woke up early, turned on the radio and heard CFRB’s John Moore playing a clip from Jason Agnew’s relatively new overnight program, in an effort to promote it.

After the segment ran, Moore came back on to remind listeners when it was on, and then noted he vastly preferred a “local” show (even though it’s national) than a syndicated program that deals with crazy conspiracies and UFOs. It wasn’t lost on anyone that he was referring to Coast To Coast AM. (And yes, I'm aware a reroll of The Rush and Robert Turner are actually the lead-ins to Moore's show.) 

My question: what happens when this virus insanity ends? Will Bell quash the Agnew show in favour of its former and likely cheaper time slot inhabitant and restore George Noory back to his Canadian prominence?

I’m sure no one will remember that he slagged one of his station’s major program planks that airs every morning for over 4 or 5 hours at a time, and he’s certainly entitled to his opinion. (Which I don’t entirely disagree with.) But you rarely hear a morning host take even minor issue with a programming choice on his own station.

I actually found his candor kind of refreshing.

April 22, 2020 4:04 pm  #2

Re: John Moore Slags His Former All Night Lead In On Air

By the way, the Coast website still lists CFRB and some of the other Bell affiliates as carrying the show every night. But my favourite in the list has to be "AM 800 CKLW" which is listed in the American section as being from "Bingham Falls, Michigan." I guess Windsor is just the mailing address...

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/stations

April 22, 2020 9:53 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

By the way, the Coast website still lists CFRB and some of the other Bell affiliates as carrying the show every night. But my favourite in the list has to be "AM 800 CKLW" which is listed in the American section as being from "Bingham Falls, Michigan." I guess Windsor is just the mailing address...

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/stations

That's where Bell Media's Detroit sales office was, when they had one.

April 22, 2020 11:32 pm  #4

You have to admit listing CKLW as a Michigan station - even with that killer signal - is a bit of a stretch. (The fact it starts with a "C" should be a dead giveaway!) My guess is because it's the only Detroit area affiliate, they decided to list it that way. Not that important in the grand scheme of things, but I still found it curious.

April 23, 2020 7:25 am  #5

I looked up Bingham Falls yesterday. It seems to be about 10-15 miles from Downtown Detroit.

April 23, 2020 9:21 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

You have to admit listing CKLW as a Michigan station - even with that killer signal - is a bit of a stretch. (The fact it starts with a "C" should be a dead giveaway!) My guess is because it's the only Detroit area affiliate, they decided to list it that way. Not that important in the grand scheme of things, but I still found it curious.

It would have meant the syndicator could claim Detroit clearance (ad rates) -- much more lucrative than Windsor clearance. The CHUM/CTV/Bell Deatroit sales office brought in some really good money, mostly from 89X, back in the 90s and 2000s.

Last edited by RadioAaron (April 23, 2020 9:22 pm)

April 24, 2020 12:47 am  #7

Being able to hear another human voice talking to you and all the other night owls/insomniacs is extra reassuring during this pandemic... but holy Hannah doing midnights is a tough shift to do, it's debatable which is harder, midnights, swing, or mornings.

Jason Agnew and Drex... there's the Rush rerolls then the Early Edition with Robert Turner.. to use a British expression, we late night listeners are spoiled for choice.