sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 19, 2020 8:56 am  #1

Sim Sub Rules for Events Like The One World Concert

I was flipping through the channels yesterday during the coronavirus benefit and I noticed that on WGRZ they were carrying the Global feed. The concert was on multiple stations and networks. What are the rules for substitutions for such an event.  Event specific or does it depend on what US network the station may have been planning to show at the time regularly ?

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

April 19, 2020 10:31 am  #2

Re: Sim Sub Rules for Events Like The One World Concert

I get Detroit TV on Bell Fibe, and I am sure one of the US stations (CBS 62 I think) didn't have a simsub, and I believe that NBC didn't have a simsub either.  But I do know that at least one of the US stations was carrying either the Global or CTV feed. I was flipping around the dial a bit.  CTV did have regular advertising during some of the commercial breaks.  I didn't know that CBC was also carrying the broadcast, don't remember them being mentioned in the press release. I am not sure simsub actually needs to be done on something like this, but maybe the cable companies did it regardless if the station was carrying some actual advertising.  

April 19, 2020 12:29 pm  #3

All you missed due to a sim sub is a bunch of ads for prescription drugs that are not available here in Canada and a bunch of cell phone ads for companies that are not operating here in Canada. 
Nothing special. 
For once, I have to admit the Canadian side had better commercials.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 19, 2020 5:02 pm  #4

Global simsubbed NBC, CTV over CBS and CITY over ABC. As usual, west coast feeds from Seattle were fine.

April 19, 2020 8:57 pm  #5

Radiowiz wrote:

All you missed due to a sim sub is a bunch of ads for prescription drugs that are not available here in Canada and a bunch of cell phone ads for companies that are not operating here in Canada. 
Nothing special. 
For once, I have to admit the Canadian side had better commercials.

I get you about the annoying American commercials I see them over the air and on cable but the ones that really irritate are the Canadian TV ad avails on cable ( are hey still called that ?). They are constantly repeated and are sometimes out of date. I think I saw a commercial for the Junos on one ad avail after the event had already been cancelled for a few days. I want to pull a Keith Moon and throw the TV set out the window when I see an oft repeated one.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

April 20, 2020 12:03 am  #6

Totally agree with you about the incredibly repetitive and often vacuous ad avails. And yes, I remember seeing those Juno ads after the event had been cancelled. I'm on Rogers, and I've wondered if other companies are as bad for that kind of thing. 

April 20, 2020 8:45 am  #7

I guess FOX was the only mainline network that didn't broadcast the One World Concert?  To their credit, FOX did team up with iHeart Radio with a benefit special hosted by Elton John near the end of March.   The One World Concert had a more direct connection with the World Health Organization.  President Trump of late has not been a fan of this organization, along with FOX News.

April 20, 2020 8:55 am  #8

There certainly won't be any sim sub concerns next weekend when a similar all-Canuck effort airs on every major Canadian station, including, CTV, CBC, City TV and Global - this time in an effort to aid local food banks 

April 26 Canada Benefit To Support Foodbanks: Celine, Shania, Margaret Atwood Among Those Committed

April 20, 2020 9:02 am  #9

Didn't watch the One World telecast. I will pass on this one too.

April 20, 2020 1:00 pm  #10

I only saw part of it on TV, but it was also simulcast on several radio stations across the country. And I have to admit in hindsight, I wonder how well that went. There was never any real introduction of most of the artists (other than a supered key, which wouldn't have been very useful on radio) and it certainly would not have been as easy to follow without seeing who was on when.

While it was filled with music, it certainly wasn't something that could be as easily experienced on radio as on the tube. Maybe something for producers to ponder if there is a next time. 

April 22, 2020 4:23 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

There certainly won't be any sim sub concerns next weekend when a similar all-Canuck effort airs on every major Canadian station, including, CTV, CBC, City TV and Global - this time in an effort to aid local food banks 

April 26 Canada Benefit To Support Foodbanks: Celine, Shania, Margaret Atwood Among Those Committed

Now extended by an extra 30 minutes and will air at 6:30 PM on Sunday for those who are interested in watching how the Canadian one compares to the U.S. effort.