sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 21, 2020 1:27 pm  #1

"Sonos Radio" Debuts Free On The Web Offering More Than 600 Stations

The speaker maker is taking on competitors, combining offerings from Tune-In and iHeartRadio with its own stations, which have the added bonus of being curated by famous names like Thom Yorke and David Byrne. All the offerings are free, but there's a big catch, as outlined by Digital Trends:

"If it sounds like Sonos Radio has a lot in common with radio-like features from Apple Music (think Beats 1) and Spotify (Discover Weekly), you’re right. However, there are two big differences at launch. First, Sonos Radio only works when you’re listening to a Sonos system. Just like the Sonos app can’t be used to access its hundreds of other music sources when you’re away from home, Sonos Radio is tethered to your Sonos wireless music speakers.

"Second, all Sonos Radio streams are limited to just 128 kbps. For those who don’t pay much attention to digital audio bitrates, this is a low-bandwidth stream that will not sound as good as streaming from sources like Apple Music, Spotify Premium, or Tidal, or even your private collection of songs."

So maybe not such a big deal, after all. 

Sonos Radio Launches in Canada: Free Curated Streaming Radio and More

April 21, 2020 8:14 pm  #2

Re: "Sonos Radio" Debuts Free On The Web Offering More Than 600 Stations

I have had a Sonos box for two years now. It came with Tunein installed. I have since added Iheartradio, mytuner radio and radio.com streaming services so I now have access to almost every radio station in North America. I have not yet experimented with other continents yet. The sound is set up through my 40 year old Acoustic Research speakers. Amazing quality. I also have Spotify Premium and it sounds just as good. Yes it would be nice to access my Sonos on my phone while at work. However, I have all the above mentioned streaming apps and Spotify Premium on my phone, so I'm good.