sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 11, 2020 10:55 am  #1

An interesting read on advertising and what mass media will pedal-us

Here is a great read about the future of mass advertising and what big business might be pedaling, the thing is after all that is happening now, the masses may not be "Buying in". 

Have a read and share your comments for sure, the longer isolation goes on the more time we have to think and be, the less enthralled we will become with resuming life as it was...and this article suggests that.

I for one tend to agree, we will need to create new ways of doing business, media, life, spirituality, politics, community, health that is more in alignment with "doing good" for all of us.

It is worth the read today and here below is the link...

https://medium.com/@juliovincent/prepare-for-the-ultimate-gaslighting-6a8ce3f0a0e0

I hope media doesn't rub us the wrong way or the "Medium will be the massage" as McLuhan once said...sort of.

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

April 11, 2020 2:36 pm  #2

Re: An interesting read on advertising and what mass media will pedal-us

It'd be a riot if the article was pulled and no traces could be found ... 
It raises good points. Some assertions I don't buy for a minute ... that people are good to each other etc...

A lot of questions remain unanswered regarding the aftermath of the Covid response. The article raises some. Some others I wonder about:
- How are we going to pay for the various support payments being made/promised?
- How are people going to relate to strangers in public places?
- Will the public at large demand proper funding and accountability for health care?
... etc ...

April 11, 2020 6:32 pm  #3

The article does raise some good questions but we have no idea right now how all of this will play out.  I saw a report yesterday that in South Korea over 60 people that had COVID and recovered and showing negative have reacquired the virius. If true, how did this happen? How accurate were the original tests? South Korea so far has a fairly low rate of cases and deaths for their population of 52 million. 

I was surprised to see however that our testing rate in Canada has been slightly higher than in South Korea but they have half the cases, lower death rate and are doing a better job than most countries in tracking who the infected came in contact with.

Frankly I have been surprised  how well Canada and Ontario have been doing so far during the epidemic. But I have the feeling it is still very early and things could turn around for the worse here and elsewhere  quickly. Just spoke to some friends in the UK and they indicated that cases and deaths are increasing quickly and they are getting very concerned.

We all can agree that everything, how companies and governments work, all relationships, business, media, healthcare, absolutely everything, is going to change and is changing.  How all of this will be paid for and the ramifications is anyone's guess.  Nobody really knows right now and may not for many months.

April 11, 2020 8:26 pm  #4

Some of you are in mass media. What are you going to do about it?

April 11, 2020 10:17 pm  #5

Chrisphen wrote:

Some of you are in mass media. What are you going to do about it?

I don't know what you do; maybe there's a way you, too, can do / contribute something... (I don't say that sarcastically; some things you've written have been spot on; so consider this a spark sent your way).

I freelance. The topic is new to me. My clients are not generally in the field (most are trade magazines). I've spent quite a bit of time going through all kinds of data and projections. A lot of the data and projections, as well as statements by various players, and actions undertaken thus far aren't adding up - IMO. At this point I have very mixed feelings - I see the virus as serious, and the consequences of the measures being taken - health-wise (in terms of general health, well beyond just Covid), socially, economically, etc - as serious. I do see a lot of dynamics at play - politics and power and profits included. But on the epidemiological side, and in terms of data analytics, I am not an expert - just trying to make some sense of things. I've made observations and commented informally in venues such as this one and other private and semi-private ones. At some point - I hope fairly soon - to be able to take the blocks of info I see, build something constructive, and find paying venues where I can publish. But there's mountains of rubbish out there and I don't want to add to that. And I write for a living - so I need to sustain my livelihood (which is brutal right now).

April 14, 2020 5:47 pm  #6

April 15, 2020 12:02 am  #7

If you read the full Lilley article, and Neil Macdonald’s tweets for that matter, you’ll see that Neil was joking. Pure Toronto Sun clickbait, hoping that the rubes just read the headline. The Bloomberg story is quite troubling.

April 15, 2020 11:00 am  #8

Just another anti CBC article from Sun/Post Media. They do one every 2-3 weeks and have for about the past 15 years. Like most CBC rants, it's either something they have already written about on many occasions, or like this article, a waste of everyone's time.

Misleading headline and article, and at the end we find out it was a big joke!  Neil was kidding!  Naturally many readers wouldn't take in the whole article, so mission accomplished.  Proof once again that the CBC is controlled by the Liberal dark state!!  And we will be back in a few weeks with yet another example for you, or show again what an endless money pit the CBC is...

Many like to rehash all the problems of the Toronto Star, but the paper that has been bleeding more than ink for a long time has been the Toronto Sun.  It's circulation is beyond terrible and it doesn't get near the traffic on it's website as the Star.  The Sunday Sun has been a skinny paper for the last six years.

The sad thing is, the Sun does have some great writers and they do have some good editorial comments that are needed and worthwhile. But if you read the paper on a regular basis, you would think that Toronto was the murder, drug, crime capital of North America, and a city out of control.   I don't know why they don't seem to realize that screaming, misleading, exaggerated headlines do not sell papers anymore. Especially when you often can't back up those stories and headlines with facts.

I like the Sun's sense of humour, campy fun, and excellent sports section but editorially they blow their credibility with exaggerated and over the top articles that aren't based on much, other than their dislike, fear and loathing for certain organizations, people and parties.