sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 31, 2020 10:57 pm  #1

I heard MacArthur Park by Donna Summer on Jazz FM tonight and....

On Soul Nation with Bill and Jesse King on Jazz FM,  just after 9 pm, they played the Donna Summer version of MacArthur Park...I remember when that song came on the DJ/Host took a "bio" break, the original version was over 7 minutes long...

What song would you play if you needed to hit the can after you'd hit the post? (rimshot)

My song would be "Round-about" by YES...

We need a little fun, so share your bio break song of choice...and bring your own toilet paper...(just in case)...lol

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

April 1, 2020 12:29 am  #2

Re: I heard MacArthur Park by Donna Summer on Jazz FM tonight and....

Isn't It A Pity - George Harrison

April 1, 2020 12:41 am  #3

Freedom by George Michael (LP/CD version though)
How about Richard Harris' version of the OP's mentioned song?

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

April 1, 2020 7:07 am  #4

If you had a touch of diarrhea, playing the LP versions of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and Rare Earth's rendition of Get Ready would give you a bit more than 38 minutes to take care of business.

April 1, 2020 7:37 am  #5

Good to know mace...thanks!  

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

April 1, 2020 8:14 am  #6

Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot, Fool's Overture by Supertramp and Do You Feel Like We Do by Peter Frampton (the Frampton Comes Alive! version) are good picks as well.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

April 1, 2020 8:15 am  #7

Ring of Fire after Wings at Morty's or a Harmony Slider

April 1, 2020 9:04 am  #8

Hey Jude was always my go-to. (You should pardon the expression.)

April 1, 2020 9:57 am  #9

Canadian Railroad Trilogy by Lightfoot was always a good one... a little over 7 minutes if I recall 

April 1, 2020 11:48 am  #10

In the late 70's my coffee break/off to the loo songs were-  We Will Rock You/We are the Champions by Queen, Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven, Down by the River (I Shot My Baby) by Joey Gregorash,  and Disco Inferno (long version) from the Trammps.  The AM station I was working at played 'em all.    

April 1, 2020 11:58 am  #11

Sugarloaf's Green Eyed Lady

Last edited by Peter the K (April 1, 2020 11:58 am)

April 1, 2020 12:00 pm  #12

Peter the K wrote:

See, on the radio I'm used to the radio edit (similarly to "Beginnings" by Chicago.)  These tracks are long on their LP versions, however they'd never occur to me as washroom break songs.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

April 1, 2020 1:23 pm  #13

A side of Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells"; Side 1 of Shawn Phillip's Second contribution starting with " She Was Waiting For Her Mother...) [aka "Woman"] ; the second side of Springsteen's "The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle"; Boz Scaggs' "Loan Me A Dime" ....all great in the day as long as the record didn't have locked groove.

April 1, 2020 1:36 pm  #14

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

April 1, 2020 2:20 pm  #15

This :23 second "song", called "Intermission," is from the tail end of side one of The Carpenters' "A Song For You" album. It wouldn't be long enough to play for the purpose indicated in this thread, but at least it's certainly honest!

April 1, 2020 3:28 pm  #16

CHUM played this LP cut for a while after the Canadian content regulations were brought in ... some album cuts are ideal for a bio break, but probably not this one. 

April 1, 2020 3:31 pm  #17

Jody Thornton wrote:

Peter the K wrote:

See, on the radio I'm used to the radio edit (similarly to "Beginnings" by Chicago.)  These tracks are long on their LP versions, however they'd never occur to me as washroom break songs.

The dilemma with some is that if you really like the song you don't want to miss it. Most of the tunes mentioned above fall into that category for me as do "Closer to Home" (LP version) by Grand Funk and "Kashmir" from Zeppelin. Then there's so-called medleys such as Jackson Browne "Loadout/Stay" or "Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" by Elton.

April 1, 2020 3:32 pm  #18

Jody Thornton wrote:

Peter the K wrote:

The dilemma with some is that if you really like the song you don't want to miss it. Most of the tunes mentioned above fall into that category for me as do "Closer to Home" (LP version) by Grand Funk and "Kashmir" from Zeppelin. Then there's so-called medleys such as Jackson Browne "Loadout/Stay" or "Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" by Elton.

April 1, 2020 4:21 pm  #19

Jody Thornton wrote:

Peter the K wrote:

Ok.  Aside from the album version, which clocks in at about 6:50, there were at least two versions on 45.  I don't own any copies but I just verified this on discogs. 

The radio edit clocks in at 3:33 but there is a longer edit on 45 that runs 5:58.  We kept the longer one in "the bin" for those special occasions.  The other nice thing is that you can fade it down almost any time you need to and it wouldn't sound too bad.

April 1, 2020 5:48 pm  #20

There's this nugget from the free form era and a lot of the prog rock cuts and album sides that fit together from the likes of the Moody Blues and ELP:

Last edited by Fitz (April 1, 2020 5:49 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

April 1, 2020 9:09 pm  #21

In a Gadda Da Vida - Iron Butterfly (the title was derived from In the Garden of Eden).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIVe-rZBcm4

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram