sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 30, 2020 3:26 pm  #1

'Our media is on the brink of mass failure'

Didn't Trudeau just give these guys a hand (full of cash)?

'This is a six-alarm fire. If Ottawa does not treat this as an emergency and act accordingly, Canadians will be left with few sources of reliable information about how to protect ourselves and our families from COVID-19.'   https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/2020/03/27/our-media-is-on-the-brink-of-mass-failure.html

March 30, 2020 3:39 pm  #2

Re: 'Our media is on the brink of mass failure'

Increase the funding of the CBC??  Then I see this piece was written by a member of the "Friends Of Canadian Broadcasting" Hmmm. Now it makes sense.

March 30, 2020 3:43 pm  #3

Johnny B wrote:

Didn't Trudeau just give these guys a hand (full of cash)?

Last September:  https://election.ctvnews.ca/canada-s-600-million-media-bailout-a-guide-to-federal-tax-breaks-for-the-news-industry-1.4586082

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 30, 2020 5:15 pm  #4

I'm told there's some sort of hold up with that $600 million fund, possibly at the Revenue Canada end.

March 30, 2020 5:15 pm  #5

This is one group I don't  have a lot of time for.  Friends of Canadian Broadcasting should really rename themselves Friends of the CBC.  They seem to talk very little about Canadian broadcasting but a whole lot about the public broadcaster. This is the group that really wants CBC TV and radio to be totally elitist, have no mainstream programming and focus on "the arts."  They want our crown corporation to be more like BBC, but they seem to ignore that BBC TV and radio does a lot of mainstream and popular programming. Ever listen to BBC Radio One or Two, or see some of BBC reality shows?

Oh yes and let's double CBC funding.   What world do these "friends" live in?  Whenever I see one of their spokespeople on air or in article I cringe since it is obvious that few of them have any broadcast or business experience and continually whine about CBC being underfunded. And they almost never say anything about private Canadian broadcasting.  Also the CBC has never said that the recent temporary scaling back of local newscasts had anything to do with funding.  Local news has been coming back and CBC said it was a technical issue with loss of  staff at master control in Toronto due to COVID-19 isolation.  

Yes many newspapers and traditional media are in big trouble financially right now, but articles like this that are full of  agenda opportunism and needless hand wringing to  scare the public is not serving anyone.

March 30, 2020 6:22 pm  #6

paterson1 wrote:

They want our crown corporation to be more like BBC, but they seem to ignore that BBC TV and radio does a lot of mainstream and popular programming. Ever listen to BBC Radio One or Two, or see some of BBC reality shows?

BBC has backing with the iTV network though. I suppose one could say this is on par with how CBC and Rogers worked together to keep Murdoch mysteries alive?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 30, 2020 10:12 pm  #7

paterson1 wrote:

This is one group I don't  have a lot of time for. 

Squarely hit the nail on the head!

March 30, 2020 10:32 pm  #8

BBC has backing with the iTV network?  Not sure what you are referring to.  Rogers had cancelled Murdoch mostly because of cost and the fact that the show was a CHUM/City initiative. They felt the show didn't really fit City's "format," even though they have turned City into just another station with no format per se,  CBC picked up the show after it was cancelled by Rogers.   Rogers Cable Fund may  still participate which isn't really rare since they help to fund shows on various networks, like Carter on CTV.

Friends of Canadian Broadcasting seem to fixate mostly on CBC and want the network to be commercial free, double the funding and focus more on arts. They often site BBC as an example of what CBC should be, but only are interested in the "quality" programming of BBC and never talk about shows like Snog, Marry or Avoid? The Voice, Special Forces:Ultimate Hell Week, The Apprentice, Tops of the Pops and many other mainstream shows which are also on BBC.  Like all networks BBC will co produce these shows with private production companies but they also have their own production unit which produces feature films and programming which is geared for commercial sales.