sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 23, 2020 8:11 pm  #1

Is cable and internet essential??

It will be interesting to see which businesses are designated "essential" tomorrow. Rumor has it that the liquors stores will stay open. 

March 23, 2020 8:24 pm  #2

Re: Is cable and internet essential??

Quebec released their list of essential services today.  Telecom and cable providers are on there.  So is print journalism, and local/national broadcast media outlets.

I expect the same from Ontario, and if the feds go all out with their emergency measures, broadcast is federally regulated so it will be there for sure.

wet-wipe your mic's people!

March 23, 2020 8:32 pm  #3

Deco Labels? Level P1 Essential. Pelee Island Winery? Oh yeah Essential.

March 23, 2020 9:23 pm  #4

Picked up a bottle of vino today at the liquor store and the check out guy told me that they definitely would be staying open, this was followed by some polite applause and laughter from a few people in line that heard us. 

Looks like the Ontario and Quebec governments have worked together on this since they both are enacting the essential services provision at the same time, which makes sense. The lists from  Ontario and Quebec will likely pretty much mirror each other. It is not surprising that the  LCBO and likely The Beer Store will remain open at reduced hours.  We did learn 9 decades ago that closing out access to alcohol is not a good idea, and only creates other problems. 

March 23, 2020 10:12 pm  #5

paterson1 wrote:

We did learn 9 decades ago that closing out access to alcohol is not a good idea, and only creates other problems. 

In this case, a loss of $2 Billion a year in provincial revenues.

March 23, 2020 10:20 pm  #6

paterson1 wrote:

We did learn 9 decades ago that closing out access to alcohol is not a good idea, and only creates other problems.  

Phew! Good ta no I can git likkered up an cause a ruckus!