sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 20, 2020 11:29 am  #61

Re: Coronavirus Affecting TV Shows & Pro Sports

RadioActive wrote:

One of the big objections to "online courses" is that not all students have the ability to see the programs over the web. Perhaps...TVO could be used to send televised lessons to certain grades. Most everyone has a TV and the ability to receive the channel. 

That could take some of the heat off until schools are back in business. Either way, it's an interesting idea and if this goes on for a lot longer, maybe worth considering.

And besides, it would be worth it just to hear a mother say, "Hey Bobby, stop doing your homework and come over here and watch TV!"

Looks like that's exactly what they plan to do. Great minds think alike and small minds run in the same gutter, as Alfred E. Newman once so sagely noted. 

Ford government to lean on TVO amid school closures

March 20, 2020 6:10 pm  #62

RadioActive wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

One of the big objections to "online courses" is that not all students have the ability to see the programs over the web. Perhaps...TVO could be used to send televised lessons to certain grades. Most everyone has a TV and the ability to receive the channel. 

That could take some of the heat off until schools are back in business. Either way, it's an interesting idea and if this goes on for a lot longer, maybe worth considering.

And besides, it would be worth it just to hear a mother say, "Hey Bobby, stop doing your homework and come over here and watch TV!"

Looks like that's exactly what they plan to do. Great minds think alike and small minds run in the same gutter, as Alfred E. Newman once so sagely noted. 

Ford government to lean on TVO amid school closures

I hope it works out,  because sadly I doubt that the schools (or anything else for that matter) will be returning to normal times after the 2 week period.

March 21, 2020 8:41 pm  #63

Speaking of things that are being affected, the Saturday edition of the Toronto Star arrived on my doorstep this weekend and it looked like it was a member of Weight Watchers it was so thin.

There was no separate sports section (just a page or two in the front section) and Travel was now a small part of the already shrinking Entertainment section. Obviously if there's no sports and you can't travel there's not much to write about and advertisers wouldn't get anything for their money. 

I wonder if this is permanent or just part of the new normal for the rapidly shrinking newspaper industry. 

March 21, 2020 9:37 pm  #64

This is much more than just the rapidly shrinking newspaper industry. All traditional media, which have not been performing very well anyway, will not be the same on the other side when this health crisis is over.  This is ;not all bad however, since the pandemic is also showing the weakness of new media which is full of both good and misleading and incorrect information.  People don't necessarily have the time or the patience to sift through the BS and what is real.  With very few exceptions in my opinion,  it is better to stick with traditional media right now including skinny daily newspapers. 

March 21, 2020 9:51 pm  #65

paterson1 wrote:

This is much more than just the rapidly shrinking newspaper industry. All traditional media, which have not been performing very well anyway, will not be the same on the other side when this health crisis is over.  This is ;not all bad however, since the pandemic is also showing the weakness of new media which is full of both good and misleading and incorrect information.  People don't necessarily have the time or the patience to sift through the BS and what is real.  With very few exceptions in my opinion,  it is better to stick with traditional media right now including skinny daily newspapers. 

With online it's a matter of knowing where to go - really difficult for anyone without a developed sense of how to look for multiple sides to a situation, how to spot bias, how to spot promotion and self-interest, how to spot bad science, etc. There are good j-orgs out there working to train journalists: Investigative Reporters and Editors, Society of Environment Journalists, Science Writers and Communicators of Canada, Canadian Association of Journalists, and more... They're all online and some have loads of good info on their web sites. I belong to IRE and SEJ - the really minute membership fees are a helluva deal and their resources and such have helped me immeasurably over the years...

March 25, 2020 4:44 pm  #66

Talk about art imitating life. NBC has decided not to show the next new episode of "New Amsterdam," despite the fact the season has already been cut short by production interruptions caused by the coronavirus. The reason? The scheduled plot was about a flu pandemic that forces the fictional hospital to set up tents in the parking lot, as a flood of patients overwhelms the health care institution. 

As it turns out, that's exactly what's happening in many New York City hospitals this week, as COVID-19 leaves doctors and medical experts desperately trying to cope with a flood of ill people, as The Big Apple becomes the epicentre of the epidemic. So out of an abundance of sensitivity, the show has been pulled. 

Considering how long ago this thing was filmed, the timing is simply incredible. There's no word if it will ever be shown. 

This isn't the first time NBC has decided to pull an episode of a popular series because the subject hit home. "Law & Order: SVU" had a show ready to air in 2016, right after the U.S. election. It was about an American presidential candidate accused of making unwanted sexual advances on several women and was considered too close to Trump for comfort. 

To my knowledge, the episode, called "Unstoppable," has still never aired.

New Amsterdam Pulls Flu Pandemic Episode, Further Shortening Season: 'The World Needs Less Fiction Right Now, And More Facts'

March 25, 2020 5:42 pm  #67

Interesting to note that in a time when the entire Hollywood production machine has shut down, there is one segment that's still going - mainly because those involved can do it all remotely.

It's the animated shows like "The Simpsons," "Family Guy" and more that will fulfill all their episode commitments this season, despite COVID-19. 

Who knew not being live action could help keep your show on the air?

Animated Series Adapt to Keep Production Going Amid Industry-Wide Shutdown

March 26, 2020 11:15 am  #68

The coronavirus scare has led to the shortening of a GTA morning show. Raw Mike Richards, who does AM drive on Sauga 960, used to start his shift at 6 AM, but now signs on every morning an hour later instead. There was no real reason given for the change, beyond the virus, although it's my understanding the program is produced off site, so I'm not sure how that would affect it. No word on what fills the 6-7 hour. 

The site also displays a warning to listeners the first time you visit, which seems to indicate that all of its shows are now being done remotely.

-------

To Our Loyal Audience, 

In consideration of the safety of all of our staff and guests, Sauga 960AM have made the decision to close the doors of our station until March 30, 2020. During this time, we will be continuing to broadcast our very informative and entertaining schedule  that you have come to enjoy and count on with very few changes. We will continue to monitor this ever changing situation closely and provide an ongoing updates to our schedule at www.sauga960am.ca

We want to thank you, our loyal listeners and appreciate your continued support. If you have any questions regarding the station or our schedule during this period, please contact us at info@sauga960am.ca

Let’s all be responsible and cooperate with social distancing and hopefully stand up against this awful virus. Stay safe everyone!

Regards,

Sauga960AM Management 

March 30, 2020 7:06 pm  #69

I listen to US right wing talk and religious radio with trepidation and by chance only. About 2.0 wks ago I heard a host that was still droning on about the virus issue being a hoax designed to tank the economy for political reasons. Said host said we did not lock down the country during the swine flu epidemic of 2009/2010 which resulted in 15,000 deaths. The host did not say that those deaths occurred over a period of one year and he was obviously short sighted as he did not anticipate what is happening now two weeks later. 

The audio and video is all there for  such comments and it will be interesting as to what type of revisionism such people engage in now. Not that I will willingly get close to any of their twaddle.

Last edited by Fitz (March 30, 2020 7:07 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

April 2, 2020 11:49 am  #70

How unusual is the coronavirus situation? So bizarre that an iconoclast like Larry David of Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm fame, was actually talked into doing at "stay at home" PSA. If you're as fan of his, it's pretty, pretty good and exactly what you'd expect from the curmudgeonly comedian.

You can see it here.

April 2, 2020 7:02 pm  #71

Here's an unexpected consequence of the sports layoffs I'd never thought of. 

March Madness Cancellation Causes Overload of Chicken Wings