sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 13, 2020 9:05 pm  #1

Sports radio isn't the only media outlet that will take a hit

I listen a lot to Jazz FM, they make a lot of money off of concert, plays, clubs advertising. Plus, the Jazz Safari's which raise funds during the fund drive, won't happen now...I am sure they're a bit worried right now as far as future revenues go.

Also, other media outlets, like Now Magazine which has a ton 'o clubs advertising in it, will be backing off...

You've mentioned sports radio, but even mainstream news channels will lose revenue as the non-stop Covid-19 coverage does nothing to spur on viewership after it is rammed down your throat to the point of being sick and feeling helpless about it. If I was advertising I'd pull the plug.

It is an very interesting time...with job losses soon to mount as a number of businesses will be affected...the potential for big economic fall out is huge. 

I pray that cures might be found, that things happen in favour of all of man-kind and we learn one big lesson to be good to one another....and the planet.

Ya, cue John Lennon I guess, but I am a dreamer! 

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

March 13, 2020 9:44 pm  #2

Re: Sports radio isn't the only media outlet that will take a hit

My Vancouver jazz buddy Jeremy Price is scheduled to play a flute duet with Bill McBirnie at the Rex in May  ... drummer Terry Clarke ... etc ... really hope this kind of live stuff and the infrastructure that makes it happen  doesn't key kayoed...No AGO, no ROM, concerts cancelled ... the next few weeks in TO and elsewhere is gonna be slow as heck...

March 13, 2020 9:57 pm  #3

I'm a volunteer programmer for a campus community radio station. The station is now forced to close, keeping only a continual loop of musical programming for the next number of weeks (up to Apr 30). Totally sucks...

March 13, 2020 10:19 pm  #4

CIUT?

March 14, 2020 8:05 pm  #5

CFMU 93.3

March 14, 2020 9:58 pm  #6

Oddly enough, a radio format that might be doing fairly well right now considering the COVID-19 effects is one that doesn't exist in this market at the moment - all business. 

March 14, 2020 11:18 pm  #7

DOPEfm wrote:

CFMU 93.3

Nice station. Can hear it sometimes in Toronto in the car. Have heard it at my DX post in northern Kawartha Lakes...
I used to program at CIUT (late 90s).

Why would they stop programming? Just keep the equipment clean... seems nuts ...

March 15, 2020 10:50 am  #8

Saul wrote:

DOPEfm wrote:

CFMU 93.3

Why would they stop programming? Just keep the equipment clean... seems nuts ...

Some community radio stations have studios that work in a very tight space. 
I used to be involved with a community radio station that required a maximum of 5 people in the studio at any one given time for fire regulations. (if you could see that space, I believe it really should have been no more than 4 or 3)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 15, 2020 11:21 am  #9

Radiowiz wrote:

Saul wrote:

DOPEfm wrote:

CFMU 93.3

Some community radio stations have studios that work in a very tight space. I used to be involved with a community radio station that required a maximum of 5 people in the studio at any one given time for fire regulations. (if you could see that space, I believe it really should have been no more than 4 or 3)  

At CIUT's old premises - since moved - the studio could handle two-three people at some distance, and there was a separate soundproofed interview room with a glass partition to the main studio that could be used for one person. In fact there were multiple rooms, some for prerecording shows. I have no idea if CFMU's physical space is much tighter. But, in general, I can imagine many workplaces have some similarities. Is conventional commercial radio safe? What about tables for four at a restaurant? Or talking to someone anywhere... To me it's about hygiene and taking sensible preventative precautions. At least at this stage. I think the main strategy is to avoid any future spike and to flatten the curve to get things under control.

March 15, 2020 8:34 pm  #10

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

coverage does nothing to spur on viewership after it is rammed down your throat to the point of being sick and feeling helpless about it. If I was advertising I'd pull the plug. 

You think news channels will lose ratings during the biggest, fastest changing news story in years?  That's a viewpoint I wasn't expecting.  

I predict ratings will be through the roof!

March 16, 2020 1:32 am  #11

Any business that may have paid for ads should update their advertising to let people know what their business is doing.
Mandarin is one example. Their buffet and dine in area is now closed until further notice.
However, they are very much open for take out and delivery service. If they paid for spots, maybe new ads informing the public of this change would be a very good idea.

Hopefully no one is pulling their ads all together. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 16, 2020 7:34 am  #12

Funny you would say that. I rarely stay tuned to spots on radio these days, but I was listening to John Moore on Monday and began to wonder if the ad traffic department was in self-isolation.

Among the commercials was one advertising a special offer that's only on until March 26th. The product? Tickets to "Come From Away," which, of course, has been shut down until well past that date. Then there was an announcement from a retirement home to come for a tour and a free lunch, even as all those places have been ordered to close all of their doors to visitors until further notice.

While there's nothing wrong with these ads in normal times, given what's been going on, stations and clients might want to consider vetting them to see if what they're selling to the public is still actually available right now. What a strange time for all aspects of the media, including advertisers.