sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 1, 2020 10:29 am  #31

Re: Having Trouble With WNED & WKBW OTA In The GTA? This May Be Why

Might just be a test, but WKBW was coming in like a local on Sunday morning, with a signal strength of 72 and a signal quality of 100 - the best you can get. I haven't seen them that strong in my neck of the woods (northern North York) ever. I'm hoping after recsan day it stays that way. 

March 1, 2020 10:53 am  #32

Can’t find it online, but in the Saturday Business section of the Toronto Star, there was an opinion piece called “Canadians changing channel on TV watching,” about the return of outdoor antennas in Canada.

It noted the increasingly expensive bills associated with cable packages and that streaming has become a more affordable alternative for many. I can’t say there was a lot in it that was new, except for one thing.

While you might think that those who grew up with antennas (antennae?) to get their TV would be the biggest adopters, the author cites new studies that show that’s not exactly true.

According to the piece, a Deloitte survey from January indicates that 13% of those using the old fashioned method are over age 55, but that the number rises to 17% when you examine the 18-34 year-old age group. In addition, it stresses that 15% of Canadians now use an antenna to get some of their TV – double the number recorded back in 2015.

I’ve had my own tower attached to my house for years. It was one of the very first things I did when I moved in here in 1991. I remember that a small firm put it up for me and that at the time, they were just getting started.

A few years later, I was experiencing some small problems with it during the HDTV transition, so I tried to call them back. They told me they were so busy, they were having trouble getting to all the calls they were receiving. I got the same story from a few others who still did that kind of work.

As long as over-the-air signals exist – and as Buffalo expands its subcarrier list of stations unavailable anywhere else - I’m betting those calls will continue to come in. Just like, hopefully, the clear TV signals they bring.  

March 2, 2020 8:36 am  #33

WKBW - Delayed.   For those of you who think WKBW reception improved in recent days, sorry to inform you that's not the case.  They are still operating on a temporary antenna at reduced power.  But on Friday 13th, they will still be on the temporary antenna, at reduced power - albeit significantly increased from the current operation.  They filed a STA request with the FCC in late Feb seeking to operate at reduced power on Ch. 34 from the side-mounted antenna.  The good news is that even at the reduced height we will see a massive power increase up to 560 KW - directional, from the current 372KW.    By late spring they will be operating at 1417' and 660 kw.  Here is the explanation from their Feb 2020 application:
"WKBW-TV had been on track to begin operating on Ch. 34 with its new main antenna by thePhase 8 deadline; however, the tower crew that WKBW-TV has hired to install its new transmissionline recently informed WKBW-TV that they will not be able to make it to Buffalo until sometime inApril (at the earliest) to complete the scheduled installation due to delays on other projects thatmust be completed ahead of WKBW-TV. WKBW-TV has installed a broadband antenna on the tower which can operate on Ch. 34 andWKBW-TV intends to transition to that antenna on the March 13, 2020 deadline, if necessary.Therefore, Scripps respectfully requests Special Temporary Authority to operate WKBW-TV onCh. 34 with the following parameters:Coordinates: 42° 38’ 15.0” N (NAD83)78° 37’ 11.0” WERP: 560.0 kW (DA)RCAMSL: 761.4mAntenna: Dielectric TFU-16WB-R C160"

Last edited by tvguy (March 2, 2020 8:37 am)

March 2, 2020 9:06 am  #34

RadioActive wrote:

Can’t find it online, but in the Saturday Business section of the Toronto Star, there was an opinion piece called “Canadians changing channel on TV watching,” about the return of outdoor antennas in Canada.

It noted the increasingly expensive bills associated with cable packages and that streaming has become a more affordable alternative for many. I can’t say there was a lot in it that was new, except for one thing.

While you might think that those who grew up with antennas (antennae?) to get their TV would be the biggest adopters, the author cites new studies that show that’s not exactly true.

According to the piece, a Deloitte survey from January indicates that 13% of those using the old fashioned method are over age 55, but that the number rises to 17% when you examine the 18-34 year-old age group. In addition, it stresses that 15% of Canadians now use an antenna to get some of their TV – double the number recorded back in 2015.

I’ve had my own tower attached to my house for years. It was one of the very first things I did when I moved in here in 1991. I remember that a small firm put it up for me and that at the time, they were just getting started.

A few years later, I was experiencing some small problems with it during the HDTV transition, so I tried to call them back. They told me they were so busy, they were having trouble getting to all the calls they were receiving. I got the same story from a few others who still did that kind of work.

As long as over-the-air signals exist – and as Buffalo expands its subcarrier list of stations unavailable anywhere else - I’m betting those calls will continue to come in. Just like, hopefully, the clear TV signals they bring.  

I am not shilling for this fellow but Christopher MacDonald - "Dr. Antenna" is highly recommended for antenna installations:  416-835-1764.  I have used is services several times.   He's also highly rated on Homestars.
https://homestars.com/companies/2791873-dr-antenna

March 2, 2020 9:09 am  #35

Well that's disappointing, but it remains to be seen how much the power boost will help. At least we know that eventually things will get back to normal - whatever that new normal brings.

Thanks as always for the excellent and timely info. At least those of us looking for better reception on March 13th will be aware of why it may or may not be there. 

March 2, 2020 12:04 pm  #36

RadioActive wrote:

The story referred to here has finally shown up on the Star site. 

Who wants to pay for TV when you can get it for free?

March 2, 2020 9:33 pm  #37

For those of you who have received WBXZ 56 Buffalo (RF 17) here is an update from their recent posting of their pending channel change to RF 23.
=14px"Sometime later this spring, WBXZ will be changing frequencies. We will be installing a new transmitter and antenna. This change over will require you to rescan you TV's or convertor boxes. This frequency change occurred because the government sold off a large portion of the TV spectrum to the wireless industry. Full powers were assigned a new frequency, we were forced to find a new frequency on our own. The only one available that was best for providing a quality signal wa=14pxs RF 23. Your TV will still display 56. Unfortunately, Canada decided that the did not want our signal crossing the border to the north because of a small amount of interference that would occur to a station out of Paris, ON. even though the interference would occur in the Toronto DMA, This meant we had to redirect our signal. Most, if not all our Canadian viewers to the north will lose our signal. In addition, those in Northern Niagara County may also lose our signal. However, to try and combat signal loss, we will be broadcasting an elliptical signal. We presently broadcast with a signal that leaves the transmitter in a horizontal direction, when the change over occurs the signal will be additionally sent out in a vertical direction. This will better saturate the area with a stronger signal. It will not travel farther, but those in our viewing are should receive a better quality signal. 90% of our present viewers should not lose us, we will also gain viewers that could not previously see us. So if you watch us on rabbit ears, your signal will improve and those with an outdoor antenna will also see a better signal. We will still share our signal with a Canadian station in Paris Ontario, as we did with our present frequency but those in our area should not see the interference blackouts that usually occurred in the spring and Fall. That is what bothers us the most, we were fine with sharing RF 17, but Canada didn't want to accept the interference, however slight, we were already causing. As a low-power station we are at a full power's mercy. We will keep you updated as the change over approaches. To our Canadian viewers, we are certainly not mad at you, just not happy with your government's decision."

March 3, 2020 7:39 am  #38

Gee I wonder which OTA viewers would prefer. A Global schedule almost full of simsubbed U.S. network shows or WBBZ/ METV with shows not available anywhere in the GTA. I am assuming, that being such a tiny station financially and signalwise, they could not afford a streaming option. That would please OTA, cable and sattelite viewers immensely.

March 3, 2020 9:43 am  #39

Just a slight correction to your post. WBXZ is Channel 56, a low power station out of Buffalo. You’re thinking of WBBZ, another LP broadcaster that has a host of subcarriers on Channel 67.

Unfortunately under the rules, low power outlets are forced to give up their positions when a high power (sounds almost religious doesn’t it?) licencee demands it.

But you’re not wrong on your initial point. WBXZ has more subcarriers than any station I’ve ever seen – 12 at last count. And some of them, like CoziTV or RetroTV, feature great old shows that would be desirable to a lot of viewers. Buzzr specializes in old game shows, including Match Game. And ThisTV has a lot of movies you won't see anywhere else. Here’s the list from their website:

56.1-COZI TV      
56.2-RETRO TV     
56.3-JEWELRY TV     
56.4-THROWBACK TV      
56.5-BUZZR               
56.6-SON LIFE TV       
56.7-CORNER STORE     
56.8-QVC      
56.9-DRIVE-IN TV     
56.10-REVN     
56.11-NEWSNET     
56.12-THIS TV

Most of these are pretty desirable specialty stations and I don’t doubt that Canadians who can get them won’t be happy to see them disappear. I’ve never gotten a sniff out of this station in North York even when weather conditions were bringing in all kinds of stuff. And it would appear that now, I never well.

This is their old coverage pattern from their website. It's going to change when they move. 

March 3, 2020 12:19 pm  #40

Would LOVE to received WBXZ over anything Global.  Its unfortunate.  

March 3, 2020 9:11 pm  #41

I have to learn to search the FCC site better. Are WNLO/WIVB still at their temporary height/power?

March 4, 2020 9:14 am  #42

RA: You are correct. I got my channels mixed up. My parents, in Oakville would receive ch 56 under tropo conditions. ch 67, not a chance in hell. But to my other point, do you think either station could financially afford a steaming option for even one or two of their sub channels?

March 4, 2020 10:16 am  #43

The subchannels are their own entities and do their own streaming if they want to. MeTV shows can be streamed on demand on their site. Comet does their own streaming etc. It's not an issue for their affiliates.

March 4, 2020 7:21 pm  #44

I searched around this afternoon trying to find streaming sites for METV, COZI TV and GRIT. Even used a VPN.I was not successful.

March 4, 2020 8:11 pm  #45

Grit does not currently offer streaming. Here's an article about streaming Cozi: https://thestreamable.com/channels/cozi-tv

You mentioned whether the two small Buffalo channels had the financial ability to offer streaming of their subs. My point was that they don't have the rights to do that as the subs have the rights and if they decide to stream it would be through them directly and not through the Buffalo affiliates.

Had a conversation with a Buffalo station GM a couple of years ago. Most of the subchannels are "renters", asking a local channel to carry them in exchange for a cut of a portion of the ads or the ability to sell so many minutes of local ads.

March 8, 2020 11:41 am  #46

more tower crew woes:   WNYO Ch. 49 (new channel 16) is still moving to Grand Island, on Friday 13th, but will be further delayed in implementing its power increase.   They filed an STA last week to operate temporarily at 101.7 KW (versus 575 kw) ad a lower tower elevation (versus 1079 feet approved).942' 101.7 kW DA (E) (Vertical ERP: 46.75 kW)47.8 mile contour / 7176.8 sq. mi. area / Est. Pop. 1,311,448 940' AGL; 1529' AMSL; (1019110)1.05° Elec Beam Tilt; Full Service Filter
[H-Pat] Dielectric TFU-8WB/VP-R C160NAD83: N 43° 1' 32.2", W 78° 55' 42.1" (43.025611, -78.928361) Grand Island (NY)

March 12, 2020 10:24 am  #47

By this time on Friday, the last of the big Buffalo stations will have moved to their new positions. Those who get their signals off an antenna will need to rescan to get them – although as tvguy has so admirably reminded us in this thread, while the move is on, the promised power boosts on some of them are being delayed. Which may well play a role in whether you can get them better or not. 

In any event, just a reminder for those who want to try: 

WKBW  Current Channel: 38 New Channel: 34

WNED:   Current Channel: 43  New Channel: 31

WNYO:  Current Channel: 49 New Channel: 16

The final round of changes, involving Toronto stations, won't happen until July, at which point we'll finally be finished with this insane mass shuffling once and for all. 

In the meantime, I would welcome your reception reports here, depending on where you are, and letting us know if things are better, worse or no different. Good luck!

March 12, 2020 10:52 am  #48

WKBW is doing a good job of informing viewers.  2 segments on AM Buffalo today plus a "text" crawl from time to time.

March 13, 2020 8:56 am  #49

Welcome back KB! I rescanned this morning and Channel 7 is back for me for the first time in over a month. The signal isn't perfect - there's still some picture pixelation at times - but I attribute that more to the weather and the lack of full power than a major problem with the signal. Once they're up to full power, I'm guessing things will really improve. 

But I went from a black screen to fairly decent reception and that's a good thing. 

Channel 17 is also much better and they seem to be back to normal. 

As for Channel 49, they're still on the old frequency. For some reason, they didn't transition to Channel 16 as scheduled. Not sure the reason for the delay.

March 13, 2020 10:19 am  #50

Legally, they have till 11:59 pm to vacate.  But often with multi-market repacks, there may a requirement for another station, in another market to vacate the rescan channel (16) before the Buffalo station can switch.
That could be the issue.  

March 13, 2020 3:16 pm  #51

According to their website, it appears WNYO is not switching to channel 16 until March 16, 2020.

March 14, 2020 3:57 pm  #52

WNYO seen on Ch. 16 with programming at 3:45 pm Saturday.  Signal was equal to WNED in midtown.
But WNYO is only at 107 kw, from a reduced height, under temporary authority from FCC.  Expect it to be 2nd in overall strength when work is complete, probably close to WUTV’s signal strength in Toronto.

March 14, 2020 9:00 pm  #53

I saw an announcement on WNYO that viewers on antenna needed to rescan "after 10 AM on March 16th," so I'm assuming that's the time they've arranged for the official switch off of Channel 49.

March 15, 2020 12:25 am  #54

tvguy wrote:

WNYO seen on Ch. 16 with programming at 3:45 pm Saturday.  Signal was equal to WNED in midtown.
But WNYO is only at 107 kw, from a reduced height, under temporary authority from FCC.  Expect it to be 2nd in overall strength when work is complete, probably close to WUTV’s signal strength in Toronto.

You are correct. I tried it Saturday night and for some reason, there's dual illumination. I guess that ends Monday at 10 AM. First time I can recall them both being on at the same time in a repack move. I'm actually getting Channel 16 just a little stronger than the old 49, which is surprising given the power differences. Anyway, glad to see reception has improved here in northern North York for all three stations.

March 15, 2020 12:29 pm  #55

I tried my indoor antenna again yesterday after a few months. I had lost the  Antenna network and that was really the only channel I wanted. The good news is that WGRZ and Antenna are back as I have tried over the last two days. Including the sub channels I am getting 28 stations. No WKBW or WIVB ( and I think the latter was mostly there before) but I am getting FOX and WNED.  CFTO is the strongest signal here in Pickering but it is the only one on the VHF band. The ION stations are strong as well.

I saw an ad on MYTV ( I think) for the Smother's Brother's rerun with the Jefferson Airplane. I could not get away from COVID 19 as Antenna had an ad (for I believe a jewelry store) where they were talking about "social distancing" and  providing hand sanitizers. I think that was the first commercial I saw where the virus was injected so to speak,

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

March 16, 2020 9:04 am  #56

Scott Fybush is reporting today in his Monday NERW newsletter that many tower crews have been pulled from the field, because of Covid19.  They don't want to risk travelling, staying in hotels, etc.
That could delay tower construction and power increases for months.  So it could be a long time before WIVB, WNLO, and WKBW are up to "full strength".   There are also a lot of significant channel changes from UHF to VHF in some markets during Phase 9, so it is not known how those will be impacted, because they require construction as well.

March 16, 2020 10:08 am  #57

Which could delay the Toronto moves as well due in July. Fortunately (for me, at least) WNED & WKBW are vastly improved even though not at full strength. And WNYO is as good on 16 as it was on 49. I hope everyone else found the same result. It's probably the best I've seen Channel 7 since they went digital all those years ago, so I'm happy.

March 22, 2020 1:08 pm  #58

What in the world is going on with WNYO? They were dual illuminated on channel 16 and scheduled to go off channel 49 for good last week. The signal off the new frequency was excellent in the GTA.

But on Saturday morning, I was tuning around and surprised to find nothing was coming in and there was no signal at all. When I checked it later that night, it was back and quite strong. 

And now on Sunday afternoon, the 16 signal is gone again - but when I rescanned on Channel 49 it was back and stronger than ever. 

The repack has been very strange, but this has to be the strangest sequence of events yet.