sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 10, 2020 7:10 pm  #1

Have You Discovered Podcasts Yet?

I have been lurking on the Big Yellow Board since the Craig and Ziggy days.  Always was a fan of AM radio from Buffalo and Toronto.  I remember "JR on GR" and The Fan 1430.  So that is where I am coming from, but now I have discovered the world of podcasts, and they are great! Just finished listening to Toronto Mike'd Podcast for the first time. I listened to the Mike Stafford, and Jim Richards episodes.  It totally eliminates the requirement of changing stations the moment traffic or commercials come on. "Cord Cutting" is for cable, what is the phrase for dumping terrestrial radio?   Not sure I will ever put AM radio on again in the vehicle.  Are podcasts considered competition to Toronto radio?

never worked ever, in radio

March 11, 2020 9:49 am  #2

Re: Have You Discovered Podcasts Yet?

Leafs67 makes some good points. I like podcasts and listen to some when I have time. My only beef would be for the amateurs who should edit or clean up their casts.  Some go on much too long, who has two hours to listen to someone or a host ramble on about nothing? And the sounds of setting up the mike and getting the guest settled in. Take it out!  And get rid of the nervous chit chat about nothing, prior to the real interview!!  That is only interesting maybe once, not every podcast..

Radio station podcasts I like, because it gives you a chance to listen to a show you missed, or to hear a guest or topic you are interested in. Just wish it was easier to skip ahead or backward on podcasts. The control is usually too touchy. 

Threat to AM radio? Not for me, I still like live AM radio with weather, news, traffic. And AM  is still the best when something major has happened and the news and talk shows kick in to cover the story. Having said that, on long holiday weekends if the station replays some programs that is fine with me. Normally I haven't heard them anyway, and as long as the station still has live news, traffic and weather that is ok by me.   

March 11, 2020 9:58 am  #3

leafs67 wrote:

Are podcasts considered competition to Toronto radio? 

Are the Leafs considered competition to the Raptors?

March 11, 2020 10:19 am  #4

Ms. C. wrote:

leafs67 wrote:

Are podcasts considered competition to Toronto radio? 

Are the Leafs considered competition to the Raptors?

I would say are the Raptors competition for the Leafs. On the rare occasion when both teams are playing at the same time, any watering hole I have frequented, has had the sound on for the Leaf game. When the Raptors start to have losing seasons again, perhaps not in the immediate future, fans will start jumping off the bandwagon. Can you imagine Raptors fans putting up with 40 years of lousy basketball as Leaf fans have put up with 40 years [or so it seems] of lousy hockey? I doubt it.

March 11, 2020 11:32 am  #5

Leafs or Raptors competition? I like them both.  Shouldn't really be an either or thing, not for me at least.

And they are owned by the same company, so the owners probably won't think of them competitors. 
Since the Raptors have been playing so well, this should be putting the Leafs under some much needed pressure to perform better. Little brother has been outshining big brother for years now and giving the fans and city something to cheer about.

I wish Toronto fans were harder on the Leafs when they stink.  BOO THEM when they deserve it.  Leaf fans are the most loyal and are paying top dollar to see them play.  The Leafs are one of the richest teams in the league and should be in the first round every year. When they are not performing as they should, fans need to let them know loud and clear. Stop putting up with mediocre hockey! If the fans put more heat on the the Leafs they will improve. And please...enough of the endless passing ...shoot the bloody puck at the net!!   You might score..

March 11, 2020 11:44 am  #6

i'm a big yellow board old timer and i've been listening to podcasts for over a decade. i also host one (and make a few bucks from doing so). i've been quoted on a few podcasts, including gilbert gottfried's (proof that it's easy to make him laugh).... not to mention hosting a few streamed weekly music shows. the internet can offer a lot of potential (without the restrictions). thanks to (the late) marc chambers advise, i've had a home (broadcast quality) studio for 20 years (or more).

Last edited by the original hank (March 11, 2020 11:51 am)