sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 5, 2020 5:00 pm  #1

Want A Tesla? It May Not Come With A Radio

Tesla is offering owners of its latest models the option of installing a high tech $2,500 entertainment system that, in the words of its website, will no longer have "access to AM, FM or Sirius XM radio. You will still have access to internet radio and music streaming, including streaming over Bluetooth."

As it competes with other media, radio's major strength has always been its dominance in the car. Even though it's limited to just some Tesla vehicles, the very idea is making radio station owners nervous.

Would you consider buying a car without a radio? I'm actually in the market for a new one come spring, and the radio is often the very first thing I ask about. I can't conceive of not having one in a new vehicle. 

Tesla Offers Infotainment Upgrade That Removes Radio

March 5, 2020 7:02 pm  #2

Re: Want A Tesla? It May Not Come With A Radio

Gotta have a radio!  Pissed that the 2017 didn't have HD, but the same US model did.

March 5, 2020 7:14 pm  #3

pinto wrote:

Gotta have a radio!  Pissed that the 2017 didn't have HD, but the same US model did.

It would be a deal breaker for me. The one thing I really don't get, though, is the new models with the huge touch screens. I thought we were trying to STOP distracted driving. This seems made to encourage it.  

March 5, 2020 7:22 pm  #4

I'm still pissed that my car didn't come with a CD player. 

March 5, 2020 7:48 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

pinto wrote:

It would be a deal breaker for me. The one thing I really don't get, though, is the new models with the huge touch screens. I thought we were trying to STOP distracted driving. This seems made to encourage it.  

You are not alone in thinking this.  I agree with you and remembered this Globe & Mail story from last month:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/drive/technology/article-its-not-just-cell-phones-that-are-distracting-drivers-its-the/

March 5, 2020 8:18 pm  #6

Media Observer wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

pinto wrote:

You are not alone in thinking this.  I agree with you and remembered this Globe & Mail story from last month:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/drive/technology/article-its-not-just-cell-phones-that-are-distracting-drivers-its-the/ 

Wow, thanks for that. I hadn't seen that article. But it doesn't surprise me in the least.

I recently asked a dealer when I started to explore my new car options if it was possible to just put one of the old radio systems - a dial and a few knobs - into a new car. I was told even if I was willing to pay more, they wouldn't be able to do it. There was no choice and no option to go back to the way if was. 

I'm not being old fashioned when I say I think these things are, if not dangerous, at least not helpful. And speaking only for myself, I don't need 3/4 of all those bells and whistles and I doubt I'll ever use any of them.

March 6, 2020 12:19 am  #7

Teslas are not equipped with AM radios as it is. And no XM satellite either. Although we do have Tunein, Spotify, LiveXLive and Netflix when parked.

March 6, 2020 1:04 am  #8

RadioActive wrote:

Tesla is offering owners of its latest models the option of installing a high tech $2,500 entertainment system that, in the words of its website, will no longer have "access to AM, FM or Sirius XM radio. You will still have access to internet radio and music streaming, including streaming over Bluetooth."

As it competes with other media, radio's major strength has always been its dominance in the car. Even though it's limited to just some Tesla vehicles, the very idea is making radio station owners nervous.

Would you consider buying a car without a radio? I'm actually in the market for a new one come spring, and the radio is often the very first thing I ask about. I can't conceive of not having one in a new vehicle. 

Tesla Offers Infotainment Upgrade That Removes Radio

Watching videos while driving .. what can go wrong?

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 6, 2020 1:07 pm  #9

Most folks don't like radio commercials or paying for stuff like subscriptions - add repetitive, shitty 400 song playlists or over the top talk radio bullshit and you get the picture - people want more personal choice and each generation gets used to the new tech available to do this  - so you're seeing people hooking up their phone to the car to play their own 3000 song playlist or download a podcast they can hear when they like or listen to an internet station that's free - it's a very slow process for sure but it's moving and radio is lobbying the necessary players as hard as oil and gas companies to remain viable

March 6, 2020 1:56 pm  #10

Johnny B wrote:

Most folks don't like radio commercials or paying for stuff like subscriptions - add repetitive, shitty 400 song playlists or over the top talk radio bullshit and you get the picture - people want more personal choice and each generation gets used to the new tech available to do this  - so you're seeing people hooking up their phone to the car to play their own 3000 song playlist or download a podcast they can hear when they like or listen to an internet station that's free - it's a very slow process for sure but it's moving and radio is lobbying the necessary players as hard as oil and gas companies to remain viable

Sadly, as someone who loves the medium, you may be right. On the other hand, I'd like to see Spotify or a playlist warn me about a huge hours-long tie-up on the 401 at rush hour because of an accident, a white-out coming in off the lake in the middle of a sudden winter snow storm, a school closing due to a fire or a child abducted by drug dealers being found safe and sound just before midnight.

By the way, about a year ago, I was coming back from the vet, picking up something for my dog. When I got in the car, I turned the key and found, while the thing started, the radio and the accessories suddenly weren't working. I will never forget driving home in that complete silence and how creepy it was. It turned out to be an easily fixed short circuit. But I really missed the radio when it wasn't there. When I drove the vehicle to the garage to get it fixed, I took a portable one with me.

And that, in the end, may well be why radio will be hanging on for a while. And why I would never consider buying a car without one. 

March 6, 2020 2:37 pm  #11

"""Watching videos while driving .. what can go wrong?"""

... An in-car mini-fridge to keep your beer cold and you're all set for a relaxing commute home!