sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 6, 2019 6:10 pm  #1

Alex Trebek Reveals Pancreatic Cancer Diagnosis

Alex Trebek has been diagnosed with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer, but pledges to finish this season of Jeopardy. Pancreatic cancer, which took my sister-in-law in a matter of weeks after she was diagnosed, is in most cases a death sentence. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but that's the nature of that form of the disease. It is almost impossible to defeat and has a survival rate of something like only 8% after five years.

Despite the odds (and joking in the video below that his contract runs for three more years) Trebek vows he's going to fight to beat it, which won't be easy. I doubt he will be able to host the game show after this season, if he finishes it at all and I wonder if the producers have anyone else in mind or have ever considered the possibility of who might replace him after some 35 years as host. 

Alex Trebek announces he has stage 4 pancreatic cancer

March 6, 2019 6:21 pm  #2

Re: Alex Trebek Reveals Pancreatic Cancer Diagnosis

By the way, I should add one of the few people who actually beat the odds works in broadcasting right here in Toronto.

Libby Znaimer, former reporter for City TV, currently with AM 740 and sister of owner Moses Znaimer, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and survived, thanks to a risky and somewhat new treatment at Princess Margaret Hospital.

But it won't work for everyone and the prognosis is often very grim. 

Libby Znaimer beats breast and pancreatic cancers

March 6, 2019 6:49 pm  #3

Shitposty, Postmedia-level title...

March 6, 2019 6:54 pm  #4

Man, what a week....lot's of not so good news...I love Alex and Jeopardy...wishing him a full recovery!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

March 7, 2019 2:36 pm  #5

I saw the Doc as well.  It was a good informative piece.

April 15, 2019 8:58 am  #6

I just found an article about Art Fleming's early radio career in Ohio. If you don't remember the name, he hosted the original Jeopardy that ran on NBC from 1964-1975. What struck me most, though wasn't his life in broadcasting but how it ended. In a bizarre coincidence, Fleming died from pancreatic cancer - the same disease that current Jeopardy host Alex Trebek is fighting. 

Original ‘Jeopardy!’ host was Akron radio star     

April 15, 2019 10:25 am  #7

Ronnie Hawkins had pancreatic cancer. According to Wikipedia (and its sources), he attributed his survival to everything from psychic healers to native herbal medicine.

April 15, 2019 4:49 pm  #8

Saul wrote:

Ronnie Hawkins had pancreatic cancer. According to Wikipedia (and its sources), he attributed his survival to everything from psychic healers to native herbal medicine. 

The late Bob Hunter, founder of Greenpeace and the Ecology reporter for City TV, had prostate cancer and as was his maverick want, he eschewed traditional medicine, travelling to Mexico instead for a host of questionable treatments. By the time he realized none of the stuff would work, it was too late. He died about six months later in 2005. 

March 4, 2020 3:30 pm  #9

Alex Trebek updates fans on his condition. "I joked with friends that the cancer won’t kill me; the chemo treatments will." But despite all the odds, a year later, he's still here - and amazingly, still hosting Jeopardy. 

March 4, 2020 5:54 pm  #10

Good for you Trebek!  And you're 100% right about the chemo!  Radiation hath no charm either. Proof of the expression: the cure is worse than the disease.