sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 29, 2020 8:48 pm  #1

Radio Automation Before Computers: How Did They Do It?

This is from last November, but it's still timely - if that time is the mid 1970s. Ever wonder how stations went automated before there was a computer to control the process? This article visits that era and shows just how much equipment has now essentially been replaced by a single machine. The pics of these gadgets are really terrific. 

Reels, carts & carousels - radio automation of the 70s 

March 1, 2020 12:34 am  #2

Re: Radio Automation Before Computers: How Did They Do It?

we had that unit in Sudbury in the late 80s!

March 1, 2020 9:20 am  #3

CKGL FM in Kitchener mid 70's had a unit similar but somewhat larger. The monstrosity was nicknamed "Charlie".

The station was country and Charlie was used for part of the day, evenings, overnight and weekends. In college I worked as an operator weekend evenings at CHYM AM but had to babysit the automation for FM.  Often Charlie was beeping which meant something didn't run correctly.  I would be  running back and forth between the AM studio and Charlie's air conditioned glass enclosed room, to try and fix whatever didn't run.    Must say I was in good shape and slim back then with all of the running and sprinting between the AM studio and Charlie's room all evening long.

When Charlie worked it was great, but when it screwed up, which seemed to happen on evenings and weekends, could be a bit of a nightmare.  Back then FM really didn't have big numbers, and the AM station, which brought in the money and had the ratings, was always the first priority.  So Charlie sometimes had to wait in line.

Last edited by paterson1 (March 1, 2020 9:29 am)

March 1, 2020 9:40 am  #4

What did the old WBEN-FM use in the Rock 102 days? Their impact in the GTA  back in the 70s was considerable.

March 1, 2020 10:20 am  #5

Rock 102 likely had something similar or a unit like the photo. They were the first FM station to play the hits in Southern Ontario and Western New York. Pretty dry programming with the announcers mostly voice tracked and at times poor audio quality, it improved in the 80's.  When I read the rating ballots in 1983/84 at BBM , Rock 102 and WYRK country FM were the only Buffalo stations to show up in the ratings, but only a few ballots.   

I remember they had the same problems as Charlie at CKGL. Once heard Rock 102 go through about 10 minutes with only promos, time checks, and PSA's and then dead air for about 5 minutes. I listened to them from time to time since they were playing the hits and  wanted to hear when they had issues like at CKGL.   Always wondered if they had a name for their automation like we did!  I bet they did. 

March 1, 2020 10:27 am  #6

I seem to recall local Toronto broadcasters complaining bitterly to the CRTC about them, worried they were stealing Canadian audiences. It was a long time ago, but I do remember they were pretty pissed off about that siphoning off of ears.

At some point, the government introduced rules to reduce Canadian companies advertising on Buffalo radio and TV, but eventually Rock 102 disappeared and the simsub regs came to cable and that pretty much solved the problem. 

I can't think of the last time I saw a Canadian company advertising on a Buffalo TV station. 

March 1, 2020 11:19 am  #7

At CKLA in Guelph, we had "Otto" .  It had its moments but overall, it worked surprisingly well. 

One of the trickier aspects was organizing the carts for commercials for the next day so that no two carts in the same stopset would play from the same carousel.  One of the folks wrote a BASIC program to figure it out.  It sometimes took a couple of hours to figure it out.  I had access to a compiler and compiled it which brought the speed up to about 10 minutes.

One of the other often misunderstood parts of the system was the deadroll cart.  It was a 30 minute cart the system would fire every half-hour at 3 minutes to the half-hour.  If a song ended in that 3 minute window, it would crossfade to the instrumental piece already playing on the cart which would end right at the half hour keeping the system synched.  Any unused events in that half-hour were skipped.  Producing those carts was a bugger because of all the back-timing you had to do.  One screw-up and you had to start all over.

Yet it was all triggered with a 25hz tone.  Amazing when you think about it.

If I'm not mistaken, Rock-102, CKGL and CKLA used the same technology, although the equipment was slightly different.

March 1, 2020 11:22 am  #8

RadioActive wrote:

What did the old WBEN-FM use in the Rock 102 days? Their impact in the GTA  back in the 70s was considerable.

I don't know which automation / equipment system was used, but WBEN-FM / Rock 102 did use the Stereo Rock format programming service from TM Century in Texas.  The service was open reel tape based (7 1/2 IPS / 14" reels).

I found this MP 3 which is an archived demo of the service (not specifically from Rock 102).

I believe the TM Century announcer is John Borders ???  (Roger Christian was the local/live voice for Rock 102)

https://app.box.com/s/gcqtsvh79ad6rhbg287n

March 1, 2020 11:29 am  #9

There may have eventually been some concern about Rock 102 from Toronto radio, but what good would complaining to the CRTC do? I don't recall Rock 102 having that great an impact in terms of ratings, the potential was there, but did it really happen?  Mid 70's FM was just starting to get a little traction here, there were still  more AM stations and they had the ratings and made the money for broadcasters in Canada. The US, as in most things was 3-7 years ahead of us in terms of FM listenership.

Rogers carried a lot of Buffalo radio in the late 70's into the 90's where I was living on FM cable.  But into the late 90's-2000's more local over the air FM radio became available and later satellite and internet radio. So FM cable became much less popular.  I know this is true because when I was living in Owen Sound many people dropped FM cable (those that actually paid for it) when three new local FM stations came on the air and other regional out of market stations became available over the air. Over a few years you never even heard Toronto radio in stores and businesses any longer, where it had been common a few years earlier.

Simsub was a little complicated. Had a lot to do with territory and program rights, the advent of the CN Tower, and Canadian TV running programs prior to border stations, Canadian advertisers able to have a tax write off on US advertising, cable TV which greatly increased the coverage area for mostly American  border stations.  Buffalo TV would never reach places like Owen Sound, Collingwood, North Bay, Sudbury etc off air. So simsub was a bit of a complicated thing, and like it or not solved a few problems on both sides of the border.

March 1, 2020 11:38 am  #10

paterson1 wrote:

There may have eventually been some concern about Rock 102 from Toronto radio, but what good would complaining to the CRTC do? I don't recall Rock 102 having that great an impact in terms of ratings, the potential was there, but did it really happen?  Mid 70's FM was just starting to get a little traction here, there were still  more AM stations and they had the ratings and made the money for broadcasters in Canada.

I was in high school around the time Rock 102 became a big thing here and I remember everybody talking about it and listening to it. The reason - there were no FM Top 40 stations in Canada at the time and to be able to listen to the hits in stereo with so few commercials was a novelty. Plus, their 100,000 watt grandfathered signal into Toronto guaranteed good reception even without an antenna on your radio.

And inevitably, when more ears tuned into it here, more Canadian companies started advertising on it. And that's why stations here complained to the CRTC. The removal of those tax breaks, as you noted (which was primarily aimed at the Buffalo TV stations) also affected Rock 102.

Simsub, which I fully understand but still hate with a passion, eventually solved the problem once and for all for TV broadcasters here.  

March 1, 2020 12:08 pm  #11

I could definitely see highschool kids liking Rock 102 back in the day, it was different and new. And WBEN-FM was going from zero listeners here to at least showing up when they went Top 40 on FM.  Frankly I was surprised they didn't have more ballot comments when reading the ratings. Toronto FM radio, FM 96 London and CHYM FM all showed up fairly strong but very little from Buffalo, and this was when Rogers was carrying about 5 Buffalo FM stations.   

I recall when CFNY must have been doing alright in Buffalo/WNY years ago since they had some  US advertising and would broadcast live to air at a few clubs in Niagara Falls NY and Buffalo back in the 90's.  

March 1, 2020 12:20 pm  #12

Rock 102 definitely made an impact with Toronto listeners to the point where their surveys were carried here. Not necessarily my favorite format at the time but I did manage to pick up some of their surveys and have copied two of them below from 1986 and 1988. Toronto is mentioned on both:

Last edited by Fitz (March 1, 2020 12:25 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

March 1, 2020 12:28 pm  #13

@RadioActive:

At Rock 102, I know that the packages were called "Stereo Rock" from TM in Dallas, Texas.  I did and still do have considerable interest in that system, because it sounded so STELLAR, in terms of audio quality.  There would be a hits reel that was interchanged often, and then a recurrents and gold reel.  The hits (or currents) were backsold by the late John Borders (who I didn't realize died in 2016)..

I recorded lots of music off of Rock 102 on to Type II BASF cassettes for later listening. I wish I kept them.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

March 1, 2020 1:11 pm  #14

March 1, 2020 1:25 pm  #15

My strongest memory of Rock 102 is a strange one. They had Ringo Starr's "Photograph" in heavy rotation at the time, it was a huge hit and they played it a lot. But for reasons I was never able to figure out - a bad edit or a warped LP or 45 when it was put on one of those big reels - there was a very obvious skip in the record on WBEN-FM and no one at the station ever noticed.

So it was played over and over and over again like that to the point that even when I hear that song today, all these years later, I still expect to hear that skip and brace myself for it. Although, of course, it never comes. I wonder if it went out to every station that way. 

March 1, 2020 1:35 pm  #16

I think that's why people liked Rock 102 since it was easy to record music from the station with no announcers talking over songs, few commercials/interruptions and of course it was in stereo.  Sort of like a jukebox. And in the early years they weren't tight so they did play most songs right up until the fade.

When I was growing up I could listen to Rock 102 off air as well but I wanted to be an announcer and the voice tracking to me was monotone, with no personality and static. I was still into AM top 40 that had energy, jingles and a tight format, and I had my radio heroes like John Mahjor and Daryl B on CHUM that I enjoyed listening to.  A few of my cooler friends liked FM but it was usually CHUM FM, Q or CFNY which all played "head" music which they seemed to like and not top 40. I didn't really get into FM until a bit later, and by then FM was starting to sound a little more like AM anyway. 

March 1, 2020 1:37 pm  #17

HI RA,
When I worked in Thunder Bay, while going to RTA at Con College, my part-time gig was working at the "Hill" and occasionally I made my way upstairs to CJSD-FM with the big automation system.   Ok, if you listened very carefully, you heard a "hiss" on the air during music.    No wonder, tapes ran at 3 3/4 ips, you've got to love to love that signal to noise ratio. And to top it off, "Del King" was the canned announcer. The news was sometimes taped from the AM side from CKPR, and most of the station was run by part-time students.  The whole schlocky thing, including the announce booth could fit in a small bedroom.

March 1, 2020 1:53 pm  #18

Hey Foxer- I worked at 580/CKPR spring 1977 to November 1979.  Yes I remember CJSD well.  Me and another jock (Dan Bonk) hosted Disco 94 on Friday/Saturday nights on FM. What a time, my first job in radio and so much fun. To me it was like college but I was getting paid, not much mind you.  I worked for Ray Dee, a great guy who gave the announcers quite a bit of freedom. CKPR was a good little top 40 station and number one in the market and the number two station CBQ  would beat us in a few dayparts but not many. CFPA was the other AM station with a mellower version of the CKPR format.

March 1, 2020 3:36 pm  #19

paterson1 wrote:

I think that's why people liked Rock 102... no announcers talking over songs, few commercials/interruptions and of course it was in stereo...When I was growing up I could listen to Rock 102 off air as well but I wanted to be an announcer and the voice tracking to me was monotone, with no personality and static. I was still into AM top 40 that had energy, jingles and a tight format, and I had my radio heroes like John Mahjor and Daryl B on CHUM that I enjoyed listening to.

I went through my Rock 102 phase because it was on FM and in stereo. But you're not wrong about personality radio. It's the only thing that mattered to me when I was choosing a station back then. The early CFTR, which featured greats like Doc Holiday (aka Gil Harris), Brady in the Morning, Steve Young (also known as Keith Elshaw), Dan Williamson and others was my local go-to outlet. 

I used to be a big CHUM fan, but when they went Drake (not the current singer, but the format!) back in the early 70s, they lost me for good. At night, I vastly preferred WNBC New York, with unbelIevable talent like Oogie Pringle, Venon With A V, Imus, Cousin Brucie, Wolfman Jack, Dick Summer, Just Plain Al Brady and more, all of which was totally personality based. That version of it remains my favourite radio station of all time.

After they shifted format, WGAR Cleveland became my choice with legends like The Real Bob James on at night. What a line-up! Their PD, John Lund, decreed that every jock in every daypart should be a "morning man." That led to some of the most creative radio in the history of Top 40. 

Sadly, a lot of this was happening as FM was on the ascension, so they eventually faded in the ratings and now WNBC is gone and WGAR is a country station on FM.

Those line-ups would cost a fortune today. But they sure were fun while they lasted. 

I've always said that anyone can play the same music. It's what's on between the songs that differentiates one station from another. Sadly, that's a lesson that seems lost on today's radio.  

March 1, 2020 5:12 pm  #20

Aw yes. ROCK102. That was my go to station in the 70's when Top 40 was not permitted on FM in Canada. It was the first station I preset on my first car. [1978 Plymouth Volarè]  On my first trip to Montreal, in 1979 I was able to listen to them to about half way between Kingston and Cornwall before succumbing to CBOX in Ottawa. When I would visit my sister in Sudbury, I could hear the station as far as the French River, at least in the higher elevation areas. Today the WTSS signal doesn't travel very far north of Toronto with CBLA-4 operating on the same frequency out of Shelburne.

March 1, 2020 5:41 pm  #21

I liked personality radio but wasn't a big fan of jocks that made the show all about them. And I didn't like announcers that were always doing long bits and had a lot of characters on their shows. Some of that is fine but not constant.  Certainly in the morning shows it is expected even needed but to me not all day. Shock jocks and those that were always pushing the envelope or trying to be outrageous I didn't really consider as announcers, more like stand up comedians with a radio show.  First time I heard Howard Stern, I thought he was terrible and so into himself.  But what the hell do I know, he only makes about $75 million per year!!  Howard is a lot better now because he has finally grown up somewhat.

CHUM actually went to a Drake type format in 1968 but they did their own modified version and didn't adapt it totally like KHJ or CKLW.  And you are right they did lose some of the personality of the announcers and even lost some jocks who couldn't adapt to the shorter, tighter format that pushed the music and contests.

March 1, 2020 7:03 pm  #22

Here's a brief sample of Rock 102 in 1976. The announcer is John Borders.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (March 1, 2020 7:05 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 1, 2020 8:30 pm  #23

So my first experience with automation was quite a shocker.   1979, working at a small mid western Ontario station, I was heading into work mid afternoon and listening to a buddy do his regular shift on the AM side.
As I was listening to him doing a break I actually saw him heading down the main street of the town on his Yamaha 650.    I could not figure out for the life of me what was going on.
Later that evening when he showed up at the station he told me that every Friday after his regular shift he would sit in the studio, record 3 or 4 hours of Saturdays show in real time on a reel to reel tape.  Then head in for the start of the shift, cue up the tape and let it play.   The bosses never showed up on weekends so they did not have a clue.   I thought it was brilliant at the time but see now that this was the beginning of voice tracking, and the end of real radio as we once knew it.
Way to go Andy Beasley.   No idea what ever happened to him.

August 16, 2020 4:13 pm  #24

I'm resurrecting this old thread after discovering a Drake-Chenault site that talks about how their automation was done. It's a fascinating glimpse into a time when everything was still on reel-to-reel tape. If you're not familiar with D-C, it was the producer of some of the best music radio documentaries ever made, most notably "The History Of Rock and Roll," a 48-hour extravaganza made in 1969 (and updated twice in later years.) 

You can read about the history of The History here. 

But as for the early automation system (they sold a number of fully autonomous formats to radio stations), it had to be created to work in any situation. And they figured out how. 

"The answer was developed by D-C: put the end-cues ("EOM"s) on the program elements (music, jingles, etc) one second early, so the automation equipment had a "one second head start". This would compensate for the start-up delay of the reel-to-reel playback decks, and yield tight segues without any "wow-in". The next challenge was to figure out how to put those inaudible 25 Hz tones at the end of each song precisely one second early..."

"...At the end of each song on the tape, a cue tone was recorded on a separate track. However, it wasn't the usual 25 Hz cue tone and it wasn't recorded one second early. It was a 1 kHz tone that was recorded in "real time", i.e., at the logical segue point for the song, not one second early. Because this tone was easily audible (through a small "cue" speaker) and it was on a separate track, it was easy for the studio engineer to place it at the proper segue point, tight against the end of the song. The cue tone could easily be re-recorded as many times as necessary until it's placement was appropriate to the song ending."

As Paul Harvey might say, the rest of the story can be found here.

August 16, 2020 10:16 pm  #25

RadioActive wrote:

My strongest memory of Rock 102 is a strange one. They had Ringo Starr's "Photograph" in heavy rotation at the time, it was a huge hit and they played it a lot. But for reasons I was never able to figure out - a bad edit or a warped LP or 45 when it was put on one of those big reels - there was a very obvious skip in the record on WBEN-FM and no one at the station ever noticed.

So it was played over and over and over again like that to the point that even when I hear that song today, all these years later, I still expect to hear that skip and brace myself for it. Although, of course, it never comes. I wonder if it went out to every station that way. 

On a similar note, I remember reading an article in Rolling Stone magazine in the late 80's when CD reissues were the big thing. One engineer was talking about how a lot of albums were "rush-released" just to make money. He made note of the fact that The Rolling Stones "19th Nervous Breakdown" had tape wow towards the end on one of those releases. Interesting, because I have a vinyl copy of "Hot Rocks", one of their earlier compilations, that I bought back in the early 80's and it doesn't have that pitch deviation (or at least nowhere near as noticeable). However, that little anomaly does appear on their 2002 compilation, "Forty Licks". Most radio stations I listen to nowadays seem to play the "wow" version. It's almost like it's become the standard version now.

PJ

Last edited by Paul Jeffries (August 16, 2020 10:17 pm)

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!