sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 26, 2020 8:58 pm  #1

This Story About The CBC Is, Frankly, Baffling

I've read this story a few times and I have to admit I can't make sense of it. Not the content, but the point of having the CBC trademark the word "Oh."

Yes really, according to Blacklock's Reporter, which is an online site that digs up a lot of exclusive stories, but costs a fortune to subscribe to. I know the Toronto Sun and Blacklock's are Conservative, but if what they're saying is true - and Blacklock's is pretty reliable overall - I can't quite figure out the point. 

What kind of branding is "CBC Oh?" (Or is it "Oh CBC?") And I can't make heads or tails out of "Radio-Canada Oh-Dio." 

Strange, even for the Corp. 

CBC files trademark claim for 'Oh': Report

February 26, 2020 9:14 pm  #2

Re: This Story About The CBC Is, Frankly, Baffling

Clearly a sinister fourth phase of the One World Government's Plan.

February 26, 2020 9:43 pm  #3

"Oh" is probably going to be part of a jingle or graphic that they will be using for an upcoming campaign. Guess Radio Canada's will be something similar?  This would be a change since the two networks usually have different promotion campaigns. 

CHFI has some nice new commercials out right now, (When your song comes on at work). Saw a few of them on CBC and of course on City.  Much better ads than the last campaign.

February 26, 2020 10:13 pm  #4

I still remember the CBC campaign from the mid 90s...  CBC and You.

And it lent itself very nicely to the in house parody "CBC and Moo" which apparently didn't go over to well with many of the CBC peeps who were parodied  in the gag version....

February 26, 2020 10:30 pm  #5

Can you really trademark a word like "Oh?"

What's next? "News?"

Sorry, you can't call yourself a newscast. We own the rights to that...

February 26, 2020 11:38 pm  #6

I would imagine the "oh" is part of a logo or slogan they may use for promotion. In that story (or maybe we should say propaganda) from the Sun, the graphic they show looks like something the paper slapped together. Interesting how the Sun and Post Media always manage to slam the CBC regardless of the story, and regurgitate items from past articles. And the Sun tends to get very upset whenever their shortcomings or failings are pointed out to them. But CBC is supported by taxpayers, so that means it's always open season on the corps. This is why the Sun/Post Media has a negative article on CBC and a call for defunding every couple of weeks in their papers. In fact they have been doing this for the past couple of decades.

February 27, 2020 12:50 am  #7

Just for the record, the graphic wasn't from The Sun. It was on the article page from Blacklock's Reporter and the paper just reproduced it.

https://www.blacklocks.ca/oh-cbc-tries-new-motto/

February 27, 2020 1:23 am  #8

Thanks for that didn't know. I knew the graphic wasn't legit. Too bad Erin O'Toole has taken this stance on the CBC. It might pick him up a few votes for the Tory leadership, but won't get him many votes in the election.

A lot of older conservatives and progressives in the party like CBC TV.  The Liberals have given the Conservatives many many more important things to focus on. Running negative on CBC makes the Tories look like they are anti-culture which isn't a smart move. I know they think that CBC doesn't give them a fair shake, but talk of defunding them won't help much.  Also those in the party that have always hated the CBC will inevitably say something stupid or over the top and are wasting time on something that isn't a big issue for most people.  Stick to the economy, deficit, and general mismanagement, that's where the Liberals are very vunerable. 

Last edited by paterson1 (February 27, 2020 1:45 am)

February 27, 2020 4:00 pm  #9

paterson1 wrote:

Thanks for that didn't know. I knew the graphic wasn't legit.

It is. Most trademark offices have databases that are publicly accessible.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/viewTrademark?id=0926221&tab=reg&lang=eng
http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/viewTrademark?id=0926217&tab=reg&lang=eng

February 27, 2020 6:49 pm  #10

Tony Burman, a former CBC executive who now teaches and also writes a weekly column for the Toronto Star, weighs in on a new book about the network. He agrees with the idea that it should not only give up advertising, but also sports, music and drama and concentrate solely on news.

CBC without Hockey Night In Canada? "Oh," indeed.

Toss out sports. Ditch drama. Why the CBC needs radical change to survive

February 27, 2020 7:45 pm  #11

Retaw wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Thanks for that didn't know. I knew the graphic wasn't legit.

It is. Most trademark offices have databases that are publicly accessible.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/viewTrademark?id=0926221&tab=reg&lang=eng
http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/viewTrademark?id=0926217&tab=reg&lang=eng

I stand corrected. Looks like CBC did submit this but it reads like it is not necessarily the final design and there will be many variations on this. It also seems like they are trademarking  Oh with the CBC logo, and not just the word Oh. Same for the French version.

Last edited by paterson1 (February 27, 2020 8:37 pm)

February 27, 2020 8:33 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

Tony Burman, a former CBC executive who now teaches and also writes a weekly column for the Toronto Star, weighs in on a new book about the network. He agrees with the idea that it should not only give up advertising, but also sports, music and drama and concentrate solely on news.

CBC without Hockey Night In Canada? "Oh," indeed.

Toss out sports. Ditch drama. Why the CBC needs radical change to survive

Well nothing against Tony, but all he really knows about is news, so not surprising that he wants CBC TV to become exclusively a news and information network.  Broadcasters with only a news background usually don't know much about programming.  Drop sports, advertising, scripted programming?  Why not, Tony doesn't appear to know or understand anything about them anyway.  Wasn't he the Chief Strategic Adviser and Managing Director for Al Jazeera English?  Until they went out of business that is.

CBC TV needs work, no doubt about it, but he only talks about cutbacks in the news department. There were plenty of other cutbacks at CBC, not only news.  Right now there is more film and TV production both domestic and international shot and produced in Canada than ever before. So you could also make an  equally strong case that the industry is also going  the other way.  All of the new streaming networks are looking for partners and content.

If anything the CBC should capitalize on this and become more aggressive in commercial TV and film production. They already have the studios, people and equipment.  Do what BBC does, have a unit that competes directly with private film and TV producers.  If successful this would bring in money and be profitable like BBC's international production unit. If the Brits can do it, so can CBC.

CBC TV exclusively a news operation??...please...