sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 17, 2020 8:15 pm  #1

U.S. Nightly Network News Does 2 Back-To-Back Stories On Radio

I'm not sure I've ever seen this before - a single major U.S. TV network did not one but two stories on radio on their flagship nightly newscast. In this case, it was CBS on Monday night. 

The first story was almost jaw-dropping - three local stations in Kansas City, Missouri are airing "Radio Sputnik," essentially a Russian propaganda service paid for by the Kremlin. How it's allowed is beyond me, but I suppose there's no law against it. Wait till you see the smarmy owner of the chain explaining why he thinks it's OK. 

Russia's Radio Sputnik, funded by the Kremlin, airing in Kansas City 

The second story, which immediately followed after a two minute commercial break, was about an old topic on this board - why country music radio stations refuse to play two female singers back-to-back, despite the fact that some of the biggest stars in that genre today are women. 

Fans want to hear more female artists on country radio, but stations lag behind 

Unfortunately the video isn't up for either yet, but hopefully both will appear at least after the network news airs on the west coast.  It's rare enough to see anything about radio on TV, but to have two in a row on a major network is something I don't ever remember and we're not likely to see it happen again for a long time.  

February 17, 2020 10:04 pm  #2

Re: U.S. Nightly Network News Does 2 Back-To-Back Stories On Radio

I believe China Radio International (formerly known as Radio Beijing) leases time on a few stations in the US as well. A few years ago while tuning the FM dial in Toronto I heard an English program that turned out to be from CRI. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WCRW

February 17, 2020 10:13 pm  #3

Wow. Considering the relations between the two countries - the U.S. and China, not to mention the Americans and Russia - you'd think there would be some rule to stop this. But I suppose the First Amendment makes it permissible. 

And of course, many U.S. cable and dish companies carry RT, funded by Moscow. It operates in several languages, including English and Arabic, and offers a Russian perspective (a kind word for propaganda) on the news 24 hours a day. 

Very few watch it. 

RT TV network

February 17, 2020 10:45 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

And of course, many U.S. cable and dish companies carry RT, funded by Moscow. It operates in several languages, including English and Arabic, and offers a Russian perspective (a kind word for propaganda) on the news 24 hours a day. 

Very few watch it. 
RT TV network

Not just American companies.  When I took a new cable package in 2017 RT was included.  The "perspectives" were obvious.  I took the channel off my Guide and early in '18 Rogers announced that they were deleting it from my package; (the only time a Rogers channel deletion hasn't bothered me).  It is still available in the International News Theme Pack.  

Last edited by Media Observer (February 17, 2020 10:51 pm)

February 17, 2020 11:12 pm  #5

Anyone remember Moscow Mailbag?

I first heard it on CKO.