sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 11, 2020 10:57 pm  #1

Lyle Mays passes away at 66

If you have ever heard of Pat Metheny, then no doubt you've heard of his long time musical partner and creative keyboardist Lyle Mays

Mays passed away on Monday night. He has won numerous Grammy Awards, he was involved in the Soundtrack for the movie The Falcon and the Snowman and has worked with Earth Wind and Fire, Joni Mitchell and Rickie Lee Jones...

His work is impeccable and at 66 it is still too young...it shows you that life is fleeting.

I fell in love with Pat Metheny in the late 70's...CFNY used to play him and now of course Jazz FM does and it is the cut the Last Train Home ends the syndicated radio show, Radio Deluxe (heard Sundays at 10 am on Jazz FM) with hosts John Pizzarelli and Jessica Molaskey.

Here is to a very talented, creative, thoughtful musician!  RIP

https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/noted-jazz-keyboardist-lyle-mays-dies-at-66-1.4806781

Here is one of my fave Mays and Metheny cuts...it is 10 minutes long, but worth the watch, their music was brilliant, hopeful, lively, other-wordly at times and just a joy to listen to.

Warning, this song will shift your vibe for the better!

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (February 11, 2020 11:00 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

February 12, 2020 1:13 am  #2

Re: Lyle Mays passes away at 66

Discovered Pat Metheny, Lyle Mays et al at Carleton University 35+ years ago. I was into older 40s-60s jazz, my dorm roommate was into that and also more contemporary jazz. Opened a whole new world for me... I have tons of their stuff, still have my vinyl...