sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 11, 2020 12:15 pm  #1

Oscars drew the lowest audience ever

Well the Red Carpet got walked on less this year as the viewing audience for this Oscars reached an all time low.

Here is more on this story...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-10/oscars-draw-lowest-audience-on-record-with-23-6-million-viewers

Anyone want to share why this is?

I think movie goers aren't going to the theaters so much. Plus the Oscars are a huge time suck!

What's your take?

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

February 11, 2020 12:23 pm  #2

Re: Oscars drew the lowest audience ever

They are too cheap to pay a host so they got what they deserve.
Get a good host and heavily promote that prior to the event.
Maybe people will watch just for the host? lol

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 11, 2020 12:28 pm  #3

Could be that viewers have had their fill of awards shows that have become overly-preachy and political in the past few years.

Maybe people are wanting their entertainment to be more entertaining, perhaps?

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

February 11, 2020 3:14 pm  #4

There is no reason to watch this in a world of infinite choice. It's not uncommon to think these award ceremonies are just multimillionaires patting each other on the back while trying to shame the proletariat into supporting their political causes. If you somehow do care, why watch it live and deal with commercials or long acceptance speeches when you can just find what you want online almost immediately?

I will say, the discourse around Parasite has been fun. I've seen a lot of snobbish elitism about how America is filled with uncultured swines who won't watch a foreign movie - a sentiment the film's director even shared. Yet, the U.S. is that movie's largest international market and the only dub of it you can get here is a French one. I'm sure moviegoing audiences will appreciate the condescension.

February 11, 2020 4:43 pm  #5

CTV had a great night with the Academy Awards with 4.45 million viewers. So in proportion they did much better in Canada than the US in terms of viewers. As I mentioned in a previous post, CTV's red carpet show with Ben Mulroney was well done. Even though a lot of people like to rag on Ben, everyone he interviewed seemed to like and respect him. He has been doing this a long time and he does get the interviews with Hollywood's best.

I don't have the hate on for Hollywood that some on here seem to have. I take it for what it is, glitz, glamour and entertainment. Stars that get too political do so at their peril, since it can backfire on them very quickly.

Why are the ratings down so much? Award fatigue probably, and the fact that the viewership in the US has really drifted from the 4 main networks and split up hundreds of different ways. I would be interested to see the advertising rates of some of the prime time shows that are only drawing 4 million viewers and still ending up in the top 30 on Nielsen.  Even "hit" shows like Young Sheldon are only attracting a little over 8 million viewers.  Streaming and PVR don't help the advertisers, and they pay the bills. There is likely a lot of bonus ads played on the networks to try to give advertisers some added value.