sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 10, 2020 4:29 pm  #1

Is This The Greatest PAMS Radio Jingle Of All Time?

Anyone who loves or collects jingles knows how great the PAMS series was. But it's possible you've never heard what just might be the greatest (or at least truthful) radio jingle of all time. It was contained at the end of a PAMS series for WGAR in Cleveland around 1973. And I only ever heard it used on air once. 

It was employed by the wonderful Real Bob James on the station sometime in 1975, who launched into it after telling a terrible but hilarious joke on his show one night. He told me years later that he found it in a production room at the station and that no one had ever bothered with it before, but he thought it was perfect. 

It's a 13 sec. I.D. no disc jockey or radio personality should ever be without, because eventually this jingle tolls for thee. 

The World's Most Prophetic Radio Jingle?

February 10, 2020 4:33 pm  #2

Re: Is This The Greatest PAMS Radio Jingle Of All Time?

By the way, if you want to hear all 37:24 of this classic package, you can find it here. The jingle referred to above comes at the very end - which, come to think of it, is only appropriate. 

February 10, 2020 6:36 pm  #3

Here's an interesting montage from 1050 CHUM, this starts with a  jingle prior to the rock and roll era of the station. Jingles include from Pepper Tanner, Pams, TM, and Jam.  CHUM had hundreds of jingles over it's time as a top 40 station and this is just a sampling. This is courtesy of Dale Patterson's Rock Radio Scrapbook site.  Enjoy these bring back memories... http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/chumjingles.mp3

Last edited by paterson1 (February 10, 2020 6:39 pm)

February 10, 2020 7:25 pm  #4

Personally. I preferred the Drake era jingles from 1968 into the mid 70's. The early 60's jingles seemed pretty lame. However,  the Big Bad John parody jingle by James Dean was clever.

February 10, 2020 8:01 pm  #5

mace wrote:

Personally. I preferred the Drake era jingles from 1968 into the mid 70's. The early 60's jingles seemed pretty lame. However,  the Big Bad John parody jingle by James Dean was clever.

I just like all of the variety of these CHUM jingles and this is only a sample, they had many more. It was strange in the sixties, a lot of the CHUM jingles spelled out C-H-U-M and the jocks almost always never spelled out the call letters it was almost always CHUM. The modified Drake format that CHUM adopted in 1968 had the jingles no longer spelling out the call letters.

Does anyone have the CHUM jingles that were made for most of the high schools in Toronto?  I remember during CHUM's era as an oldies station they would have a high school weekend and featured these customized jingles.     I believe Scott Carpenter played some of them occasionally on Canadian Graffiti on Sunday evenings in the 70's.   They were really well done but not really played on the air that much.