sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 7, 2020 2:53 pm  #1

The Giants Of Buffalo Radio

This is about 7 years old, but somehow I've never come across it until now. It's an old special that ran on low powered WBBZ-TV in Buffalo back in 2013, and features the justifiably named Giants of Buffalo Radio: Sandy Beach, Danny Neaverth, Joey Reynolds, Stan Roberts and "Shane" Gibson. 

Every one of these guys spent years in the heyday of Top 40 radio (mostly at WKBW or WGR) and they were incredible talents. All of us who were lucky enough to work in the medium have stories about what happened behind the scenes. But these guys take it to a new level. If you love those tall tales, this special is well worth your time. It's incredibly entertaining.

February 7, 2020 4:54 pm  #2

Re: The Giants Of Buffalo Radio

Thanks for posting. It was quite enjoyable.

February 7, 2020 6:22 pm  #3

Re: The Giants Of Buffalo Radio

In the mid-70's I caught Shane's act while on vacation. I had never heard a better communicator. When I got home I told my PD about him. I guess I did a petty good selling job because the PD called Shane and asked if he'd like to sit down and talk about moving to Canada. According to the PD, Shane said he had just signed a new deal with WGR  otherwise he would have loved to have discussed a possible move.  He was probably blowing smoke, but he was such a good communicator my PD believed him.

Jefferson Kaye: in my opinion the Greatest Radio Voice Ever. I guess today he'd be called  GOAT.