sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 4, 2020 12:05 am  #1

Norman N Nite WCBS FM 1984 & FM 108 1983

A double shot of 1980's oldies radio.The first two clips feature Norman N Nite on WCBS FM  playing the hits of  March 1968 and then counting down the Top 20 from March 3 , 1968. I first became aware of Mr Nite by way of his encyclopedia of rock.  Nice to hear songs rarely played now like Sweet Inspiration by the Sweet Inspiration and The Four Season's version of Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow.The top 20 countdown is not quite complete on this tape but I may have the rest somewhere and I definitely have more Norm N Nite to upload in the future.

The third clip is from Burlington Ontario's FM 108 from 1983.  The clip features Wes Atkinson and Julius Brown. Interesting that Atkinson mistakenly plays the B side of a Dion hit taken from a DJ promo 45 that was mislabeled. Dion was actually played on some free form stations  with his new sound as heard on this B side. The Dion error occurs around 21:27 of the third clip and I guess such an error is much less likely in this digital age or at least they can cut to the right track sooner. I like the track but some may be forgiven for mistaking it for Country Joe and The Fish. Not quite the eqivalant of a commercial station today playing Captain Beefheart but  close.

I enjoyed listening to Julius Brown because he played things like Hurdy Gurdy Man and Neil Young, not necessarily the usual oldies heard on FM 108.

My favorite stations at this time were CFNY and WUWU both of which still had some semblance of a free form format but oldies in stereo on FM was a good second choice. The quality is good on both air checks.

NORMAN N NITE WCBS FM 1984 & FM 108 from 1983

Last edited by Fitz (February 4, 2020 9:03 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

February 4, 2020 8:16 am  #2

Re: Norman N Nite WCBS FM 1984 & FM 108 1983

If you like Free Form/Progressive Rock, you might try KOZT "The Coast" in Ft. Bragg, Ca. All music is played in three song sets and the jocks actually talk about the music they play. Look for the logo with the smiling shark wearing sun glasses.

February 4, 2020 9:01 am  #3

mace wrote:

If you like Free Form/Progressive Rock, you might try KOZT "The Coast" in Ft. Bragg, Ca. All music is played in three song sets and the jocks actually talk about the music they play. Look for the logo with the smiling shark wearing sun glasses.

Yes I used to listen to them online and  have some tapes. Their PD/Manager worked at KSAN FM in San Fran.

Last edited by Fitz (February 4, 2020 10:58 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:

February 9, 2020 9:52 am  #4

I found a fitting article about the oldies boom that I had saved from Jan/27/1985 from the Toronto Sun that I have scanned to this post now. Four page article that covers nostalgia radio in the GTA 1985. You can click on each pic and use the magniying fuction on a PC for better reading. I did note a few errors in the article, one in the the Dazzlin Don section where they state "anything produced by Phil Spector like the Shirelles" who were never produced by Spector as far as I know.

Here is the first page:

Last edited by Fitz (February 9, 2020 2:16 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

February 11, 2020 3:07 pm  #5

Love his books for R&R research.