sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 31, 2020 5:02 pm  #1

How The End Of The U.S. Super Bowl Feed Is Changing Ads In Canada

From the Canadian Press:

Canadian advertisers change up Super Bowl strategies following CRTC case

I would take issue with only one statement made in the story. 

"Bell Canada's broadcast on Sunday -- including Canadian commercials -- will be the only feed in the country following a Supreme Court judgment that overruled a previous decision allowing both Canadian and U.S. signals to air during the big game."

Not true. It's not the "only feed in the country." Those with TV antennas can watch it over the air for free - and more importantly, can choose which station they want to see it on. Unless you want to nitpick over the use of the word "feed."

January 31, 2020 5:40 pm  #2

Re: How The End Of The U.S. Super Bowl Feed Is Changing Ads In Canada

Fox will be charging $5.6 million per 30 second spot this year and will bring in a bucketload of cash to the tune of $400-$448 million. Attached article from the Globe gets into simsub and a few other things. It states that CTV will be charging $150-$200 thousand per ad.  Little trivia- The first Super Bowl in 1967 had multiple networks that covered the game and charged $37-$42,500 per 30 second commercial.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/television/article-why-american-ads-are-blocked-again-from-the-super-bowl-broadcast/

February 1, 2020 1:17 am  #3

Shawdirect has been in the clear with US feed always. Let's see if it remains this way this year.

February 1, 2020 10:34 am  #4

Technically, the "Super Bowl" didn't arrive until the first two games had been played. Lamar Hunt, owner of the KC  Chiefs was watching one of his children playing with a Wham-O Super Ball. That is where he got the idea for the Super Bowl. And it sounds much better than the "AFL-NFL World Championship Game" which was used originally.       Also, only twice have two networks carried the game. The first two, in 1967 and 1968 were broadcast by NBC and CBS. Commencing in 1969, CBS and NBC would alternate hosting the broadcast. ABC got their first shot in 1985, FOX in 1997.

February 1, 2020 11:02 am  #5

Tickets to the first Super Bowl cost $12 U.S. which would be about $95 today. Face Value for a ticket to last year's game was $500. One of my friends got to go all expenses paid [long story] to last years game. I have a picture of his ticket on my phone. Probably the closest I will ever get to the game. I can post the picture here if anyone is interested. Just tell me how to do it in grade one language. That is the extent of my computer knowledge.

February 2, 2020 8:00 pm  #6

The FOX feed, complete with American ads, is in the clear on Cogeco here in the Ottawa Valley... my wife is watching it via WJBK Detroit. No CTV simsub here, thank god.

February 2, 2020 9:57 pm  #7

Clear across Canada on Shawdirect. They do not have to simulsub and I am my own BDU.

February 3, 2020 12:00 am  #8

Tide guy still has a stain on his shirt during the Masked singer! lol 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 3, 2020 12:27 am  #9

Nice tie in. Might be dancing across Fox and Friends in the morning claiming the stain of impeachment can wait too.

February 3, 2020 10:07 am  #10

I find it incredibly ironic that CFRB - one of the biggest stations in Bell Media's crown - spent about an hour (collectively) talking about the U.S. Super Bowl ads on its morning show Monday. It comes after its parent successfully fought tooth and nail in the courts to keep Canadians from seeing any of them. 

And yes, I know they're available on the web, but it's not quite the same as being able to watch them as they air on the game itself. 

February 3, 2020 12:23 pm  #11

Interesting, looks like some got the FOX feed and others didn't. I have Rogers (Ignite TV) and the CTV feed was substituted over the FOX feed.

February 3, 2020 4:26 pm  #12

I'm not on Ignite but I am on Rogers, and I found that the CTV feed was substituted on FOX as well.

February 3, 2020 4:50 pm  #13

I'm on ignite and the feeds were substituted.

My understanding is that broadcasters have to request simsub from the BDU.  In the case shaw, it might be a matter of the broadcaster simply not making the request.  According to the wiki page, Global does simsub on shaw.  I don't know what the mechanism is for requesting simsub, but I would imagine that Shaw, Bell, and Rogers would have some kind of standing order that their properties always substitute American programming while competitors need to request it.

February 3, 2020 9:24 pm  #14

They did have a lot of new commercials on the broadcast last night for the game, but I am always surprised by the amount of promo on CTV/TSN during the Super Bowl. I know they set aside a certain amount of time because of the huge audience, but there sure seemed to be a lot of free stuff for CTV, Crave, TSN etc. At least most of the promos were new as well.

Speaking of huge audiences, back to simsub last night worked for CTV/TSN with estimated 7.84 million watching the game. This is a big jump from the 4.3 million last year.  Add in RDS and the number bumps up to 9.5 million total viewers across Canada. The Mask Singer which premiered the 4th season last night after the game came in with 1.66 million viewers.  Bill Brioux had these numbers in a tweet.

Stateside ratings for FOX were up 1.4% from the CBS broadcast last year with about 100 million viewers and a total of 102 million if you include FOX Deportes and streaming platforms.  The Masked Singer did better on FOX with 23 million viewers.