sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 29, 2020 7:32 pm  #1

CKNT

Wonder if CKNT remembered to switch power at sunset ... it's 6:31 pm and they're still on top of 960 up in the Kawarthas...

January 30, 2020 1:35 pm  #2

Re: CKNT

As power/pattern changes are automated, I'm guessing they may have a technical issue that caused it not to change, vs just forgetting.   There is no human pressing a button 99% of the time  

January 30, 2020 2:37 pm  #3

I meant that euphemistically, but you're right.

Had a North Carolina station on 630 a few minutes past sunset last night that certainly hadn't powered down to 57 watts the way it was cutting into CFCO Chatham. A DXer in London heard it a few hours later and that's much closer to Chatham than I am. That's the first time I've ever heard it, and I've been at this for over 40 years. OTOH there's stations like 1110 in Petoskey Michigan which seem to make it in well here all night pretty every night  even though it should be 10 watts. Some station owners/managers may not care. (A few of us have noted this happens a lot on Friday nights during US high-school football season). Other times it's technical glitches switching over. Other times stations receive temporary FCC approval while dealing with tech issues. There are also occasional times US DXers notice Canadian stations seeming to be way easier to hear than usual and attribute it to the transmitter.

January 30, 2020 4:57 pm  #4

When CKNT in the night is on its proper night time power, its barely audible in the west end of Etobicoke near the airport in a car.  

January 30, 2020 5:23 pm  #5

Sometimes when a station is unusually weak right close-by it has been noted as better than average well outside its range. I think that was the case in December with KTWO 1030, a 50,000 watter in Casper Wyoming. I noticed the signal edging into WBZ Boston, and alerted other DXers. It was even heard on the US east coast. But if I recall correctly, one or more DXers within listening range noted it weaker than usual. Something was awry with the transmitter - which has since been fixed. This happens from time to time. I welcome any antenna experts to chime in...