sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 29, 2020 9:58 pm  #1

CFRB's Jim Richards Has On-Air Breakdown On Bell Let's Talk Day

He cries openly and at one point is unable to speak when trying to relate how hard it was to tell his parents about his own struggles with depression. Painful to listen to but very honest.  

Jim Richards on battling depression 

January 29, 2020 10:14 pm  #2

Re: CFRB's Jim Richards Has On-Air Breakdown On Bell Let's Talk Day

It's certainly honest. Instead of asking someone else the proverbial journalistic "How do you feel?" (which I loathe unless it's done very naturally and thoughtfully in precisely the right circumstances), he's voluntarily baring his own soul. That must take tremendous inner strength. Any radio exec who's considering cutting talent should give this a listen...

January 30, 2020 1:26 am  #3

I just heard something I never thought I would. One radio host devoted an entire two hours of his show to Bell Let's Talk Day. What's unusual about that? It wasn't on a Bell Media station. Instead, Corus', Charles Adler spent the time talking about mental health, noting repeatedly it was "Let's Talk Day" and never once using the word "Bell."

It's not often you hear a competitor so completely steal another organization's promotion, but on Wednesday night, Adler did just that.

January 30, 2020 1:58 am  #4

If Charles said "Let's Talk Day" he really wasn't stealing. I am sure most of his listeners knew what he was referring to. And giving the topic two hours is really an endorsement of what a competitor is doing.  CBC also had a news report on mental health today and they did refer to Bell Let's Talk Day, and showed the logo. 

Whether you want to consider this as being sincere or just a promotion, I give credit where credit is due. Bell has made mental health top of mind for many more people and something that is now at least talked about. Just talking or giving people the confidence to talk about mental health makes the world of difference to many.  Also give Bell credit for the concerts and promotion for We Day and getting young people interested and engaged in the world around them.

I have my issues with Bell believe me, but regardless I give them full marks for Bell Let's Talk Day and using their influence and many media platforms for a good cause. If they get positive coverage from competing media, then good for them and good on the competitors too.

Last edited by paterson1 (January 30, 2020 2:02 am)