sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 20, 2019 11:38 pm  #1

CN Tower FM transmiters

Noticed the FM stations using auxiliary powers in the wee hours Tuesday morning. This time I was in Toronto. Signals seemed ever so slightly weak downtown, and no IBOC digital sideband on the Tower stations noted. So I drove to the Scarborough Bluffs for a quick check.

I was surprised how well the signals held out there. Nothing was really getting too badly beaten up. Though I was easily able to work adjacent channels (eg., 107.3 had a Buffalo translator for the 1400 AM RnB station there). Also, six of the eight stations still had RDS systems working - CHFI and CJRT did not.

So I'm curious to know what power the stations' auxiliaries run at? Do they all broadcast from off-site - I'm presuming First Canadian Place? Have the auxiliaries upped their power in recent days? At my DX site north of Lindsay last week, only 99.9, 104.5 and 100.7 made it with relative ease. I had to work hard to get the other five to come in at all. When I last noted the CN Tower off, I vaguely recall CHUM being the only one to carry a truly decent auxiliary signal and some didn't have them at all.

August 21, 2019 11:12 am  #2

Re: CN Tower FM transmiters

The last time the tower was off for any transmission of signals was when there was a smoldering fire in the mast in August 2017.  It may be now running on low power or off in the morning hours due to renewing the radome upper mast, and so I assume it prevents the workers from getting killed by RF.

I couldnt imagine hanging up there. 

January 28, 2020 1:46 pm  #3

Re: CN Tower FM transmiters

old thread but noticed something this weekend - was in Muskoka (Honey Harbour area) and CJRT Jazz FM came in decently clear enough to drive around and listen to up there.  No other CN Tower station would be audible when tuning them in (including CHFI which is apparently the strongest).

Any reason why based on CJRT coming from the same source however coming in clear?