sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 24, 2020 9:06 pm  #1

Oh, Oh, This Could Get Nasty

Looks like the federal government will be chatting later this year with the world's information web giants.  I hope the government has some talented sales people on staff....

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-heritage-minister-steven-guilbeault-tells-web-giants-its-better-to-be/

January 25, 2020 9:28 am  #2

Re: Oh, Oh, This Could Get Nasty

Fantastic! An environmental nutbar is going to tell me that I WILL like and listen to music performed by Canadian artists via Spotify. Look, I get what the government is trying to do. They want to make music by Canadian artists more available to listeners. I don't have a problem with that. Create a section for Canadian Country/Pop musicians. Hi-lite new releases by Canadian artists. Make it easier for listeners to find the product. That's it. You're done now!  It is now up to the consumer to choose the music he or she wants to hear. If it is not by a Canadian artist, too bad, so sad. Nobody said life was fair. Unfortunately, the federal government won't take a logical approach to the problem. I can see it now. When I choose to shuffle play a number of Led Zeppelin songs on Spotify, I will be forced to hear a selection from the latest Arcade Fire album before I can listen to my choice.

January 25, 2020 11:16 am  #3

paterson1 wrote:

I hope the government has some talented sales people on staff 

Many have been hoping this for years

January 25, 2020 12:59 pm  #4

The genie is long out of the bottle.

I've got an SD card full of _my_ favourite songs plugged into my (8 year old) car's radio.  Yes, there is Canadian music there, but that's not why it's there.  I'd like to see how the regulators are going to handle that one.

The industry has certainly benefited from cancon regs in the early days but now it's quite mature enough to stand on its own.  (I actually like "Sweet City Woman" but I'm weird that way)  By forcing it down one's throat, you're just making people turn away from it.

Last edited by Peter the K (January 25, 2020 1:21 pm)