sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 22, 2020 4:54 pm  #1

Edge 102 morning show...

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

January 23, 2020 7:24 am  #2

Re: Edge 102 morning show...

Rick Lee, (Edge 102 Program manager) is doing mornings for now, but for how long? Who knows? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 23, 2020 10:13 am  #3

for the last decade, maybe longer, the 102.1 morning show is like that awkward storefront space some neighbourhoods have, where there's a continuous rotation of bright shiny new businesses that fail to successfully gain a long-term popular toehold in the community.

if you were looking for a radio gig, would you want to "move" to 102.1? 🤔

January 23, 2020 10:34 am  #4

betaylored wrote:

Apparently, someone would. I heard Humble & Fred on Funny 820  this morning (half) jokingly talk about calling the CFNY P.D. and asking if they can get their old morning gig back.

Of course, if anyone from Corus was listening, they would have heard them trashing the station and its management, so I would say their chances of landing the job aren't too good! 

January 23, 2020 2:01 pm  #5

kman wrote:

Jay Brody (from Hamilton) .

January 24, 2020 2:08 am  #6

RadioActive wrote:

betaylored wrote:

Apparently, someone would. I heard Humble & Fred on Funny 820  this morning (half) jokingly talk about calling the CFNY P.D. and asking if they can get their old morning gig back.

Of course, if anyone from Corus was listening, they would have heard them trashing the station and its management, so I would say their chances of landing the job aren't too good! 

Never mind the fact that they could be the grandparents of the demo.  I'm surprised no one has mentioned Jessie and Gene. I've heard rumours the new host may come from Kingston.

Last edited by Prod Guy (January 24, 2020 2:11 am)

January 24, 2020 3:46 am  #7

Prod Guy wrote:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Jessie and Gene. I've heard rumours the new host may come from Kingston.

Jesse and Gene will never get back together. 
Jesse and friends is the closest I think it could get in 2020, with some casual call ins from Gene to merely say hello.
(if at all, ever)

January 24, 2020 8:46 am  #8

Only there one year. Did not give them much time to build. Both came from successful ( and separate) gigs out west and now they are out on the street. Tough.

January 24, 2020 5:12 pm  #9

Storm wrote:

Only there one year. Did not give them much time to build. Both came from successful ( and separate) gigs out west and now they are out on the street. Tough.

Sounds tough, but they knew what they were getting into. Most likely a one year contract. 
If I were them I'd stick together and go bug CBC Television...their videos are pretty good!!

January 27, 2020 1:45 pm  #10

The whole station is somewhat forgotten about and lately been advertising quite a bit in commercials and billboards.  

January 27, 2020 2:22 pm  #11

markow202 wrote:

The whole station is somewhat forgotten about and lately been advertising quite a bit in commercials and billboards.  

Billboard ads heavily advertised the sister/brother morning show combo as was. It didn't work, I guess.

Gotta love their current TV ads.
Deliberately setting the radio dial at 92.6 and 99.8 instead of the "proper" setting.
Extremely funny attack ads. When did they drop the word rock? 

"Alternative Toronto"

...and then there's this ad.
WOW! Talk about everyone having some edge in them eh? 

Last edited by Radiowiz (January 27, 2020 2:40 pm)

January 27, 2020 10:17 pm  #12

Radiowiz wrote:

markow202 wrote:

Extremely funny attack ads. When did they drop the word rock? 

"Alternative Toronto"

"Rock" hasn't been in their imaging for quite some time. Until a few months ago they were "Toronto's alternative". Somehow they feel switching those words around makes for a catchier hook. If what they're doing now isn't working well enough it's probably time for a complete revamp of the marketing strategy. That might include picking a morning team and sticking with it  longer. The rapidly revolving door concept prevents any one team from making any kind of impression on listeners.

January 28, 2020 12:01 am  #13

Lipstick on the pig, deck chairs on the Titanic. CFNY has been irrelevant for so long now it's a wonder they still try.

January 28, 2020 2:24 am  #14

I am sure you will not be overly happy I am posting this...........BUT 

cfNY has had a new home for over 5 years now - and it's quite successful....:-) 

NYTheSpirit.com 

AND - the first 3 folks who send me an email - I will send you a special 6 month complimentary subscription. Come hear it for yourself. 

david.marsden@nythespirit.com - subject line "I Want To Hear It" comp goes to the first 3 if you are interested. DJs such as: All Nite Andre - Ivar Hamilton - and from Australia - Brad McNally plus more.

January 29, 2020 1:24 pm  #15

In fairness - I should have posted this earlier. 

The 3 complimentary subscriptions were gone within a few hours. Perhaps I will do this again. Thanks for letting me post this and we're delighted to be doing what we do.....

January 29, 2020 1:34 pm  #16

Congratulations on the site Mr. Marsden. It shows there is life after radio - even if it involves still being on the radio!