sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 22, 2020 8:21 pm  #2

Re: The National

For those without a subscription to the Globe & Mail, you can read the story here.

January 22, 2020 10:13 pm  #3

I know there are lots of comments and thoughts about CBC's supposed left leaning news bias and actual content, and all of that is a big factor no doubt. 

Their news package to me has too much in depth backgrounder, or inside the story content at the top of the broadcast. This is likely not what most people want when they tune in.  Please, just do the news first, and then later in the show get into the "in depth" or behind the story content.

Also they have too many "social issue" stories at the top of newscasts.  Wrong place for this. The news of the day should always be first in the broadcast.  Later in the hour they should also lighten things up occasionally and present a more human side rather than dwelling on the "unfairness of society" so much.

People grow tired of being somewhat lectured to, and constantly told they need to be more this or that. CBC is not the only offender here, but they do tend to make things a "learning moment" more than others.

Also, I hate to say it, but the hockey playoffs hurt the National a lot on the main network. For three months every year, the newscasts are moved, interrupted, shortened and chopped up and like it or not this is not the way to build an audience. True, those that have the channel can go to CBC News Network but once a habit is broken with many viewers, it is really hard to get them back when they get used to watching something else. 

Dropping the 4 hosts is a good idea, but just a start. CBC does a lot of good reporting and they do break a lot of important stories, hopefully they can turn their signature newscast around.

Last edited by paterson1 (January 22, 2020 10:22 pm)

January 22, 2020 10:27 pm  #4

paterson1 wrote:

Their news package to me has too much in depth backgrounder, or inside the story content at the top of the broadcast. This is likely not what most people want when they tune in.  Please, just do the news first, and then later in the show get into the "in depth" or behind the story content.

Also they have too many "social issue" stories at the top of newscasts.  Wrong place for this. The news of the day should always be first in the broadcast.

I could not agree more with these two points. While they fuss about the number of anchors, and whether they should be standing or sitting, the entire structure of the show is wrong.

Five minutes off the top about one person who's been wronged (and more often than not I agree with them) is pretty much a guarantee that the rest of the show won't been seen.

I always thought they had it right with The National/The Journal split.

January 23, 2020 9:18 am  #5

Gee 690,000 viewers. I wonder how that compares to the Bull/ Good Doctor/Chicago PD/SVU etc being offered by CTV/Global/CITY in the 10pm slot.

January 23, 2020 10:12 am  #6

The National could be / should be "trimmed" to a thirty minute presentation.  Drop the panels...  And you know its a slow news Thursday, or just a lazy production ethos when The National goes into a five or six minute preview of the upcoming Marketplace feature story of the week.  And at 10:21pm to boot!

Just report/present the news. 

January 23, 2020 10:41 am  #7

Glen Warren wrote:

Just report/present the news. 

A slight change of topic here, but that's the way I feel when I see Anwar Knight doing one of his endless live hits on CTV Toronto every day on their noon news. He's always at some event I don't care about (Wednesday was the riveting Concrete Show, a construction industry event closed to the public), talking to people who aren't very interesting.

Yet he continually labels it as "fascinating," "amazing" and "wonderful." 

Look, I've done TV news for years. I get it. The weather is a flex point in the show and allows a station to show how community oriented they are. But my problem is that it wastes my time, as he goes on and on for 2 1/2 minutes about nothing - and then rushes through the weather at breakneck speed as if it's in the way. In fact, it's the only thing I want to hear about and the reason he works there in the first place. 

When Denise Andreacchi was still there, she'd do the weather first and then explain the rest, which was fine. 

There. I finally got that off my mind. Thanks. Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.  

January 23, 2020 11:53 am  #8

With all its foilbles, I wouldn;t want to see Canada without its public broadcaster.

don't wish to depend solely on the same companies for news that daily confound us with their modus operandi as monopolistic funnels of TV, radio and cellphone signals. I may as well just call into corporate headquarters for the news if the CBC goes.

Agreed on the 'weather', RA.

January 24, 2020 7:25 am  #9

Prime Minister Peter MacKay will deal with this

January 24, 2020 8:57 am  #10

I think Ian Hanomansing should be the lead anchor. Nothing against Andrew Chang. He does a good job, but Ian is a true professional who has a more calming approach. Love Adrienne Arsenault as co-anchor.

They will now have an abundance of political reporters - Rosemary Barton, Catherine Cullen and Vassy Kapelos who I really like on Power And Politics. Interesting she is now up against Evan Solomon who used to host the CBC political show. 

January 24, 2020 12:08 pm  #11

paterson1 wrote:

I know there are lots of comments and thoughts about CBC's supposed left leaning news bias and actual content, and all of that is a big factor no doubt. 

Also they have too many "social issue" stories at the top of newscasts.  Wrong place for this. The news of the day should always be first in the broadcast.  Later in the hour they should also lighten things up occasionally and present a more human side rather than dwelling on the "unfairness of society" so much.

People grow tired of being somewhat lectured to, and constantly told they need to be more this or that. CBC is not the only offender here, but they do tend to make things a "learning moment" more than others.

Also, I hate to say it, but the hockey playoffs hurt the National a lot on the main network. For three months every year, the newscasts are moved, interrupted, shortened and chopped up and like it or not this is not the way to build an audience. True, those that have the channel can go to CBC News Network but once a habit is broken with many viewers, it is really hard to get them back when they get used to watching something else. 

Dropping the 4 hosts is a good idea, but just a start. CBC does a lot of good reporting and they do break a lot of important stories, hopefully they can turn their signature newscast around.

You make some very good points here Mr. Paterson. All I would add is that I'd like to see Ian Hanomansing get the National full-time, Monday-to-Friday. He's a good broadcaster and I for one would welcome the consistency of the same anchor every weeknight.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 24, 2020 12:59 pm  #12

Peter and Lloyd were usually just Monday-Thursday by the end of their careers.