sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 12, 2020 7:39 pm  #1

Murdoch Mysteries 200th Episode This Week

Canada's favourite homegrown drama celebrates it's 200th episode tomorrow evening on CBC. Murdoch Mysteries is an international hit shown in 120 countries.  The only country where the program hasn't clicked is in the US, where up until now, has been known as The Artful Detective. However in season 13 on Ovation TV in the US the program will be known as Murdoch Mysteries as it has been everywhere else.

On CBC, Murdoch averages about 1.1 million viewers per week. Set in turn of the century Toronto, and shot in various locations in Southern Ontario, Murdoch Mysteries is very popular throughout Europe, with Britain and France being two of the most popular markets. 

Originally a CHUM/Bravo initiative with three TV movies back in 2004/05, Murdoch became a weekly series in 2008 on Citytv.  Rogers/City broadcast the program until August 2012. Without missing a season CBC picked up the program for the fall 2013 schedule. Murdoch Mysteries is now in it's 13th season.

However the longest running Canadian drama is the family oriented Heartland with 217 episodes and is currently shown in over 100 countries worldwide. Not quite as popular as Murdoch Mysteries, Heartland averages about 900,000 viewers per week on CBC.

January 13, 2020 9:05 am  #2

Re: Murdoch Mysteries 200th Episode This Week

I assume you mean longest running Canadian drama still in production. The Beachcombers amassed 387 episodes in its 1972-90 run on CBC. I believe the "Degrassi" series of shows topped the 400 mark.

January 13, 2020 10:49 am  #3

Re: Murdoch Mysteries 200th Episode This Week

Yes you are correct, both The Beachcombers and Degrassi were longer running dramatic series. I should have said longest running hour long dramas. Sort of wonder if this will be the last year for Heartland since only 10 new shows were  produced this season. That show doesn't get a lot of press or recognition but it has been a solid series for CBC on Sunday evenings and has been popular in other countries where it has run for years. 

Murdoch isn't showing many signs of slowing down and remains popular everywhere except, as I mentioned before, in the US, where it has never enjoyed as much success as other markets. Why the show was called the Artful Detective is strange, however apparently it is now or will be run soon as Murdoch Mysteries in the US on the Ovation Channel.