sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 12, 2020 11:08 am  #1

Why Was 680 On 1310 Sunday Morning?

I woke up very early this morning and turned on 680 News to get a weather update after yesterday's ridiculous relentless rain. This would have been around 6 AM or so. I was surprised to hear the newscaster mention that 680 News was being simulcast on 1310 News in Ottawa, also owned by Rogers.

Is this a regular thing they do on the weekends to save money? Or was it a one-off because of some technical issue at the local station? I can't imagine how much the people in the nation's capital appreciate hearing about an accident at Yonge & St. Clair or what's going on in Caledon. 

I checked 570 News and they appeared to be coming out of Kitchener as usual. But if you're going to commit to doing an expensive all-news format, you can't simply give everyone the morning off and take a local feed from a station hundreds of kilometres away. 

I'm curious if this is something they do regularly or if this was just some weird anomaly.  

January 12, 2020 12:09 pm  #2

Re: Why Was 680 On 1310 Sunday Morning?

Ever consider that they may be simulcasting because of the storm?

January 12, 2020 12:28 pm  #3

That makes no sense because conditions in Ottawa aren't the same as in Toronto. 680's coverage of the storm concerned only local Toronto traffic effects, along with a GTA forecast. No mention was made of anything in the nation's capital. 

Plus, they weren't giving any conditions on Ottawa roads or clean-up efforts there. Whatever the reason, it was a disservice to the CKOY audience, unless there was some technical cause for it. 

January 12, 2020 12:49 pm  #4

I also wondered ... it seemed odd ...

January 12, 2020 1:48 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

That makes no sense because conditions in Ottawa aren't the same as in Toronto. 680's coverage of the storm concerned only local Toronto traffic effects, along with a GTA forecast. No mention was made of anything in the nation's capital. 

Plus, they weren't giving any conditions on Ottawa roads or clean-up efforts there. Whatever the reason, it was a disservice to the CKOY audience, unless there was some technical cause for it. 

In that case, yeah, that’s very strange.

January 12, 2020 5:32 pm  #6

It's not regular programming, so it's not to save money. I'd go with technical. They'd normally be on CBS Sports Radio at that time. Ice on the satellite?

(FWIW, 1310 hasn't been CKOY in over 30 years. CIWW since then)

January 12, 2020 5:55 pm  #7

RadioAaron wrote:

It's not regular programming, so it's not to save money. I'd go with technical. They'd normally be on CBS Sports Radio at that time. Ice on the satellite?

In that case maybe that was acheap way to divert from sports and report on the weather without actually using local resources. Did this last the entire storm's duration? Did they just do this overnight and morph into local storm coverage later when more people are awake?

January 12, 2020 6:01 pm  #8

They don't do live/local shows on weekends at all. It hasn't been a 680-style newswheel in at least a few years. It doesn't sound like the 680 coverage was at all useful in Ottawa, so I'm going with it was the only thing they could get on the air at the time, possibly even automatically triggered, as there would not be anyone in that building at that time.

January 13, 2020 3:02 am  #9

RadioActive wrote:

I woke up very early this morning and turned on 680 News to get a weather update after yesterday's ridiculous relentless rain. This would have been around 6 AM or so. I was surprised to hear the newscaster mention that 680 News was being simulcast on 1310 News in Ottawa, also owned by Rogers.

Is this a regular thing they do on the weekends to save money? Or was it a one-off because of some technical issue at the local station? I can't imagine how much the people in the nation's capital appreciate hearing about an accident at Yonge & St. Clair or what's going on in Caledon. 

I checked 570 News and they appeared to be coming out of Kitchener as usual. But if you're going to commit to doing an expensive all-news format, you can't simply give everyone the morning off and take a local feed from a station hundreds of kilometres away. 

I'm curious if this is something they do regularly or if this was just some weird anomaly.  

Are you sure it was 6 am?  1310 was retweeting 680 at the time of the Pickering alert.  Maybe they did the same thing on air?

January 13, 2020 7:21 am  #10

680 was simulcasting on 1310 because of the storm yes. They were also heard on 570 in Kitchener up til 6 am when Kitchener's local morning news run started.

January 13, 2020 7:35 am  #11

TheWiz wrote:

680 was simulcasting on 1310 because of the storm yes. They were also heard on 570 in Kitchener up til 6 am when Kitchener's local morning news run started.

& The Wiz and I have no relation to each other.   

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.