sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 8, 2020 12:29 pm  #1

Hockey Canada and TSN/RDS Sign Deal

Hockey Canada and TSN/RDS have agreed to a long term media rights deal through until 2033/34.  The agreement includes the IIHF World Junior Hockey Championships.  Monday's final in the most recent World Junior Hockey Championship with the Canadian Juniors against Russia netted TSN over 4 million viewers.

Details on the agreement from Broadcast Dialogue-

https://broadcastdialogue.com/tsn-rds-secure-hockey-canada-broadcast-rights-through-2033-34/

January 8, 2020 12:40 pm  #2

Re: Hockey Canada and TSN/RDS Sign Deal

Once again, Bell gets exclusive rights to something else.  Because of this, I will no longer be following the WJHC or any Hockey Canada event that is part of Bell's rights deal. Screw Hockey Canada and most importantly, screw Bell.

January 8, 2020 12:41 pm  #3

They do a good job with the World juniors. Sunday not Monday btw. 

January 8, 2020 12:43 pm  #4

Forward Power wrote:

Once again, Bell gets exclusive rights to something else. Because of this, I will no longer be following the WJHC or any Hockey Canada event that is part of Bell's rights deal. Screw Hockey Canada and most importantly, screw Bell.

So you haven't watch the World Juniors in years??

January 8, 2020 12:49 pm  #5

As long as Bell has owned TSN and RDS, I have not watched the World Juniors, and I am urging my wife and her father to stop watching the tournament until somebody other than Bell or Rogers gets the rights.

January 8, 2020 2:11 pm  #6

Forward Power wrote:

As long as Bell has owned TSN and RDS, I have not watched the World Juniors, and I am urging my wife and her father to stop watching the tournament until somebody other than Bell or Rogers gets the rights.

So why the big snit about Bell and Rogers regarding hockey? Somebody has to do it. Would you be happier with CBC? And why would that be better?

January 8, 2020 3:00 pm  #7

Why take it out on the young athletes? Have you otherwise fully scrubbed Bell and Rogers from your life?

January 8, 2020 3:40 pm  #8

3 people not watching Bell won't hurt them.  Has to be some major underlying cause.

January 8, 2020 5:41 pm  #9

After Canada's victory in Sunday's tournament and "camera gate" Russian television gets even with TSN.. 

https://twitter.com/i/status/1214635094859603968

Last edited by paterson1 (January 8, 2020 5:42 pm)

January 8, 2020 7:36 pm  #10

Saul wrote:

Why take it out on the young athletes? Have you otherwise fully scrubbed Bell and Rogers from your life?

Because those young athletes are partnering with a greedy, selfish, heartless, good for nothing conglomerate (Bell) that expects everything to be an exclusive deal in their (Bell's) favour.

As a matter of fact, I have fully scrubbed Bell and Rogers from my life - I have removed all Bell and Rogers channels from my Cogeco cable box's guide (and nobody can access those channels without the "parental controls" code), our Internet and home phone are also with Cogeco, and our cell phones are with Videotron.

I would be more than happy to see the CBC partnering with Hockey Canada, or with streaming taking over, even having DAZN pick up Hockey Canada stuff would be nice.

January 8, 2020 8:31 pm  #11

So you don't watch any hockey?

January 8, 2020 9:21 pm  #12

Forward Power wrote:

Saul wrote:

Because those young athletes are partnering with a greedy, selfish, heartless, good for nothing conglomerate (Bell) that expects everything to be an exclusive deal in their (Bell's) favour.

As a matter of fact, I have fully scrubbed Bell and Rogers from my life - I have removed all Bell and Rogers channels from my Cogeco cable box's guide (and nobody can access those channels without the "parental controls" code), our Internet and home phone are also with Cogeco, and our cell phones are with Videotron.

I would be more than happy to see the CBC partnering with Hockey Canada, or with streaming taking over, even having DAZN pick up Hockey Canada stuff would be nice.

I don't think the young athletes are partnering with anyone, they are playing hockey. The players are not the ones who negotiate the broadcast rights.  Streaming taking over is unlikely, and if CBC had negotiated the rights they would probably want an exclusive deal too, and certainly would for the World Junior Tournament.  So not really sure what difference it makes. As cash mentioned, TSN does a good job of the World Juniors, and the final was a great, exciting game.

Last edited by paterson1 (January 8, 2020 9:22 pm)

January 9, 2020 10:51 am  #13

i'm thinking, the only person/people suffering from your boycott is you. why do that to yourself? do you still receive tsn or have you bailed out of cable? that would be the "noble" thing to do... i guess.