sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 3, 2020 9:13 pm  #1

This is an interesting look at the Australian Fires...on CKDO Radio

Terry Johnston is a fabulous underrated morning show host on CKDO in Oshawa/Durham Region and a real "Community" guy. He speaks to his brother Sean who is based in Darwin Australia  on today's morning show...Sean Johnston lives in Australia now...this morning Terry get's a more realistic perspective on the brush fires that are wreaking havoc right now in the country. 

The news media may over do it in their reporting, but this is more realistic view...

Here is the Sound Cloud audio interview 

https://soundcloud.com/user-973020922-799132117/terry-johnstons-brother-sean-live-from-darwin-australia?fbclid=IwAR3zsb_D196ugiN7OmjNuhdsXLLPtQqpXlfP8rfTcXvc474yg727JhzkLVQ

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (January 3, 2020 9:15 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

January 3, 2020 11:25 pm  #2

Re: This is an interesting look at the Australian Fires...on CKDO Radio

Good interview, and you are right a more realistic view of someone who would know first hand. That map of Australia is worrisome, looks like an awful lot of the arable land and major cities are really threatened by the fires.  Most of central Australia is not suitable for farming, and a difficult area to actually live in.

Too bad CKDO doesn't do better in the ratings, classic/oldies on FM is not that common.  The AM is clear channel and FM 107.7 is very low power.  Does the FM reach any of Toronto, maybe the east end or does Q107 interfere?

Going to tune into to Terry sometime, you are right he does sound like a good morning host. I listen to the Beach Party with Daryl Maclean occasionally and he really plays a good variety of gold/oldies on his show, and interesting phone work with listeners.  

January 4, 2020 5:55 am  #3

paterson1 wrote:

Too bad CKDO doesn't do better in the ratings, classic/oldies on FM is not that common.  The AM is clear channel and FM 107.7 is very low power.  Does the FM reach any of Toronto, maybe the east end or does Q107 interfere?

While riding on a Via train from Oshawa area into Toronto, Hamilton likes to kick in @ 107.9 and block 107.7 out as the train heads closer to Scarborough. (listening on an older walkman radio) 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 4, 2020 9:40 am  #4

terry's a good guy and yes, he is very community minded.

January 4, 2020 9:50 am  #5

In the west end, if 107.9 doesn't wipe out the signal, you are far more likely to receive WLKK in Wethersfield, N.Y. That station must hold a record for call letter changes. They have had nine. Probably just as many format changes as well.

January 4, 2020 12:34 pm  #6

We can receive CKDO on the AM band in the east end of Toronto quite clearly.  Their FM signal peters out around Pickering.  I would love to see owner Doug Kirk get permission to flip the station entirely to their FM signal only and increase the signal.  Durham Radio is a great company.  I know employees there and they are all very happy to work for Doug Kirk.  As I've said many times before; it's great to work for a family owned radio business.  Nothing like it.

Last edited by John D (January 4, 2020 6:37 pm)

January 5, 2020 1:22 pm  #7

John D wrote:

We can receive CKDO on the AM band in the east end of Toronto quite clearly.  Their FM signal peters out around Pickering.  I would love to see owner Doug Kirk get permission to flip the station entirely to their FM signal only and increase the signal. 

I too will often tune them in when heading through the area. Their music mix is quite varied and seems to be quite wide. I believe CKDO's playlist is also a template for the Caledonia operation. 
As for power increasing on 107.7, they received one about ten years ago which improved their footprint but they are limited by having to protect 107.7 in Buffalo and 107.9 in Hamilton. The other important thing to note is the main licence is for the AM with the FM as a repeater so until the CRTC ownership rules change (ie. allowing more than 2 stations on FM in the same market) this situation will remain. 
At least where the FM peters out, 1580 AM  can still be heard for quite a way and, being a rare case of an omni directional AM, keeps most of its coverage area at night.

January 5, 2020 3:16 pm  #8

CKDO is also available on HD at 95.9 FM with a stereo signal.

BTW the HD feed 4 of Virgin 99.9 has changed from holiday music to something called "Pure Country" and Indie 88.1 HD2 now seems to be stunting a few tracks ( Lizzo, Keith Urban) as opposed to just repeating the Indie feed. 

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

January 5, 2020 4:04 pm  #9

Fitz wrote:

BTW the HD feed 4 of Virgin 99.9 has changed from holiday music to something called "Pure Country" and Indie 88.1 HD2 now seems to be stunting a few tracks ( Lizzo, Keith Urban) as opposed to just repeating the Indie feed. 

Which leads to a question I've often wondered. If a licenced Canadian station uses one of its HD channels to broadcast a signal that's not a rebroadcast of its own properties - i.e. original programming - do they have to get a licence and approval from the CRTC? Is the HD newcomer subject to CanCon? 

It hasn't come up often because most stations here haven't been using those extras for anything but a stereo re-broadcaster or just improved-sounding AM signals . But as more move into the area of actually trying to establish what might be seen as de facto separate radio outlets, how are they regulated - or are they regulated at all?

January 5, 2020 7:42 pm  #10

Not regulated at all.

January 5, 2020 8:01 pm  #11

So if what you say is true, theoretically, a station could do anything they wanted on an HD signal without any oversight. Any format. Any music. No CanCon.

Strange that the CRTC, which seems to try to control everything, has no say.  

January 5, 2020 8:04 pm  #12

They're in "Let's see if anything becomes of this" mode with HD. 99.9's Christmas format had about 10% Cancon....the CFRB and CHUM simulcasts would be regulated as specialty formats on FM....Whatever Indie88's doing is 0% Cancon and 0% Emerging. Nevermind the effect on ownsership caps.

There's no "If what I say is true." It's all right there, for anyone (with a newer car) to hear.

Last edited by RadioAaron (January 5, 2020 8:22 pm)

January 5, 2020 9:48 pm  #13

RadioActive wrote:

So if what you say is true, theoretically, a station could do anything they wanted on an HD signal without any oversight. Any format. Any music. No CanCon.

I think it's more of a case of the CRTC leaving this alone since HD signals are more experimental right now.  And let's face it, as interesting as this may be, not many people are aware of these "stations" and even fewer are listening to them.  As Aaron mentioned sort of a let's see if this actually gets any popularity or traction in the marketplace first. It may or may not, we will see.

January 6, 2020 2:16 pm  #14

paterson1 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I think it's more of a case of the CRTC leaving this alone since HD signals are more experimental right now.  And let's face it, as interesting as this may be, not many people are aware of these "stations" and even fewer are listening to them.  As Aaron mentioned sort of a let's see if this actually gets any popularity or traction in the marketplace first. It may or may not, we will see.

I think the biggest issue unlike the USA, is unique content needs to be made available on HD for people to care.   As well a push with auto manufactures needs to be made by all radio owners to ensure HD radio is a standard feature in all cars.    I would also mention, a push to make the interfaces easier to use would be a smart move as well.      US markets that have HD, do well on their sub channels, because they promote them, offer unique content and in the USA, most cars have HD in recent models by default.     Just putting a AM station on HD isn't enough OR dumping random content with no promo isn't either.    I think HD has potential to be something if it's done right.   Streaming only works if the cell tower has bandwidth or in the case of emergency has power.  It's not going to be a over night thing, but it can be something if planned correctly.   Not to mention 1 analog and 4 digital stations off one signal is very efficient and quads your revenue potential. 

January 6, 2020 2:22 pm  #15

I like HD radio, even if it's the basic repeating of an AM signal.  Bought a Sangean a while ago to try it out.  Let's just hope they leave it to the broadcasters to figure it out and get it right.. unlike AM Stereo.

January 6, 2020 5:01 pm  #16

radiokid wrote:

US markets that have HD, do well on their sub channels, because they promote them, offer unique content and in the USA, most cars have HD in recent models by default.     

They really don't. I can't think of a single one that's shown up at all in the ratings, and they are encoded. They're basically used for two purposes now: 1) To feed an analog translator and skirting ownership caps, or 2) As iHeart now does, have its most popular iHeart streams "originate" as "radio stations" to lower music royalties on the streams.

You're right though, the US did initially take the right approach and put the content there first, but it never caught on.