sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 1, 2020 11:08 am  #1

680 News Having A Rough Start To 2020

I'm not sure if the B team is working, there's a glitch in the software or whether it's just bad luck, but it hasn't been the best start to the New Year for the staff at 680 News.

I've been listening on and off for the past few hours and I can't recall as many on-air errors as I've heard on NY's Day. Wrong reports, dead air and at 10 AM, they did their top of the hour intro as usual, but instead of going to the traffic stinger, they wound up rerunning the same opening sting that led off the hour seconds earlier. 

At which point, the thing faded out, the proper intro was played and one of the newscasters sighed and said, with a resigned smile in his voice, "What a morning!"

This isn't to make fun of them - quite the opposite. Been there, done that. It's actually worse in TV because there are more people who can get it wrong. But it just seems when a broadcast goes off the rails, it tends to snowball and get worse before it gets better. 

So Happy New Year to the staff at 680. And don't worry about the rough start to 2020. There are only 364 more days to go!

January 1, 2020 1:00 pm  #2

Re: 680 News Having A Rough Start To 2020

RadioActive wrote:

I'm not sure if the B team is working, there's a glitch in the software or whether it's just bad luck, but it hasn't been the best start to the New Year for the staff at 680 News.

I've been listening on and off for the past few hours and I can't recall as many on-air errors as I've heard on NY's Day. Wrong reports, dead air and at 10 AM, they did their top of the hour intro as usual, but instead of going to the traffic stinger, they wound up rerunning the same opening sting that led off the hour seconds earlier. 

At which point, the thing faded out, the proper intro was played and one of the newscasters sighed and said, with a resigned smile in his voice, "What a morning!"

This isn't to make fun of them - quite the opposite. Been there, done that. It's actually worse in TV because there are more people who can get it wrong. But it just seems when a broadcast goes off the rails, it tends to snowball and get worse before it gets better. 

So Happy New Year to the staff at 680. And don't worry about the rough start to 2020. There are only 364 more days to go!

Actually there are 365 more days to go this year.  Hopefully they won't forget February 29.  

January 1, 2020 1:35 pm  #3

Re: 680 News Having A Rough Start To 2020

It was a little rough the other day as well - missed cues, etc
The best most experienced production staff usually has the most seniority when it comes to holiday vacation time. Bound to be some hiccups.