sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 30, 2019 5:04 pm  #1

Tonight is it for the Royal Canadian Air Farce after 46 years

This is from Don Ferguson of Air Farce, I get their emails having been to a few tapings over the years, the show was not that funny the past 2 times I had seen it and it was lacking something, almost since Roger Abbott passed away it seems. He and Don had some magic. 

I commented about the many losses of talent, hosts, shows on the "Sowny News Story of the Year" and this is an example of people you welcomed into your living room to watch or on your car radio on the drive home, that you won't hear from so much anymore...

Here is the note from Don Ferguson about tonight's finale! Celebrating 46 years of the Farce and yes, may the Farce be with you!

[img]https://i.cbc.ca/1.3915167.1483017810!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/original_1180/air-farce-nye-2016-7-party-2.jpg[/img]

Hello Farce Fans! 

It's that time of the year again. Well, almost.  AIR FARCE NEW YEAR'S EVE 2019  is on the air tonight, Monday, December 30 at 8PM (8:30 NT) on CBC, a day earlier than usual. That's right, this year New Year's Eve arrives a day early!

But that's not the only thing that's different about tonight's broadcast - it's also our final show on CBC. We hate to go and we're sad to say goodbye, but after 46 years Royal Canadian Air Farce is taking its final flight. So be sure to watch tonight - it's your last chance to see us!
As usual we'll take a look back at the year's newsworthy people and events, including Justin Trudeau's election minority, Greta Thunberg's climate activism, Boris Johnson and Brexit, Tidying expert Marie Kondo de-clutters Facebook, Jason Kenney's new-look Alberta, Queen Elizabeth face-timing and Jagmeet Singh fund-raising, to name only a few of the things we'll have fun with. 

But because this broadcast is extra special (did I mention it's our final show?) we're also going to look back even further than a year, to favorite sketches from New Year's past and even a quick listen to our radio days. We'll also take a moment to celebrate our dear departed cast members Roger Abbott and John Morgan.

So sit back, relax and enjoy our Air Farce farewell show TONIGHT @ 8PM (8:30 NT) (and set your PVR if you're going out).  You can also catch a repeat viewing on CBC GEM if you miss the live broadcast.

Happy New Year. May the Farce always be with you!
- Don

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (December 30, 2019 5:09 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

December 30, 2019 5:38 pm  #2

Re: Tonight is it for the Royal Canadian Air Farce after 46 years

Speaking of Roger Abbott....he was an acquaintance of mine.

I'm guessing everyone here knows that Roger was Director of Operations at CKGM-AM - Montreal. I don't recall the year but it was a long time ago. This just prior to CKGM-FM becoming a super Progressive station.

It's also when I crossed the hall from AM to FM. When I did that, all the AM folks told me I was making a mistake, saying FM wasn't going anywhere - it was for old ladies. Cars don't even have FM radios - they told me. :-) 

Roger was indeed a creative mind and in addition to that - an incredibly kind and gentle man. Sadly he put on his wings much too soon.

Last edited by Marsden (December 30, 2019 5:39 pm)

December 30, 2019 10:12 pm  #3

Don visited my home studio on Friday for a great retrospective on 46 years of Air Farce.

January 1, 2020 3:22 am  #4

I recorded it and watched it at the proper time December 31st. 
I LOVE how some of the actors pretended to just be finding out DURING the show. lol
Priceless. 
Oh and yes, in protest of the cancellation I fast forwarded through the ads instead of paying attention to them very closely like I normally would. 
(not that anyone actually cares.)
RIP Airfarce You will be greatly missed!!

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.