sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 25, 2019 9:32 pm  #1

B.C. Radio Music Chart Collector Kept 'Em All

This isn't about local radio, per se, but it's still a fascinating story. It's about a B.C. radio nut who fervently collected charts from his favourite Vancouver Top 40 outlets, back when stations still printed them. 

He had hundreds of charts from both CKLG and CFUN and many are displayed in the linked article below. 

I used to collect CHUM Charts and when my sister got married and moved to the U.S., I inherited her collection (which no one else in my family seemed to want.) As a result, I still have a large number of CHUM Charts, although certainly not the whole set. (You can review every one of them from issue #1 in 1957 to the very last one on Doug Thompson's excellent and definitive CHUM Tribute site.) I also have the first year and a half or so of CKFH's Top 30 output. 

I'm not sure what to do with them all, but I like the idea of the guy who wrote an article for the paper on local DJs - take them to a municipal archive, scan them and put them online as part of the city's rapidly disappearing history. 

I cherish my CHUM Charts and I kind of miss the days when you could go to a record store - was it every Wednesday when they came out? - and pick up the latest one.

Vintage music charts provide a blast from the past

December 26, 2019 9:32 am  #2

Re: B.C. Radio Music Chart Collector Kept 'Em All

I also have a CHUM Chart collection that spans 1962-75 including the last of the record store issues from April 75. I even have one of the large record store charts from June 7,1986. I have the CKOC  and CKFH flip format charts from 1970-72, Also some of the CKOC accordian style fold out charts from 1969 and the CKFH  charts from summer 1968 that had no #1 song. Being #2 radio, their chart ran 2 to 36.

December 26, 2019 10:01 am  #3

It appears of the three Top 40 stations in Vancouver, CKLG was the most successful lasting almost 37 consecutive years, 1964-2001. I think there was a brief interruption in 1993 or 94 with an  unsuccessful attempt at a talk format.

December 27, 2019 8:01 pm  #4

Radiowest.ca is a good site for old charts from Western Canada. It is an interesting site with lots of areas to snoop around. The message board isn't normally as active as here but there are a lot of interesting daily features like Chart History, Jingle of the Day, Cancon 45 of the day, Radio Sticker of the Day. 

Scroll down for Airchecks, jingles, music surveys, year end surveys for the west and northwest US. Just noticed that they have that Radio Legend Don Imus has passed away at 79.

December 29, 2019 11:49 pm  #5

I had CHUM charts from August 1957 to August 1967, plus CKEY, CKOC, CHYM and CJOY charts, all of which I threw out just before I got married in 1967. Hindsight is wonderful! After I was married I continued to collect any charts available, including CHUM (in later years only available in the newspaper), CKFH, CFTR, CKOC, CING, CIDC, CKWS (Kingston), CKLC (Kingston) (we lived in Kingston from 1970 to 1973). I also subscribed to RPM magazine, The Record magazine, and another short lived Canadian publication that came after. I didn’t throw any of these out, and moved them with us to our present home, stored in boxes on a mezzanine in our garage. Eventually I decided they were taking up space and I had no use for them but didn’t want to send them to the dump. I contacted Craig Smith about this hoping he might have a suggestion as to what I might do with them. He came right back to me and said he would take them. Unfortunately that never happened due to his declining health and subsequent passing. Afterwards, I forget how (it might have been through Dale Patterson), I was connected with Doug Thompson who took them all for possible use in the Canadian Broadcast Museum in Toronto.