sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 26, 2019 11:22 am  #1

CBC removes Donald Trump's scene from 'Home Alone 2' broadcast: report

Andy McNabb
AndyMcNabb.com

December 26, 2019 11:41 am  #2

Re: CBC removes Donald Trump's scene from 'Home Alone 2' broadcast: report

And if it was left in there would be just as many people complaining about that.

One of our traditions is to watch "White Christmas" on Christmas Eve.  We lost the ability to play media files on our big screen during our recent (well, ok.  4 months ago) move so through all the fault of my own, we got stuck watching courtesy of the CBC.  The film normally runs 120 minutes.  8 minutes were removed to make it fit (with 6 - 4 minute commercial breaks loaded with promos) into the 150 minute schedule window.  To anyone who knows the movie well, the cuts were painful. 

December 26, 2019 1:59 pm  #3

My favourite is "A Christmas Story"  [You'll Shoot Your Eye Out, Kid]

December 26, 2019 6:06 pm  #4

I recall the airing of 'Street Trash'. They removed the 'play football with the severed penis' scene, but amazingly preserved the 'fuck the dead whore's corpse on the beach' scene. Odd how Fox News didn't get sand up their peehoie about that.

December 26, 2019 7:18 pm  #5

mace wrote:

My favourite is "A Christmas Story"  [You'll Shoot Your Eye Out, Kid]

December 26, 2019 9:59 pm  #6

Reviewing the comments at the end the the story; the CBC claims they made the cuts in 2014 after they purchased the rights to the movie. The reason was to accommodate the broadcast time slot. In 2014 Mr. Trump was not as 'controversial' as he is today. Apparently 8 minutes were cut from the movie; scenes other than the Trump one were also eliminated.

If the 2014 story is true one could accept this explanation as a benign act, however I have no way of fact checking the accuracy of CBC's explanation.

I'm pretty skeptical of anything I hear on / from the CBC. In this case I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

December 27, 2019 10:43 am  #7

darcyh wrote:

Reviewing the comments at the end the the story; the CBC claims they made the cuts in 2014 after they purchased the rights to the movie. The reason was to accommodate the broadcast time slot. In 2014 Mr. Trump was not as 'controversial' as he is today. Apparently 8 minutes were cut from the movie; scenes other than the Trump one were also eliminated.

If the 2014 story is true one could accept this explanation as a benign act, however I have no way of fact checking the accuracy of CBC's explanation.

I'm pretty skeptical of anything I hear on / from the CBC. In this case I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

PJ Media is questioning the window on that claim.

So, thus far no evidence it did, or didn't air, minus the DJT cameo, before December 2015, i.e. six months after the initial epidemic of Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Perhaps proof one way or sothe other might surface.

December 27, 2019 6:23 pm  #8

The big thing that CBC has going for it would be the fact that they wouldn't re-edit a movie every year. The only way to prove otherwise would be if someone had a PVR or tape of a CBC airing from years ago that showed Trump in the scene. If they are lying about this, then shame on CBC.

CBC bought the rights in 2014 and they have shown Home Alone 2 around Christmas for the last 4 or 5 years. They would edit the movie prior to the first showing, and the job is done. They did mention that some other scenes that included shots of the World Trade Center were also deleted as were a few others that didn't effect the plot of the movie. Donald's scene edited in or out does not change the story line of the movie.

Fox News is being misleading calling this "censorship".  They do the exact same thing with any theatrical movies shown on their network.  The program needs to time out and  networks have to allow for the commercial breaks. No doubt Fox would have left Donald's scene in.  Back in 2014 or 2015, Donald Trump was not as big a deal and considerably less so in Canada. 

December 27, 2019 6:34 pm  #9

FWIW, I read somewhere this week that if a movie used any of his properties during the shoot, he had to have an appearance in it.

Last edited by potentiometer (December 27, 2019 6:34 pm)

December 27, 2019 8:18 pm  #10

darcyh wrote:

I'm pretty skeptical of anything I hear on / from the CBC.

They won 51 RTDNA awards last year.  How many do you have?  

Last edited by Prod Guy (December 27, 2019 8:35 pm)

December 28, 2019 12:43 am  #11

Prod Guy wrote:

darcyh wrote:

I'm pretty skeptical of anything I hear on / from the CBC.

They won 51 RTDNA awards last year.  How many do you have?  

Would that be classified as "shade" or "burn"? : )) ..