sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 11, 2019 5:50 pm  #1

Canadian Version of Family Feud Debuts Next Monday

Of all the shows that CBC greenlighted for its new season, none raised more interest - or controversy over whether this was truly something the CBC should be doing  - than the Canuck version of Family Feud Canada.

Whatever they do with the Gerry Dee-hosted show, if you're curious to see how it looks, you'll get your chance starting next Monday at 8 PM. I might tune in to the first one out of curiosity, if nothing else, but I doubt it will ever become Must See TV for most of the audience.

Interesting that they're airing it in prime time. 

December 11, 2019 7:43 pm  #2

Re: Canadian Version of Family Feud Debuts Next Monday

With Coronation Street as a lead in,  Family Feud Canada might do ok. Initially, the curiosity factor will supply lots of eyeballs.

December 11, 2019 7:55 pm  #3

I'll bet this is the best rated show on CBC this season after HNIC (which is useless to them since they can't monetize it.) Not sure if this is what the CBC "should be doing", but it's probably a smart move to improve finances.

December 12, 2019 6:17 pm  #4

Game shows in prime time are becoming more common. Gerry Dee should be a good choice as host.  I just hope the show doesn't go overboard like CBC often does and make it "too Canadian." Every question does not need to have a Canadian angle. If they do this, the show will bore the audience and ratings will slide.

I think CBC TV should be slightly more populist or mainstream. Seems to work for their french network Radio Canada which often beats private TVA in the ratings in Quebec. If you look at BBC in the UK, they are not all highbrow programming and are not afraid to feature mainstream comedy, game shows, reality and music. 

John Doyle in the Globe has criticized CBC for having Family Feud on the schedule, saying this is the type of programming the public broadcaster should not be getting into. I disagree, especially since currently no private broadcasters in Canada have even one game show in production. And no CHCH Game Time does not count!  They don't produce the program.

If the privates aren't doing it, should be no issue with CBC filling the gap.

Now if CBC would only produce a late night talk/entertainment show similar to Fallon or Colbert and keep it light and chatty, they would see their ratings improve, and commercial revenues increase.  Or even produce an english version of Radio Canada's hugely popular, Tout le monde en parle- (Everyone's Talking About It). 

Last edited by paterson1 (December 12, 2019 6:19 pm)

December 12, 2019 6:47 pm  #5

paterson1 wrote:

If the privates aren't doing it, should be no issue with CBC filling the gap. 

If my privates aren't doing it, believe you me, the CBC would be the last place I'd trust to fill my gap.

December 16, 2019 7:06 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

Of all the shows that CBC greenlighted for its new season, none raised more interest - or controversy over whether this was truly something the CBC should be doing  - than the Canuck version of Family Feud Canada.

Whatever they do with the Gerry Dee-hosted show, if you're curious to see how it looks, you'll get your chance starting next Monday at 8 PM. I might tune in to the first one out of curiosity, if nothing else, but I doubt it will ever become Must See TV for most of the audience.

Interesting that they're airing it in prime time. 

According to Bill Brioux, the show moves to a scheduled 7:30 pm slot (as in the original CBC announcement) starting Monday, Dec 23.  This will put it up against Jeopardy.

https://brioux.tv/blog/2019/12/16/survey-says-family-feud-canada-comes-better-late-than-never/

Last edited by Media Observer (December 16, 2019 7:08 pm)