sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 9, 2019 7:24 pm  #1

And Ken Shaw's Replacement Is...

Nathan Downer from CP24. He starts his duties on Tuesday. 

December 9, 2019 7:27 pm  #2

Re: And Ken Shaw's Replacement Is...

Don't really know him. Probably because I rarely watch CP24.

December 9, 2019 7:31 pm  #3

Good choice, see him all the time on CP24. Good interviewer and great anchor. He almost never boots a story. He can actually read! Didn't know he was on CP24 so long. How time passes quickly..Nathan and Michelle will make a good duo for CTV news Toronto.

December 9, 2019 7:35 pm  #4

Now if they could just get Tom Brown to tone it down.  He gets annoying with his "enthusiasm."

December 9, 2019 7:42 pm  #5

paterson1 wrote:

Now if they could just get Tom Brown to tone it down.  He gets annoying with his "enthusiasm."

TOOOOOOOOYYY  MOUNNTTAAIINN!!!!

December 9, 2019 7:57 pm  #6

mace wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

I have to say,  I'm torn on this one .

I was watching him on Friday (switched channels tonight after they announced Ken's replacement) and have to admit sharing your sentiments (on more than one night).  On the other hand it's a great charity and everything I've read over the years says that Tom is the "Real Thing" when it comes to  supporting a cause.

Last edited by Media Observer (December 9, 2019 8:16 pm)

December 9, 2019 8:01 pm  #7

OK. I was wrong. I was thinking Nick Dixon for sure.

If you don't know Nathan Downer, here's a testy exchange during an interview with Mike Tyson a few years ago on CP24.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOhdx1TLutw

December 9, 2019 8:26 pm  #8

I thought Dick Nixon - er, sorry - Nick Dixon was also the obvious choice. I'm sure Downer will do fine in the role, one of the few broadcasting positions that - if he catches on - can last for decades.  

December 9, 2019 8:27 pm  #9

Media Observer wrote:

mace wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

I was watching him on Friday (switched channels tonight after they announced Ken's replacement) and have to admit sharing your sentiments (on more than one night).  On the other hand it's a great charity and everything I've read over the years says that Tom is the "Real Thing" when it comes to  supporting a cause.

I don't doubt Tom's sincerity or his dedication at all. I was really referring to his regular weather forecasts. He seems overly animated and excited to me most of the time. Toy Mountain, he just goes into overdrive, and he obviously enjoys getting out of the studio, and absolutely it is a great event every year. 

I really like the TV ads right now for the CP24/CHUM Christmas Wish. Very well done.

December 9, 2019 8:30 pm  #10

Not sure how long this page will remain up now that he's being reassigned, but CP24 provides this bio of Downer, including the fact he began his on-air career as a sports talk show host on, of all places, Flow 93.5. I wasn't aware they did any talk shows. 

Nathan Downer On CP24

December 9, 2019 8:36 pm  #11

paterson1 wrote:

Media Observer wrote:

mace wrote:

I don't doubt Tom's sincerity or his dedication at all. I was really referring to his regular weather forecasts. He seems overly animated and excited to me most of the time. Toy Mountain, he just goes into overdrive, and he obviously enjoys getting out of the studio, and absolutely it is a great event every year. 

I really like the TV ads right now for the CP24/CHUM Christmas Wish. Very well done.

I wonder how much the use of Live remotes adds to the "enthusiasm factor".  A novelty at first.  I often feel now that they would be better off sticking to the studio.

Last edited by Media Observer (December 9, 2019 8:37 pm)

December 9, 2019 9:04 pm  #12

I had to laugh reading the stuff about Tom Brown. My sister was in town two weeks ago from New York City and saw a Tom Brown segment, before the Toy Mountain campaign even got underway.

Her comments were something like, "Boy he doesn't try to hide his enthusiasm, does he?" 

And that was inspired by a simple weather segment!

December 9, 2019 11:27 pm  #13

You can watch the announcement as it happened on the show at the link below:

Nathan Downer announced as new co-anchor of CTV News Toronto

December 10, 2019 12:05 am  #14

I cant stop thinking about the Mike Tyson Downer had a few years back, everytime I see Downer.  Now Downer could use a bit of Tony Brown's enthusiasm when speaking.  Not that much, but a bit more.  

December 10, 2019 9:53 pm  #15

markow202 wrote:

I cant stop thinking about the Mike Tyson Downer had a few years back, everytime I see Downer.  Now Downer could use a bit of Tony Brown's enthusiasm when speaking.  Not that much, but a bit more.  

So, is it fitting that someone named Downer delivers the news? Another one for the "People whose names match their profession" file. 

December 11, 2019 12:52 am  #16

Brad wrote:

OK. I was wrong. I was thinking Nick Dixon for sure.

Radiowiz wrote:

Brad wrote:

We'll find out at noon on Monday. My bets on Nick Dixon.

It is very difficult to doubt you, but Nick is also one of the best reporters CTV currently has. 

I may not have made a guess about who would replace Ken, but I didn't doubt for a second that Nick would remain employed as a reporter...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 12, 2019 2:08 pm  #17

It appears Nathan Downer may not have Michelle Dube as a co-anchor for long. While I rarely watch to the end of CFTO's noon news, I happen to notice a clothing credit at the end of Thursday's show. It indicated Dube's duds were provided by a maternity clothing company, which I can only conclude means she's expecting again.

When the time grows close, she's likely to take a fair amount of time off. So now there's another new question - at some point in the future, who will be her temporary replacement?

It's very unusual for a long established anchor team to have both newsreaders disappear. Still, Dube's absence may be months away, and perhaps Downer will be well established by then - another reason to bring him on now rather than later. 

December 12, 2019 2:15 pm  #18

In this day and age, would it not be possible for Nathan Downer to wear the maternity clothing? We live in wonderous times after all.

December 12, 2019 6:40 pm  #19

RadioActive wrote:

It appears Nathan Downer may not have Michelle Dube as a co-anchor for long. While I rarely watch to the end of CFTO's noon news, I happen to notice a clothing credit at the end of Thursday's show. It indicated Dube's duds were provided by a maternity clothing company, which I can only conclude means she's expecting again. 

She officially announced her pregnancy back on September 20th.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B2oembCAj_F/

I would imagine that either Andrea Case or Zaraidah Alman will step in as they usually do whenever Michelle is sick or on vacation.