sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 8, 2019 7:57 pm  #31

Re: Fall PPMs

geo wrote:

Prod Guy wrote:

The three stations that dominate the discussion on this board get a combined 4.5 share. Is anyone feeling irrelevant? 

Has been roughly eighteen hours since you posted that statistic, and no doubt I'm the only one who didn't "get" it so please advise what are the three (3) radio stations that dominate discussion on this board; am looking fwd to relevancy

1010 +640+740 - 960 = 4.5

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

December 8, 2019 8:29 pm  #32

Prod Guy wrote:

The three stations that dominate the discussion on this board get a combined 4.5 share. Is anyone feeling irrelevant? 

You may be right about that. But there may also be logical reasons why that happens.

Music stations that get the higher numbers are mostly consistent. Other than the occasional firing or hiring of a prominent jock, they really don’t make a lot of news. And hence, they don’t tend to show up in a lot of posts here. Adding the latest Billie Eilish single to a station’s playlist doesn’t exactly make for riveting radio news.

That’s not the case with talk shows. You’re not going to hear dueling live interviews with the Education Minister and the head of a school union calling each other names on CHUM-FM or CHFI. But you very well could – and have – on a CFRB or a 640.

Add to that having hosts who are essentially ad libbing for three hours a shift every day and eventually they’ll say something that will get them into trouble. And that gets posted here.

When John Moore’s father sadly died and he took a long sabbatical to get his head straight, that became a thread of interest here. Same when Jim Richards starting crying uncontrollably on the air over a break-up with his girlfriend. Would you have heard about something similar on Q107 or Kiss 92.5? Probably not. Simply by virtue of the format, they get more attention, even though they may not actually have more listeners.

Plus, many SOWNY-ites listen to talk stations during the day and that naturally guides what they post. 

As for CKNT, that has been such a strange place – taking seven years to launch, choosing an expensive news/talk format for a small Mississauga station, as well as some of the talent working there – and often, just as suddenly, NOT working there - certainly attracts interest here, if only because it’s had such a bizarre beginning from its belated sign-on. I, for one, am grateful Mike Richards is on board here to provide another view of the place. 

Need more proof? A thread entitled only "CKNT" wound up as the most viewed post on the site in all of 2019, with almost 59,000 page views, 195 replies and stretching on to seven pages. Someone was obviously interested in it.  

That said, you’re welcome to post whatever you think is of interest about the music stations you listen to. I just don’t know if there will be the volume of material that the talkers just naturally provide.

December 9, 2019 9:12 am  #33

On FYImusicnews.ca, David Bray takes a look at so-called "continuous measurement," and how that could change the way ratings are taken in small markets.

Continuous Measurement?

December 9, 2019 11:59 am  #34

Slightly off topic but still related to the station thats highest rank....Bell does a great job with the "sound" of 104.5   - it sounds more like a CD rather than a FM station when listening.  The fidelity is amazing.  This goes with Virgin 999 aswell since they are together. 

December 9, 2019 1:46 pm  #35

markow202 wrote:

Slightly off topic but still related to the station thats highest rank....Bell does a great job with the "sound" of 104.5   - it sounds more like a CD rather than a FM station when listening.  The fidelity is amazing.  This goes with Virgin 999 aswell since they are together. 

Not sure if it's still the case, but to my knowledge, CHUM 104-5 use to have their imaging producer have control of the processor settings, and not the Engineering department.     I think it does make a difference.  (No offense to Engineers)   

December 9, 2019 2:32 pm  #36

radiokid wrote:

markow202 wrote:

Not sure if it's still the case, but to my knowledge, CHUM 104-5 use to have their imaging producer have control of the processor settings, and not the Engineering department.     I think it does make a difference.  (No offense to Engineers)   

Lots of listening and adjustments. Chum and Virgin are both owned by Bell, and in the same building but are on different processing chains. Imaging Director has control of processing and can access and make adjustments from any device, when needed. 

December 9, 2019 6:00 pm  #37

SonicArchitect wrote:

radiokid wrote:

markow202 wrote:

Lots of listening and adjustments. Chum and Virgin are both owned by Bell, and in the same building but are on different processing chains. Imaging Director has control of processing and can access and make adjustments from any device, when needed. 

Well it sounds like a darn good processor unit because no other Toronto station has this kind of clarity and fidelity (regardless of the programming).  Signal quality is also at the highest. 

Last edited by markow202 (December 9, 2019 6:01 pm)

December 9, 2019 8:03 pm  #38

SonicArchitect wrote:

radiokid wrote:

markow202 wrote:

As it should be! Good for them.

December 9, 2019 8:14 pm  #39

Mike Richards wrote:

Our circumstance is grossly different from Roundhouse. Not that I need to get into details, but we don't have that kind of overhead. Not a fraction of it. We are now finding a mix between local and agency buys. For example, my title sponsor will be announced 1st day of the New Year. They are National, but manufacture locally. They also have naming rights to the studio itself. I know a number of those that were at Roundhouse. These paths are not the same...There are no preconceived or unreasonable numbers that we need to hit out of the gate to stay alive... If the first Numeris number was a 0,3, it would just be our first number....

...that you see. After over two years of being on the air. 

My point isn't that the station can't be successful, just that entering the ratings will be counter-productive to that. The system is barely adequate for measuring full-coverage signals - it simply isn't going to deliver anything for 960, regardless of the quality of the programming. Not in that format, on AM, with limited resources and with only covering a portion of the market. Experienced advertisers who have or may come on board because they like what you're doing will think twice. 

Last edited by RadioAaron (December 9, 2019 8:15 pm)

December 9, 2019 8:33 pm  #40

RadioActive wrote:

Prod Guy wrote:

You may be right about that. But there may also be logical reasons why that happens.

When John Moore’s father sadly died and he took a long sabbatical to get his head straight, that became a thread of interest here. Same when Jim Richards starting crying uncontrollably on the air over a break-up with his girlfriend. Would you have heard about something similar on Q107 or Kiss 92.5? Probably not..

Yes, you would!! Just not here. Roz and Mocha were in reruns for a month in fall ratings because Mocha and his Wife lost their first child. Mocha's return and the explanation for his absences was some of the most powerful content I've ever heard. 

Ignored here, because we're all generally older men who didn't hear any of it. 

December 9, 2019 8:41 pm  #41

I'm guessing those kinds of things don't happen too often on a music formatted station, but there's more latitude on a free form morning show. 

The example you cite kind of reminds me of this story from a few months ago

December 13, 2019 11:10 am  #42

RadioAaron wrote:

Mike Richards wrote:

As for CKNT (Which calls letters are not used, unless in a CRTC or a legal capacity..) Newstalk Sauga960 will be Numeris in 1 year. I

That is a really bad idea. It's what killed Roundhouse Radio in Vancouver in the end. Sell locally; sell on relationships and goodwill from the community. Registering a 0.3 will end it.

Mike Richards wrote:

Our circumstance is grossly different from Roundhouse. Not that I need to get into details, but we don't have that kind of overhead. Not a fraction of it. We are now finding a mix between local and agency buys. For example, my title sponsor will be announced 1st day of the New Year. They are National, but manufacture locally. They also have naming rights to the studio itself. I know a number of those that were at Roundhouse. These paths are not the same...There are no preconceived or unreasonable numbers that we need to hit out of the gate to stay alive... If the first Numeris number was a 0,3, it would just be our first number....

Sauga 960 is running a promo from Richards that explains they've not only signed a major new national sponsor, but that the company has also purchased naming rights to the studio. So someone is noticing his work. The new entity, whoever it is, will start in the new year. 

December 14, 2019 10:46 pm  #43

RadioActive wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Mike Richards wrote:

As for CKNT (Which calls letters are not used, unless in a CRTC or a legal capacity..) Newstalk Sauga960 will be Numeris in 1 year. I

That is a really bad idea. It's what killed Roundhouse Radio in Vancouver in the end. Sell locally; sell on relationships and goodwill from the community. Registering a 0.3 will end it.

Mike Richards wrote:

Sauga 960 is running a promo from Richards that explains they've not only signed a major new national sponsor, but that the company has also purchased naming rights to the studio. So someone is noticing his work. The new entity, whoever it is, will start in the new year. 

That's great! Don't wreck it by joining Numeris.

December 14, 2019 11:04 pm  #44

Sauga 960 should learn from third language stations like CHIN, CJSA, and CJRV. That's how you survive as a business with no ratings.

Look at Elmnt 106.5 - probably $200k in advertising in Toronto...and zilch.