sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 4, 2019 8:31 pm  #1

Fall PPMs

Here you go, 25-54
(Don't read too much into Jewel 88.5, there were some huge anomalies with them for a while this go 'round)

CHUM 104.5                    10.8
CBC Radio One                10.8
98.1 CHFI                         9.7
boom 97.3                       8.0
999 Virgin Radio             7.9
Q107                               6.5
KiSS 92.5                          5.5
680 News                         4.8
102.1 The Edge               3.5
INDIE 88.1                        3.3
Z 1035                             3.2
News Talk 1010              2.8
Classical 96.3 FM            2.2
Jewel 88 5                        2.1
FAN590                            1.9
CBC Music                        1.8
JAZZ.FM91                       1.6
ICI Musique                      1.3
GNR 640                          1.2
953 Energy Radio            1.2
 TSN 1050                        1.2
 G98.7                              .8
AM740                             .5
106.5 Elmnt FM             .0

Last edited by RadioAaron (December 4, 2019 8:33 pm)

December 4, 2019 8:50 pm  #2

Re: Fall PPMs

GNR640 tied with an out-of-area station and the lower of two sports stations? How long can they make payroll on such an expensive format?

December 5, 2019 8:14 am  #3

TheConsultant wrote:

GNR640 tied with an out-of-area station and the lower of two sports stations? How long can they make payroll on such an expensive format?

Tax write off. Don't forget, you're also talking about the same company that decided to simply shut down several AM stations, including one out in Cornwall. (to name one)
AM 640 is still on the air, regardless of cost (to run) so maybe it's a tax write off for the company?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 5, 2019 10:24 am  #4

Radiowiz wrote:

TheConsultant wrote:

Tax write off. Don't forget, you're also talking about the same company that decided to simply shut down several AM stations, including one out in Cornwall. (to name one)
AM 640 is still on the air, regardless of cost (to run) so maybe it's a tax write off for the company?

I guess it could be a write off to a certain extent, but I am sure that AM 640 and obviously Zoomer radio do much better 55+. I get the feeling that GNR 640 skews older than Newstalk 1010. Don't know why they aren't a little stronger in the ratings, I think they are a pretty good station. Much prefer Oakley in the afternoon to the Frat Boys on 1010.  Also prefer Kelly Cutrara to angry Jerry too.  John Moore mornings is strong on CFRB so maybe he sets the station up for the rest of the day.

Sounds crazy but in the scheme of things 640 is not that old a station really, and they got into the talk radio game later than most. I think their various format flips and tweaks over the years have hurt them, just haven't been as stable as CFRB/Newstalk 1010. Toronto audiences tend to be fairly loyal to their station, especially talk stations. But even look how long it took CFTR to knock off 1050 CHUM. And this was with a supposed fickle teen, young adult audience.

Last edited by paterson1 (December 5, 2019 10:29 am)

December 5, 2019 11:40 am  #5

CHUM staying on top.

Whats this "anomalie" with Jewel 885?

December 5, 2019 1:24 pm  #6

From Bray and Partners site:

December 5, 2019 2:24 pm  #7

Classical 96.3 a 12.1 rating among women? Obviously, a typo. A 2.1 share seems more likely.

December 5, 2019 2:59 pm  #8

mace wrote:

Classical 96.3 a 12.1 rating among women? Obviously, a typo. A 2.1 share seems more likely.

It's 1.1.  And you win this book's edition of "spot the error in the Bray numbers"

December 5, 2019 3:00 pm  #9

markow202 wrote:

Whats this "anomalie" with Jewel 885?

A couple weeks of a few 20-somethings "listening" hours at a time, every day.

December 5, 2019 3:55 pm  #11

EVERY station claims it's "#1" in some way or another. The Cobourg community station cites, "we're the #1 station with a Kevin in the building three days a week reminiscing about his Burger King days". 🍔🎙️

December 5, 2019 4:11 pm  #12

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised by the lower numbers of the two talkers. The survey came right in the middle of a hotly contested federal election, which not only contained an element of drama about who would win, but scandals like blackface right in the middle of it. Then there was all the drama over the Ford government. 

If those two big ticket items didn't attract more ears to the format, what could?

December 5, 2019 4:20 pm  #13

Maybe the days of dashboard pounding radio in Toronto is coming to a merciful end.

Also, how much does RB having C2C blaring all night influence lower digits for Moore's show and subsequent programming?

As for all the political topics... Methinks 24/7 coverage of election/PoliSci fare is overkill and topic fatigue.

December 5, 2019 4:21 pm  #14

Toronto Sports Media.com notes the difference between the Fan with Bob McCown, and the station without him. (Also the Blue Jays had a terrible year, which didn't help.)

The Post McCown Book with the new Fan 590 lineup crucial ratings is out

December 5, 2019 6:50 pm  #15

How are these calculated?  How is it known that in this case most of toronto is listening to CHUM? Nobody asked me in a survey what I listen to..

December 5, 2019 7:04 pm  #16

"Nobody asked me in a survey what I listen to.."  one of the more common comments from civvies. Along with, "I never listen to that station" when you tell them where you work.

December 5, 2019 8:13 pm  #17

RadioActive wrote:

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised by the lower numbers of the two talkers. The survey came right in the middle of a hotly contested federal election, which not only contained an element of drama about who would win, but scandals like blackface right in the middle of it. Then there was all the drama over the Ford government. 

If those two big ticket items didn't attract more ears to the format, what could?

AM talk radio is not attracting new ears as its audience ages. The American experiment of simulcasting or straight up moving to FM has shown to help, but not enough.

I'm mid 40s, with a keen interest in politics and I have no use for the format. Opinions from a couple of hosts who aren't experts in the topic being discussed? Why would I care? Double that if you introduce a caller. I wear headphones on transit specifically to AVOID that.

Last edited by RadioAaron (December 5, 2019 8:16 pm)

December 5, 2019 9:26 pm  #18

I'm in my late 50s and also have a keen interest in politics, and I have always felt the same way as you about talk radio discussions of politics. I can only imagine how it would be for most young people.

December 5, 2019 10:15 pm  #19

Where is CKNT in this? They have to be beating Chum at least (1050 not 104.5)...

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

December 5, 2019 10:23 pm  #20

CKNT doesn't participate in the ratings. If they did, they would be fighting for share with Elmnt FM.

December 5, 2019 10:45 pm  #21

As for CKNT (Which calls letters are not used, unless in a CRTC or a legal capacity..) Newstalk Sauga960 will be Numeris in 1 year. I have been there for 11 months. It takes years of planning and hard work to even begin to think of results, let alone market share. 960 started in the "Bizzarro World," Now it's not. There is sacrifice that goes into this. I'm sure those with any real capacity in this industry, can understand just how much goes into making things work. Changes, in my experience with start ups, continue until you have found the right "recipe." This will be be an ongoing process...... When I started in Calgary, at TheFAN960, they had dashes....It took 6 and a half years to get to Number #1, 25-54  Mornings. 

December 6, 2019 10:42 am  #22

Interesting to hear John Moore on CFRB Friday morning subtly implying that the ratings at 1010 were up, and things were looking good, especially for AM drive. He also made a mention of "changes" in the market - referring to Matt Galloway's last day as host of Metro Morning and welcoming any CBC listeners to the AM side of life. 

Speaking of Galloway, he said his farewells on his final full show on Thursday, noting he'll still be around later in the morning on The Current. If you missed it, you can see it here. 

December 6, 2019 11:01 am  #23

RadioActive wrote:

Interesting to hear John Moore on CFRB Friday morning subtly implying that the ratings at 1010 were up, and things were looking good, especially for AM drive. He also made a mention of "changes" in the market - referring to Matt Galloway's last day as host of Metro Morning and welcoming any CBC listeners to the AM side of life.  

WOW!! A radio station acknowledging the existence of another station?! We live in wondrous times. 

December 6, 2019 10:25 pm  #24

Very interesting to read Bell Media’s self-glorifying interpretation of the latest numbers. Lots of choosy qualifiers about best results in “commercial” radio (read non-CBC) for 1010 mornings and “large’ increases for TSN1050 (forgetting to mention that the start point was virtually zero). Wordsmithing at its best.
And John Moore tweeted it out as as great news. (Corporate “encouragement” involved.?)

December 7, 2019 10:42 am  #25

Jay Baxter wrote:

Very interesting to read Bell Media’s self-glorifying interpretation of the latest numbers. Lots of choosy qualifiers about best results in “commercial” radio (read non-CBC) for 1010 mornings and “large’ increases for TSN1050 (forgetting to mention that the start point was virtually zero). Wordsmithing at its best.
And John Moore tweeted it out as as great news. (Corporate “encouragement” involved.?)

Bell is just doing what good companies do..promote. Overall they must be happy with the radio ratings, especially with 104.5 CHUM. Even TSN 1050 is going the right way and they have a great opportunity with the fact that the Fan 590 appears to be in a slump with all of Rogers changes and cutbacks.  Bell has done a great job cross promoting their radio and television divisions, and the ratings in both television and radio in Toronto at least are reflecting this. In terms of promotion for all of their programs and divisions, Bell is doing circles around the competition.

John Moore should be promoting and pleased with his morning show. He has great ratings and the fact that 680 News and Newstalk 1010 are both strong AM radio stations with good numbers is something to be proud of.

Corus is starting to take a page from what Bell has been doing. The Global Newsradio stations and the cross promo with television is a logical move and should pay off for them. Only stickler would be that the company is for sale, so this arrangement may not last, if the radio and television divisions are sold separately.

If CBC were on the ball, they should be promoting the fact that CBC Radio One is strong right across the country in almost every major market. They are often number one in the ratings or always in the top 3. Great opportunity for them and they should take advantage. CBC really is need of promoting themselves better than they do.

Last edited by paterson1 (December 7, 2019 10:54 am)

December 7, 2019 3:10 pm  #26

Kilgore wrote:

Jay Baxter wrote:

Very interesting to read Bell Media’s self-glorifying interpretation of the latest numbers

BCE's shares are trading 20% higher than a year ago.    Good news for widows and orphans + anyone who intends to avail themselves of the Canada Pension Plan, eh?     Or not?

I find it hilariously ironic that people think BCE shares only apply to OTHER people and not THEM. When, in fact, investment in BCE appears in almost all retirement options including the federal government's. So, if you will refuse your OAS and CPP incomes, you are also a "widow, orphan"...

December 7, 2019 7:29 pm  #27

RadioActive wrote:

Does he really believe that? Virtually nobody is going to switch from CBC to 1010 because of a host change. 

December 7, 2019 7:34 pm  #28

Mike Richards wrote:

As for CKNT (Which calls letters are not used, unless in a CRTC or a legal capacity..) Newstalk Sauga960 will be Numeris in 1 year. I

That is a really bad idea. It's what killed Roundhouse Radio in Vancouver in the end. Sell locally; sell on relationships and goodwill from the community. Registering a 0.3 will end it.

December 8, 2019 1:35 am  #29

Our circumstance is grossly different from Roundhouse. Not that I need to get into details, but we don't have that kind of overhead. Not a fraction of it. We are now finding a mix between local and agency buys. For example, my title sponsor will be announced 1st day of the New Year. They are National, but manufacture locally. They also have naming rights to the studio itself. I know a number of those that were at Roundhouse. These paths are not the same...There are no preconceived or unreasonable numbers that we need to hit out of the gate to stay alive... If the first Numeris number was a 0,3, it would just be our first number....

December 8, 2019 1:43 am  #30

The three stations that dominate the discussion on this board get a combined 4.5 share. Is anyone feeling irrelevant?