sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 6, 2019 7:28 pm  #1

Ken Shaw Just Retired On Air

Sure caught me by surprise.

Update:  

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ctv-news-toronto-s-veteran-anchor-ken-shaw-announces-retirement-1.4719052

Last edited by SpinningWheel (December 6, 2019 7:30 pm)

December 6, 2019 7:53 pm  #2

Re: Ken Shaw Just Retired On Air

I am curious who will replace Ken. Someone from CTV Toronto or perhaps Ottawa, Montreal or Vancouver?

December 6, 2019 8:00 pm  #3

mace wrote:

I am curious who will replace Ken. Someone from CTV Toronto or perhaps Ottawa, Montreal or Vancouver?

I'm guessing it'll be anyone who has been doing noon news lately instead of Ken. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 6, 2019 8:32 pm  #4

I don't watch CTV News. I don't have cable. And as a Hamiltonian (now living in St Catharines) CHCH had my loyalty as a viewer.

Anyway. I wanna call it right now. NICK DIXON gets the job. And I'll tell you why.

He was CHCH's 6 and 11pm anchor. He and Michelle co-anchored the CHCH 6pm news after Canwest forced Dan McLean to retire. He left CHCH and went to CP24. Suddenly, he's at CTV doing weekends. I found it odd he would take that role.

We'll find out at noon on Monday. My bets on Nick Dixon.

December 6, 2019 8:41 pm  #5

Brad wrote:

We'll find out at noon on Monday. My bets on Nick Dixon.

It is very difficult to doubt you, but Nick is also one of the best reporters CTV currently has. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 6, 2019 8:50 pm  #6

No "conspiracy" "theories" implying Mr. Shaw was "strongly" "encouraged" to "retire"?

December 6, 2019 11:08 pm  #7

we will see it depends if humanresources is filling the position or an executive producer

Radiowiz wrote:

mace wrote:

I'm guessing it'll be anyone who has been doing noon news lately instead of Ken. 

December 7, 2019 2:13 pm  #8

I wonder if Ken Shaw is actually retiring, or was he "retired" by Bell like other high salaried anchors such as Lance Brown, Joe Tilley, Tom Gibney, Christine Bentley, Dave Devall, Kate Wheeler and I am sure there are others.   And this list is just from Toronto.

December 7, 2019 3:03 pm  #9

Just a Radio Fan wrote:

I wonder if Ken Shaw is actually retiring, or was he "retired" by Bell like other high salaried anchors such as Lance Brown, Joe Tilley, Tom Gibney, Christine Bentley, Dave Devall, Kate Wheeler and I am sure there are others.   And this list is just from Toronto.

Hmmmm....

TheConsultant wrote:

No "conspiracy" "theories" implying Mr. Shaw was "strongly" "encouraged" to "retire"?

??? 

December 7, 2019 5:32 pm  #10

Not to toot my own horn, but I did correctly predict Michelle Dube getting Christine's job. But I can't find the page on here where that was discussed for the life of me.

December 7, 2019 6:21 pm  #11

Just a Radio Fan wrote:

Well Ken is of retirement age and his health has not been the best of late which he mentioned in his good bye. And he isn't totally retiring since he said he would be doing some special assignments for CTV News.  Let's see if that happens.

Some of the people listed above like Dave Devall, Tom Gibney and Christine Bentley were of the retirement age and beyond so not surprising that they left. It is also possible that some approached CTV/Bell wanting a package or to be retired. This happens in the newspaper business all the time.  I know it is easy to always speculate that people were pushed out or encouraged in the current broadcast environment, but some people actually do want to retire and some if given the opportunity to leave a few years early are more than happy to take the offer.

Last edited by paterson1 (December 7, 2019 6:22 pm)

December 7, 2019 7:07 pm  #12

Couldn't agree more ... lots of people (myself included) retire with less than 40 years of service, and it can be a very good thing to do for one's health as long as it is the person's choice. Wishing him all the best.

December 9, 2019 9:18 am  #13

On CFRB Monday morning, Kew Shaw talked to John Moore about why he was leaving. At one point, he recalled his time at CHFI, mentioning the late, great Bob Durant as a kind of mentor. 

And he related that one of his first radio jobs was at what he called "the real WKRP," aka CHIC Brampton, the place owned by the infamous Allen Brothers. Never worked there (thankfully) but I've heard so much about that place that it's almost impossible to believe all the stories about it. 

If anyone here ever passed through those doors, I'd love to know if even half the tall tales told over the years about how crazy (and cheap) the station really was, are true.  

December 9, 2019 11:51 am  #14

When is Marilyn Denis retiring.

December 11, 2019 5:49 pm  #15

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.