sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 2, 2019 6:01 pm  #1

Guy Goes Overboard With Radio Bumper Stickers On His Car

After reading the linked article, I couldn't help but wonder: radio folks are the most likely to have access to a ton of radio station promotional stickers. But does anybody really put them on their car anymore? 

I would never put anything on my junky 13-year-old wheels.(And yep, I'm hoping to get a new one in the spring.) My understanding is they're hard to get off, they can rip or fade and look ugly and what do you do if the station you're so proud to advertise for suddenly changes formats - or worse, fires you?

Has anyone here ever done more than collect the stickers and actually put one (or several) on their car? Any regrets if you did? And in a time of tightening belts, do stations even bother with these things now?

A quest for public radio bumper stickers: ‘My Corolla is less a car now than a mobile museum’ 

December 2, 2019 6:15 pm  #2

Re: Guy Goes Overboard With Radio Bumper Stickers On His Car

Looks a lot like Dale Patterson's Rockradioscrapbook homepage! I always make time on Sunday to check out and see who is on the Aircheck of the Week. Love to listen to the old airchecks. Just a few weeks ago I listened to the montage of number one hits on 1050 chum. Fantastic!!

December 2, 2019 6:27 pm  #3

That's actually from an advertising page, giving examples from the company that makes them. Here are a few more: 

December 2, 2019 8:55 pm  #4

A DXer friend of mine had a van festooned with bumper stickers back in the day...

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

December 2, 2019 10:17 pm  #5

Dave Whatmough? A very experienced DXer who heard just about every station in existence back in the day. I last saw Dave and his van a good few years ago. Dave, you on this board?

December 4, 2019 10:19 am  #6

I have some pictures of Dave's old van, may it rust in peace. 

And yes, I made sure Gabe got some WXXI and WRUR stickers in the mail to add to his ride...

December 4, 2019 10:27 am  #7

Not sure if this is the same Dave you're talking about, but there is an author by that name with a book that would seem to fit his interests.

Hasn't sold many copies, but it was obviously a labour of love!

The 50 Year Directory of Canadian 45 and 78 RPM Records, 1940-1990

December 4, 2019 10:37 am  #8

So when this car is parked in the lot - could you say that the vehicle is "Station"-nary?
(thank you!  thank you!)

Cheers,
Jody Thornton