sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 2, 2019 1:02 pm  #1

Day That Lives In Rock & Roll Infamy Happened 40 Yrs. Ago This Week

There are all kinds of infamous days in rock and roll history – Buddy Holly’s plane crash, John Lennon’s murder, Kurt Cobain’s suicide, etc. etc.

But Dec. 3rd marks a major tragedy not only for one of rock’s great bands but for its many fans. Tuesday is the 40th anniversary of the infamous 1979 Who concert in Cincinnati, that saw 11 fans crushed to death by a surging crowd and forever changed the way tickets to those shows are sold.

Cincinnati TV station WCPO is airing an hour-long primetime documentary on the tragedy, complete with rare interviews with original band members Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend, who admits “I’m still traumatized by it.”

Memorials remain outside of the stadium and in the town where most of the kids came from, their peers now long grown up and with families of their own. Some are featured in the documentary, which I believe will be put up on the station’s website once it airs locally. (Although I have no idea if it will be geoblocked.)

This was such a landmark event that WKRP In Cincinnati actually devoted an entire episode to it, a rare show that took the comedy to a very serious turn.

You can see a mini-preview here, but we’ll have to wait and see if you can watch the whole thing over the web after it airs.

December 2, 2019 3:07 pm  #2

Re: Day That Lives In Rock & Roll Infamy Happened 40 Yrs. Ago This Week

The show will air 8-9pm Dec 3rd on the ABC affilliate. It will simultaneously air on wcpo.com. A companion podcast will be available Dec 4th as well as an expanded documentary on the WCPO app.

December 3, 2019 9:04 pm  #3

It's not geoblocked and it's on now if you see this between 8 and 9 PM Tuesday. 

https://www.wcpo.com/live

December 3, 2019 10:19 pm  #4

They've put it up on their site for those who missed it. How long it stays there, I'm not sure. But for now, you can see it on demand:

https://www.wcpo.com/news/the-who-the-night-that-changed-rock/the-who-concert-watch-the-wcpo-documentary-the-who-the-night-that-changed-rock