sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 30, 2019 6:52 pm  #1

Late Notice: Buffalo Broadcasters Special On OTA TV Saturday Night

Sorry about the late posting, but I just noticed this. At 7 PM Saturday night, TV listings indicate that WNYO, Channel 49, is showing a two hour special about the latest Buffalo Broadcasters Hall of Fame inductions. 

Among those who were admitted in a ceremony held last September include veteran play-by-play "voice of the Bills" John Murphy, current Detroit and former Buffalo anchor Sherry Margolis, longtime investigative reporter Tony Farina and a tribute to the late, great Larry Anderson of WGR Radio fame.

I have no idea what to expect from the show or if it will be any good, but I thought some here should know in advance so they can catch it if they want - and if they can get the station, which I don't think is available via cable or satellite in Canada.

Buffalo Broadcasters Hall of Fame

November 30, 2019 7:46 pm  #2

Re: Late Notice: Buffalo Broadcasters Special On OTA TV Saturday Night

According to the station's website, this special will also re-air on Sat., Dec. 14th at 7 PM.

December 2, 2019 7:41 am  #3

WNYO is offered by Rogers in a non HD format on ch 167.

December 2, 2019 2:03 pm  #4

mace wrote:

WNYO is offered by Rogers in a non HD format on ch 167.

Only in two Theme Packs:

Canadian & U.S. Timeshifting:  $6.00/month
Super Sports Pak:  $35.95/month

I'm tempted to try the first one because Buffalo PBS' schedule is often different from what other PBS stations are offering;  although I hate to increase my viewing costs.

Last edited by Media Observer (December 2, 2019 2:06 pm)

December 2, 2019 2:18 pm  #5

The time shifting package is a good deal. You receive all the network affilliates from Seattle in HD which is good for avoiding simsub plus you get PBS Detroit, unfortunately not in HD.

December 2, 2019 3:29 pm  #6

While the special was a one-off, even being noted as paid advertising on the station, it was just O.K. The part with Larry Anderson and John Murphy were the standouts. 

But paying for WNYO? I'm not sure why you'd want to. Outside of this special, I can't think of the last time I watched the station, although a few of their subcarriers are fun, especially the cheesy sci-fi network "Comet."

MyTV, as it's branded, is composed of old reruns and informercials and there's not a lot of reasons to watch it.

It was great when it was a WB affiliate, but when they merged with the UPN to become the "CW" and moved the signal to Channel 23, much of the reason to get it was lost. Still, if you're like me, a signal is a signal and if it's there, I want to be able to receive it.

But I would never consider paying for this one.